BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some rubbish talked on here. We are two down because our defence isn’t promotion standard, and have been undone by two perennial weaknesses: a set-piece (needlessly given away by Armstrong btw) and a break from their own penalty area when we had over-committed players forward. Add in the facts that Dack is being marked tighter than a duck’s arse and Graham would get around faster in a mobility scooter, which is why we haven’t tested the keeper.

Only bright point for me is the way Bennett is spraying the ball around in midfield.

• Backroom
Just now, Gav said:

This post is embarrassing.

Why? I've been talking about our defensive issues for a while, even during our unbeaten run, so it isn't a knee jerk reaction. I've said before that we'll have big problems if Mulgrew is injured and here we are. 

Disappointing post from you Gav. 

For me it's more about the actual tactics laid out rather than selection which is the biggest issue there aren't many changes today but the way the are playing is totally different.

Trying to knock it about slowly from the back and keep possession, as manager he should know weare not good enough to do this by a long way. Much as i like TM he has proven flaws one of which is being terrified to keep on the front foot and have a go every game, he has plenty form for these tactics.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not as simple as blaming conway. Jesus talk about singling a lad out 

No true..but currently he is the weakest link.  Great pro for us over the last few years and doesn't deserve stick... but whatever he had, has gone and he should not be starting home or away. He won't create anything going forward as he can't go past a man.  Sounds like a bad day at the office all round. 

This won't stay 2 0 though.  We will either pull it back or get Walloped. 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Plymouth have some big lads at the back so Graham won't be as effective.  Nuttall and Samuel on second half for Conway and Graham. 

you're spot on with that observation WWWM, which is why I can't fathom our sole method of attack in the first half of constantly lumping balls into the box from left and right and we haven't come close to winning one.

Get Conway off and Payne on, get the ball on the deck and play through them. Attack, attack, attack. I seem to remember being 2 down against this lot before...........!

COYB!!

From a manager who was a centre half himself as a player you would think defence would be our strong point but it’s hopeless. How many soft goals have we gave away this year, I worry about going up as we are rarely comfortable and mostly scrape by. Wigan are so far ahead of us quality wise 

2 minutes ago, Al said:

With an attacking, pressing team Carey would have had to some defending and we could have at least one goal. Attack is always Rovers best tactic with the players we have available..

Id have played Payne instead of Conway but that does not mean that we have to blame Conway for every single thing. Other than that u r right tho

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Mowbray's natural caution showing through again with his team selection. His teams always play better when they attack so why does he do it?

Substitute Bowyer for Mowbray and it’s Groundhog Day just a division lower.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

From a manager who was a centre half himself as a player you would think defence would be our strong point but it’s hopeless. How many soft goals have we gave away this year, I worry about going up as we are rarely comfortable and mostly scrape by. Wigan are so far ahead of us quality wise 

We always just scrape by...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not as simple as blaming conway. Jesus talk about singling a lad out 

Come on, he's been dreadful all season (if not last as well) and appears to be completely past it. It's s game of fine margins sometimes and in a lot of games you can't afford any passengers. If we had a bit more momentum to our offensive play perhaps the defence wouldn't be undet as much pressure.

As good as he's been for us this season, Downing is to blame for both goals. Fails to win the aerial challenge for the first and falls over for the 2nd.

Can't believe people are blaming Conway for the performance, he's done nothing wrong and no worse than any of the other players on the pitch. 

The direct approach is not working, Plymouth are superior in the air. Need to get the ball more to Armstrong who has looked really dangerous in his attacks early on.

• Backroom

Can't all be down to Conway but playing him is a shocking decision he  was abysmal last Saturday and led to us conceding whilst never looking a threat 

Archived