SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Having seen Shrewsbury twice Tom , I will be astounded if they keep this up ! 

A long way to go ...

Well Blackburn Rovers were pretty poor at Shrewsbury and Dack' s equaliser from our view was undeserving of your teams performance on that day.

Yes it was a good performance against us and you deserved the 3-1 win, but if anyone thinks we have got to second with more wins, fewer losses and by playing a game less so far than Rovers is through luck and by playing shit then they are fools.

You all know that stats lie, bar their goal Bristol Rovers shots yesterday were either way off target from distance or an easy pick up for the keeper

This clip from the 89 minute yesterday sums us up nicely

https://twitter.com/B_and_A_Fanzine/status/959832155303153664/video/1

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Hopefully, even if we don't go up, I would hope that Mowbray is still here next season.  

I would keep him

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Still doesn't take away the fact people are enjoying their football again JH after years of absolute crap, and whilst I don't want to spend years down in 3rd division, the gates suggest not everyone finds the experience as traumatic as posters on here do.

I don't think we're underachieving, for many reasons, but you're right about Mowbray setting the bar, he'll have to offer his resignation if we don't go up, which is a shame because I believe you don't progress having to change managers and players every 12 months, especially when you're skint. 

I have really enjoyed this season and the most enjoyment since Mark Hughes's days as manager here

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who thinks Mowbray's got what it takes to take this team up ? I'd love to be proved wrong but I don't think he has. The same mistakes are being made now that were being made in August.

I think he has. backed him all season and I see zero reason why change now. backed him when we were 12 points adrift from top 2 after 11 games and now we are 2 points behind second after 30 games

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yet there is still a need for constant changes to the team and tactics and the leaving of good players on the bench.

Why oh why when we've shown what we can do in patches especially when the attacking options are even stronger now. TM gets a lot of stuff right despite the hysteria but he really has an Achilles heel.

constant changes? changing 1 or 2 players each game is normal in football these days and 99% of managers and teams do it. 

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Took Sheff Utd 5 seasons someone said.

I think about our first relegation from the Prem and the struggle we had despite having the biggest budget, best players and best facilities, made no difference, we blew it. We almost blew promotion in 91 despite being the wealthiest club in the country! 

For some reason the same rules don't apply now? and we're coming from the worst position in the clubs history? 

Leeds and Sheff Wed took a while to get out of this league aswell. 

7 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

Well Blackburn Rovers were pretty poor at Shrewsbury and Dack' s equaliser from our view was undeserving of your teams performance on that day.

Yes it was a good performance against us and you deserved the 3-1 win, but if anyone thinks we have got to second with more wins, fewer losses and by playing a game less so far than Rovers is through luck and by playing shit then they are fools.

You all know that stats lie, bar their goal Bristol Rovers shots yesterday were either way off target from distance or an easy pick up for the keeper

This clip from the 89 minute yesterday sums us up nicely

https://twitter.com/B_and_A_Fanzine/status/959832155303153664/video/1

Can’t deny you lot have been a bit lucky with your late winners, if you expect to keep that tradition up your struggling. We are the better team and I hope that shows at the end of the season. That being said it would be criminal if the top 3 weren’t the ones that went up as they have been head and shoulders above the rest so I do hope that’s the case also 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have really enjoyed this season and the most enjoyment since Mark Hughes's days as manager here

We had some tough seasons in the Premier League after Hughes left, and being in a perennial relegation battle is never much fun, but I find it astonishing that anyone could enjoy being in the third division instead of dining at the top table in the richest and most competitive league in the world

Hands up all those who would rather be in the third division than in the Prem? 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would keep him

I think he has. backed him all season and I see zero reason why change now. backed him when we were 12 points adrift from top 2 after 11 games and now we are 2 points behind second after 30 games

constant changes? changing 1 or 2 players each game is normal in football these days and 99% of managers and teams do it. 

Leeds and Sheff Wed took a while to get out of this league aswell. 

People are enjoying it more because we are winning more. It really is that simple. It will not last beyond this season. Beyond that it is our first season at this level in generations, big fish in a small pond, expecting to win every week, new clubs and grounds. I think that would ignite people's interest whether it was Mowbray or someone else in the dugout.

It doesn't mean we should enjoy being at this level. I'd sooner sit mid-table in the Championship for a few years than push for promotion in this league and keep missing out. The novelty factor of playing new teams and expecting to win every week will wear off if we stabilise at this level.

Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds were both virtually bankrupt which was the reason they ended up at this level and took a while to get out of it.

The fact that you are now making references to other 'fallen giants' who have ended up at this level through financial disaster or mismanagement and have failed to bounce back immediately suggests to me you are preparing yourself or your excuses in the event we fail - by pointing to other examples of clubs that didn't do it.

I don't think I've read a single post on this website in recent weeks from anyone suggesting he should be sacked at this stage. That technically means everyone is 'backing' him. Most people have the sense to realise you don't fire your manager in February when challenging for promotion. But what I have seen is a lot of people voicing legitimate concerns about our performances and form. At the moment it isn't good enough for automatic promotion. Play offs = lottery ticket with a 25% chance of a win. Mowbray himself has admitted things haven't been good enough after several games recently. 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

We had some tough seasons in the Premier League after Hughes left, and being in a perennial relegation battle is never much fun, but I find it astonishing that anyone could enjoy being in the third division instead of dining at the top table in the richest and most competitive league in the world

Hands up all those who would rather be in the third division than in the Prem? 

Tough choice. Beating Arsenal 2-1 at Ewood with 26,000+ on, finishing 10th in the PL whilst Burnley get relegated at the same time, OR beating Shrewsbury 3-1  with less than 14k on to climb to 2nd in League One whilst Burnley sit in the top half of the Premier League. 

Yeah, I'll go with the 2009/2010 season thanks.

Oh, and for anybody who thinks I'm exaggerating that PL attendance figure - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8647514.stm - Att: 26,138

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t deny you lot have been a bit lucky with your late winners, if you expect to keep that tradition up your struggling. We are the better team and I hope that shows at the end of the season. That being said it would be criminal if the top 3 weren’t the ones that went up as they have been head and shoulders above the rest so I do hope that’s the case also 

Not sure how late winners are considered lucky, plus we still had about 6 plus minutes after yesterdays goals. 

I put the late winners down to the players self belief that they are better and will eventually break the opposition down whose tiredness can be concentration as well., rather than settling for the draw. How many times have the title winning teams of Man Utd and Liverpool done it over the years....

For the record we have had 5 late winners this season from 85 minutes onward, Northampton (H), Doncaster (A), Rotherham (A), Fleetwood (H) and Bristol R (A).

Interested to know how Rovers compare 

6 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is amazing that the world is still spinning.

There are too many matches still to play for so many posters to be writing off the season.

Any of the top 3 could lose key players to injury or suspension between now and the end of the season. The standard of refereeing is so poor - any of the teams could lose a key match down to a dodgy decision.

We had one match where the team played poorly - and unlike other matches one of our class players (like Dack (heavily marked) or Mulgrew (injured)) didn't provide a spark of genius to get us a goal. People seem to forget that actually followed an exciting performance against Walsall.

Am I depressed we got beat - and fallen further behind Shewsbury and Wigan - of course, but not ready to throw the towel in for automatic promotion yet like some other posters.

I said at the beginning of the season that we would not finish top 2. I have been saying it ever since and over the last few weeks I've said we'll finish 3rd. How can that be interpreted as "throwing in the towel"?

• Backroom

If something happens often enough it isn't luck, it's happening for a reason. In Shrewsbury's case they clearly keep going right to the end and are defensively sound enough to always be in with a chance of winning a game late on. Even if we had scored a late goal on Saturday we still would have been 2-1 down because we can't stop giving away stupid goals.

Just now, STFC7-1 said:

Not sure how late winners are considered lucky, plus we still had about 6 plus minutes after yesterdays goals. 

I put the late winners down to the players self belief that they are better and will eventually break the opposition down whose tiredness can be concentration as well., rather than settling for the draw. How many times have the title winning teams of Man Utd and Liverpool done it over the years....

For the record we have had 5 late winners this season from 85 minutes onward, Northampton (H), Doncaster (A), Rotherham (A), Fleetwood (H) and Bristol R (A).

It's not lucky. It looks like the sign of a team who never know when to give up and have a winning mentality to me.

I thought your form would dip eventually but it hasn't happened yet. 

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Completely disagree.  We are heading in the right direction and even if we don't go up this season I would much prefer to see Mowbray continue next season.  I still believe that promotion is achievable this season but I certainly wouldn't want to sack another manager and end up with another period of turmoil.  There are never any guarantees in football and if spending money counted for everything then Manchester United wouldn't have had such a barren period in the seventies and eighties.

Parson, you are assuming Venkys will fund us at this same level if we fail to go up. I assume they won't.

Secondly our better players will attract offers, particularly Dack and Mulgrew but others as well.They will want to go and Venkys will want to cash in.

If he stays TM will have to start the rebuilding all over again. Cue "this is substantially a new side and TM needs time to get it right".

Repeat ad nauseam.The cycle of the natural order.

Just now, Hasta said:

It's not lucky. It looks like the sign of a team who never know when to give up and have a winning mentality to me.

I thought your form would dip eventually but it hasn't happened yet. 

Thing is there is a long way to go with 48 / 51 points to play for so one of us might do a Bradford yet? 

I find it surprising , and funny that some of your fans are in meltdown after your defeat at Plymouth.... you were going to lose eventually and Plymouth away is a difficult place to go, plus I am pleased you have to go to Portsmouth soon as well.

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Sorry did I quote you ?

No, of course not. I am merely pointing out that to predict we won't finish Top 2 is not throwing in the towel! :)

Based on our defensive lapses its a fair assessment I'd say.

7 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

Thing is there is a long way to go with 48 / 51 points to play for so one of us might do a Bradford yet? 

I find it surprising , and funny that some of your fans are in meltdown after your defeat at Plymouth.... you were going to lose eventually and Plymouth away is a difficult place to go, plus I am pleased you have to go to Portsmouth soon as well.

Yep long way to go. Hopefully we will have Mulgrew back when we go to Portsmouth. That's key in my eyes.

43 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

It shows that you go right to the end however in the grand scheme of things for the ball to break, player mistakes etc I would consider it lucky to get goals 5 times at that time. Do I consider Shrewsbury a good team- no. They are well prepared and organised with a good team ethic of working together. In comparison we have no late winners after 85 with small woods against Fleetwood the only one in the last ten. We have had chances to win games late on but player errors, good goalkeeping etc have got in the way. In that respect I would say we are due a few and Shrewsbury are maybe due a few late draws or defeats to balance it out, as they say happens over the course of a season 

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I would consider it lucky to get goals 5 times at that time. Do I consider Shrewsbury a good team- no. They are well prepared and organised with a good team ethic of working together. 

They've been top 2 practically all season, and it took West Ham 190 minutes to break them down, but nah they aren't a good team.  :wacko:

There is more to a good team than a load of show ponies full of stepovers and back heels you know.

12 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Do I consider Shrewsbury a good team- no. They are well prepared and organised with a good team ethic of working together. 

These sentences are contradictory. They are the definition of a team, no star individuals, working for each other. 

6 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

saw Pompey batter shrewsbury and even have a very blatant handball not given as a penalty so I do feel shreewsbury have lucky breaks 

Luck evens itself out over a season. Whoever finishes higher deserves it. Referees are poor but they dont favour anyone.

• Backroom

Shrewsbury have been no luckier than us, they do the simple things and deserve to be up above us. I'm sure we've had 2-3 own goals in our favour this season.

On the day at Ewood they were potentially the worst team we've played however that was obviously an off day and if they do what's expected against the rest of the league they'll remain up there. We've lost to Plymouth, Southend, Doncaster, Oldham and Wimbledon and that will be our undoing not the luck of other teams.

How very diplomatic of you all to say that luck has no part to play in how well teams are doing. I however totally disagree. Even things like having lenihan injured for all of the season is unlucky. It’s a fine line at times and feel that Shrewsbury have had more run of the green than ourselves. As for a good team, if they went up they would be favourites to come straight back down. Not dissing them as they have done minor miracles however a good team, I’m not buying it. This is a poor league throughout and I’m including ourselves in that

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Hang on is the season over? Is this a Shrewsbury tribute thread? Where did we finish? I feel nauseus.

Final Score after 2 games: Rovers 4 Shrews 1

Check the table in May methinks.

About as relevant come the end of the season as Plymouth 3 Rovers 1

Archived