BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Shrewsburys budget and resources are meagre in comparison, theyve barely added to a squad that finished I think 18th last season. If they finished above us, they'd have exceeded expectations just as we'd have underachieved. They'd then deserve as much praise as we'd deserve criticism, its not arrogant to say that, the thing that people miss is Mowbray saying himself, what sort of manager would he if he failed to achieve promotion. Shrewsbury have done brilliantly and arent going away, lets hope our quality is utilised efficiently by the manager and shines through.

Fair comment......but regarding our squad

Matt Sadler and Shaun Whalley are the only players remaining from the squad Hurst inherited in November last season when we had 10 points from something like 19 games and were 6 points adrift at the bottom . Under Hurst with a few new players such as Rodman and Toto Nsiala in January we collected another 41 points to stay up. Hurst signed 14 new players in the close season and whilst it is peanuts to Rovers it is believed we have paid around 500k in undisclosed fees.

https://twitter.com/B_and_A_Fanzine/status/959832155303153664/video/1

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I think Wigan are a Pier too far.

Shrews are doable.

I going for Rovers to finished 2nd and so fail my "entitlement" allowance, which promised being numero uno.

Auto promotion will have to suffice. I hope I can bear it.

Is that the difference???

Shrewsbury don't think Wigan are a pier too far.......

13 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

Matt Sadler and Shaun Whalley are the only players remaining from the squad Hurst inherited in November last season when we had 10 points from something like 19 games and were 6 points adrift at the bottom . Under Hurst with a few new players such as Rodman and Toto Nsiala in January we collected another 41 points to stay up. Hurst signed 14 new players in the close season and whilst it is peanuts to Rovers it is believed we have paid around 500k in undisclosed fees.

That's a serious achievement. Hurst must be seen as some kind of hero there? Or are people still kind of in shock with what he has achieved?

He will surely be gone in the summer regardless of whether you go up or not?

1 minute ago, STFC7-1 said:

Is that the difference???

Shrewsbury don't think Wigan are a pier too far.......

No. Just my poor attempt at humour a 4 am bkk time.

We will beat Wigan at Ewood making it 4 points taken off them...same as off Shrews.

If we can cure conceeding poor goals we can still be Champions but that needs Wigan to falter too.

Shrews are much more doable.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's a serious achievement. Hurst must be seen as some kind of hero there? Or are people still kind of in shock with what he has achieved?

Pretty much

Yes we do think Hurst may be gone, but to the clubs in the Championship the reality is they are all snobby and PH hasn't achieved anything yet, and even if we did go up the fans and owners would be demanding a big name. 

The likes of Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday were not interested.....Sheffield worried our fans as Hurst is a born and bred Sheffield and Wednesday fan.

Were Rovers fans underwhelmed when Tony Mowbray was appointed?

14 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

I would think that your biggest asset is your manager, the consistency and seemingly the workrate hes instilled in your team in incredible really, I thought your team was poor the other week at Ewood, and almost appeared overwhelmed as well as outclassed. Yet you bounce back again, all these late winners and 1 goal wins are anything but luck.

Main point I was raising was distinguishing between meeting expectations, and a sense of entitlement.

League tables dont lie, you deserve to be above us, theres no argument against that.

Our manager said before the season, and he echoed what the fans though, that what sort of manager would he be if he couldnt get our squad promoted. All of our new signings proclaimed how they were aiming solely for promotion, we were favourites for promotion, and I think it was fair. 

We kept Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett, Graham etc, players who will be on wages that clubs like yourselves wouldnt be able to get near, players who were linked with moves back to the Championship because they have performed well there in the past and were our best players last season. We spent alot in the summer, 750k on Dack (one of the best players in the league), spent more including 500k on Samuel (whose turned out to be poor but just shows our spending power) and have signed Whittingham, Smallwood etc who we apparently beat Championship sides to so no doubt have offered them decent wages.

If at the end of the season, assuming Wigan are champions, if you went up over us, I dont know what your manager aimed for in pre season but our fans would rightfully feel like we'd underachieved considering our comparative resources. That said, you get what you deserve over a season, so I just hope we finish in the top 2.

2 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

Pretty much

Yes we do think Hurst may be gone, but to the clubs in the Championship the reality is they are all snobby and PH hasn't achieved anything yet, and even if we did go up the fans and owners would be demanding a big name. 

The likes of Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday were not interested.....Sheffield worried our fans as Hurst is a born and bred Sheffield and Wednesday fan.

Were Rovers fans underwhelmed when Tony Mowbray was appointed?

The initial reaction of most fans was being underwhelmed. After the dust settled though,and people thought back on what we have had managing the club since Allardyce was sacked ,most got behind him. He almost pulled off a miracle and kept us up then. Good recruitment,just overly cautious in certain games. If he gets us promoted ,he will be a hero. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I would think that your biggest asset is your manager, the consistency and seemingly the workrate hes instilled in your team in incredible really, I thought your team was poor the other week at Ewood, and almost appeared overwhelmed as well as outclassed. Yet you bounce back again, all these late winners and 1 goal wins are anything but luck.

Main point I was raising was distinguishing between meeting expectations, and a sense of entitlement.

League tables dont lie, you deserve to be above us, theres no argument against that.

Our manager said before the season, and he echoed what the fans though, that what sort of manager would he be if he couldnt get our squad promoted. All of our new signings proclaimed how they were aiming solely for promotion, we were favourites for promotion, and I think it was fair. 

We kept Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett, Graham etc, players who will be on wages that clubs like yourselves wouldnt be able to get near, players who were linked with moves back to the Championship because they have performed well there in the past and were our best players last season. We spent alot in the summer, 750k on Dack (one of the best players in the league), spent more including 500k on Samuel (whose turned out to be poor but just shows our spending power) and have signed Whittingham, Smallwood etc who we apparently beat Championship sides to so no doubt have offered them decent wages.

If at the end of the season, assuming Wigan are champions, if you went up over us, I dont know what your manager aimed for in pre season but our fans would rightfully feel like we'd underachieved considering our comparative resources. That said, you get what you deserve over a season, so I just hope we finish in the top 2.

Can't argue with much of that. 

In 2003 we actually slipped into the Conference by losing the last 10 games of the season from a pretty safe position in the table, it was the season we beat Everton in the FA Cup.

The following season the view was similar to what you say above, for that level in the football pyramid, we had to go up, and the only way was to win with only one automatic spot. We did get promoted but had to do it in the Play-off, that was nerve racking. There is nothing worse than losing League status, some fans crying because their team has been relegated from the Premier League need a dose of reality.

Financially we had to get up that season otherwise we could be stuck there.

Not knowing Rovers situation with parachute payments do you fear that if Rovers miss promotion you could be in the lower leagues for a while?

100 million debt is heavy handicap to carry if your income from tv and parachute payments disappear, and outside looking in as much as you loath them I wonder if Venkys jumping ship with you in League 1 would make the situation even worse?

15 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

Can't argue with much of that. 

In 2003 we actually slipped into the Conference by losing the last 10 games of the season from a pretty safe position in the table, it was the season we beat Everton in the FA Cup.

The following season the view was similar to what you say above, for that level in the football pyramid, we had to go up, and the only way was to win with only one automatic spot. We did get promoted but had to do it in the Play-off, that was nerve racking. There is nothing worse than losing League status, some fans crying because their team has been relegated from the Premier League need a dose of reality.

Financially we had to get up that season otherwise we could be stuck there.

Not knowing Rovers situation with parachute payments do you fear that if Rovers miss promotion you could be in the lower leagues for a while?

100 million debt is heavy handicap to carry if your income from tv and parachute payments disappear, and outside looking in as much as you loath them I wonder if Venkys jumping ship with you in League 1 would make the situation even worse?

To be honest, Im not really sure how much difference there is league by league financially once you leave the Prem, parachute payments are long gone.

If we dont go up, I cant see how we can keep Mulgrew, Dack and Lenihan, take out the loanees and youd have to say our chances of promotion will only wane year on year. Mowbray came in to save us last season, sadly he failed (mitigating circumstances meant the fanbase was still united behind him) but if we dont go up youd think he'd be out of a job in the summer.

Whereas I think your biggest priority in the summer if you didnt go up is keeping your manager, I dont think its offensive to suggest you dont have the same star quality in terms of individuals, you remind me of Burnley in terms of having an exceptional manager and a team who all know what they are doing and achieve beyond the sum of their parts.

Thats not to say you dont have good players, im sure the likes of Nolan would receive interest but I feel like if you took him our of your team and Dack or Mulgrew from ours, we'd suffer far more. I dont think we perform as efficiently as a team as you do.

All hypothetical I suppose, whilst we do have these star individuals and Im sure many of our fans would hope that a Dack or a Graham can give us that bit extra, Shrewsbury have less pressure and more points and games left. Tough one to call.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

To be honest, Im not really sure how much difference there is league by league financially once you leave the Prem, parachute payments are long gone.

If we dont go up, I cant see how we can keep Mulgrew, Dack and Lenihan, take out the loanees and youd have to say our chances of promotion will only wane year on year. Mowbray came in to save us last season, sadly he failed (mitigating circumstances meant the fanbase was still united behind him) but if we dont go up youd think he'd be out of a job in the summer.

Whereas I think your biggest priority in the summer if you didnt go up is keeping your manager, I dont think its offensive to suggest you dont have the same star quality in terms of individuals, you remind me of Burnley in terms of having an exceptional manager and a team who all know what they are doing and achieve beyond the sum of their parts.

Thats not to say you dont have good players, im sure the likes of Nolan would receive interest but I feel like if you took him our of your team and Dack or Mulgrew from ours, we'd suffer far more. I dont think we perform as efficiently as a team as you do.

All hypothetical I suppose, whilst we do have these star individuals and Im sure many of our fans would hope that a Dack or a Graham can give us that bit extra, Shrewsbury have less pressure and more points and games left. Tough one to call.

Yes it is key for us to keep Hurst, but hopefully when he does eventually go the infrastructure he has put in place will keep us going. Example is (showing my age here) in the early 80's when our then manager Graham Turner left to manage A Villa 3 seasons after taking us up and keeping us up to what is now the Championship. We stayed up there for another 7 seasons. There were no play-offs in those days but we flirted in the top 6 for a few seasons in the mid 80's finishing around the top 8. That is the best we have ever done but probably the ultimate we could ever expect?

I will finish for tonight. Decent fans message board by the way and good discussion. 

3 minutes ago, STFC7-1 said:

Yes it is key for us to keep Hurst, but hopefully when he does eventually go the infrastructure he has put in place will keep us going. Example is (showing my age here) in the early 80's when our then manager Graham Turner left to manage A Villa 3 seasons after taking us up and keeping us up to what is now the Championship. We stayed up there for another 7 seasons. There were no play-offs in those days but we flirted in the top 6 for a few seasons in the mid 80's finishing around the top 8. That is the best we have ever done but probably the ultimate we could ever expect?

I will finish for tonight. Decent fans message board by the way and good discussion. 

From what I've seen Hurst is something else though, surely manager of the year regardless of promotion, such is the progress made. 

Mowbrays done alot right but far from perfect, main positives are the harmony and unity really, can be found tactically wanting when trying to clever, that said his success or lack of will be determined by promotion. Simple as that.

• Backroom

Last seasons relegation proved you can't expect any favours from elsewhere or other teams to give us a chance to capitalise, another season we would have stayed up but all the teams around us had runs similar to ours.

We will drop points but we need to make sure we stop dropping silly points, too many times this season we've not won games due to the approach and trying to be too clever.

I think Shrewsbury have had their wobble and coped well with it and will be pretty solid in the run in, it's not over yet by a stretch but our Margin for error is going to shrink with every passing game.

I think we'll end up in third by a couple of points, I really don't fancy the play offs but at least we'd still have a chance!

3 hours ago, STFC7-1 said:

Jon Nolan is a great signing and a player who perform for you. Hope we sign him this summer if promote. 

Still think Wigan FA Cup run will effect their form shortly and slip back points way. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought he would get the Sheff Wed manager job when it came available. 

His achievement is very good so far there. 

1 hour ago, STFC7-1 said:

Yes it is key for us to keep Hurst, 

Yep it is. 

Big asset for you cos he has make some good signings and has Plan A and B. Something we lack under Mowbray is a plan B. 

If Hurst did go who would be a good appointment for your club and fans?

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Big asset for you cos he has make some good signings and has Plan A and B. Something we lack under Mowbray is a plan B. 

Plan A and B did do him much good against us a couple of weeks ago Chaddy when Tonys Plan A battered them. You sound like you'd prefer Hurst over Mowbray. .......? 

Put someone like him in charge of a big club like ours with all the shyte that's been going on and he' have crashed and burned. He's small time coach with no real expectations at a small time club.:brfc:

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Plan A and B did do him much good against us a couple of weeks ago Chaddy when Tonys Plan A battered them. You sound like you'd prefer Hurst over Mowbray. .......? 

Put someone like him in charge of a big club like ours with all the shyte that's been going on and he' have crashed and burned. He's small time coach with no real expectations at a small time club.:brfc:

You know my opinion on Mowbray and my backing for him all season. 

You could be right on Hurst and big club. Hope he stays there for a few more seasons

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Stop embarrassing us....

• Moderation Lead

Anyway, enough of all this talk about football- I can't believe nobody has asked any of the Shrewsbury fans if their town is pronounced as 'Shrowsbury' or as you'd expect it to be.

Don't leave us hanging lads, for goodness' sake!

Unless we have a spectacular loss of form we are virtually assured of a place in the playoffs so if I were Mowbray I'd pick an attacking side for every game and go all out for the victories. 

And it's Shroesberry. 

Stat attack:

If keep the same point/game ratio for the rest of the season we'll end up with 90/91 points. It has only happened once the last 20 years that 90+ points haven't been enough for automatic promotion. That was Sheff Utd in 2011/12 season with 90 points, they also lost out in the play-offs.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Anyway, enough of all this talk about football- I can't believe nobody has asked any of the Shrewsbury fans if their town is pronounced as 'Shrowsbury' or as you'd expect it to be.

Don't leave us hanging lads, for goodness' sake!

It was Poosbury when they last played us :P 

• Moderation Lead
47 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Unless we have a spectacular loss of form we are virtually assured of a place in the playoffs so if I were Mowbray I'd pick an attacking side for every game and go all out for the victories. 

And it's Shroesberry. 

Thank Goodness, I was hoping my whole life hadn't been a lie!

Archived