BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, roversfan99 said:

1 loss so change to a new formation that takes a lot of adapting to, with 2 full backs at centre back?

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Bennett Smallwood

Payne Dack Antonsson

Graham

And go for the throat.

And you'd throw two guys in that haven't played for months ? Lenihan' s had 60 minutes against some kids and I don't think Antonnson has had that.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And you'd throw two guys in that haven't played for months ? Lenihan' s had 60 minutes against some kids and I don't think Antonnson has had that.

Antonssons only been out a month, Mowbray said he wont need reserve football. If not him, Armstrong despite his wastefulness.

Downing for Lenihan if he needs another reserve game, that ones ambitious, but back in asap.

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nice team. I would like to see us play that 

Exactly

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

1 loss so change to a new formation that takes a lot of adapting to, with 2 full backs at centre back?

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Bennett Smallwood

Payne Dack Antonsson

Graham

And go for the throat.

Antonsson not fit. 

Lenihan only played 60 mins or so for reserve football. So no way ready for 1st team action. Need at least 2 reserve games. 

We need 2 strikers up front plus Dack in 10 role. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly

Antonsson not fit. 

Lenihan only played 60 mins or so for reserve football. So no way ready for 1st team action. Need at least 2 reserve games. 

We need 2 strikers up front plus Dack in 10 role. 

Why do we NEED 2 strikers considering how much of a threat we looked v Walsall with 3 playing off 1, and with Dack and Graham flourishing recently as a pair?

Also feel Payne needs to start.

Big change of formation unwarranted, would cause more harm than good at this point.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Why do we NEED 2 strikers considering how much of a threat we looked v Walsall with 3 playing off 1, and with Dack and Graham flourishing recently as a pair?

Also feel Payne needs to start.

Big change of formation unwarranted, would cause more harm than good at this point.

How would it cause harm? Only know when played. 

Give Graham more support and Bell and Travis can provide the width for them. Travis deserve a start. Play Armstrong up front where he be more off a threat for us. 

And you suggest starting 2 players, 1 who havent play since start of the season and 1 thats been out for 3 to 4weeks. Clearly dont have a clue do you?

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Give Graham more support and Bell and Travis can provide the width for them. Travis deserve a start. Play Armstrong up front where he be more off a threat for us. 

And you suggest starting 2 players, 1 who havent play since start of the season and 1 thats been out for 3 to 4weeks. Clearly dont have a clue do you?

Because firstly, weve played 4-2-3-1 for the run of 18 games unbeaten. Your desperation for a change baffles me. 

Secondly, its not football manager. You cant suddenly throw up such a difficult formation on the team, even if they trained on it for a week, and expect instant results. Even if the current formation wasnt working, which it is. It would be crazy to do so, on the back of a recent good run of form with a third of the season left, theres no margin for error.

Added to this, your team contains 2 full backs in a 3 man defence, to add to the inevitable wobbles that we'd have whilst adjusting.

And theres no need for that last comment, especially as when Mowbray almost certainly picks a 4-2-3-1, youll say its the correct team picked regardless.

Antonsson has only been out a few weeks, fair enough on Lenihan but the sooner hes back the better. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Raya

Nyambe Mulgrew Williams

Travis       Bennett      Smallwood    Bell

Dack

Graham Armstrong

Subs:- Luetwiler Downing Payne Samuel Conway Nuttall Evans

So you want a repeat of the Doncaster game ?  :wacko:

• Backroom
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Out of interest why do you believe Travis deserves a start (from his brief appearances) yet Payne who caused Walsall problems and got an assist (to go with his assist in the game before) doesn't deserve a start? 

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Oldham's Fine Young Casuals making the journey for a meet with the 'Youth'. It's like 1985 all over again...gotta love it.

Bit of New Order on in the background 'The perfect Kiss' job done.

They came in 93, I've still got the scar to prove it, but never seen them aside from that. 

As for the game itself, Mowbray would have made sweeping changes for Plymouth in hindsight, so I guess it depends how they train this week as to what side he puts out.

Nevertheless, we should beat this lot at home. 

Rovers 3 Oldham 1 

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't want to see Antonsson in a Rovers shirt again. The lad offers very little. 

Aghast face.

I guess you slept through November then? I know he has flattered to deceive at times but he’s had quite a few good games, and influenced a few games - 7 goals in 18 in the league, from out wide- I certainly think he offers the squad a lot more than “very little”

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Raya

Nyambe.    Mulgrew.  Williams.  Bell

Bennett.   Smallwood

Payne.        Dack.       Armstrong

Graham

All day long this is how we should line up, changing to 3/5 at the back is a needless risk when that line up there should be more than capable of beating a poor Oldham side. 

31 minutes ago, Biz said:

Aghast face.

I guess you slept through November then? I know he has flattered to deceive at times but he’s had quite a few good games, and influenced a few games - 7 goals in 18 in the league, from out wide- I certainly think he offers the squad a lot more than “very little”

I agree he has flattered to deceive at times and he's clearly not the most technically gifted and he's certainly not the strongest or the quickest player but the lad has popped up with a goal and to say he should never wear the shirt again is a bit much, he's a goal poacher playing out wide and for the most part I'd say he's done okay and if it was the choice of bringing him or Nuttall on off the bench you'd be bringing Antonsson on all day. 

41 minutes ago, Biz said:

Aghast face.

He can't beat a man, isn't particularly quick, can't play with his back to goal, gets knocked off the ball easily, doesn;'t link up well with the other forwards, can't head the ball and can't tackle. And he takes a hopeless penalty

In short, he shouldn't start any match if other players are available. . 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

He can't beat a man, isn't particularly quick, can't play with his back to goal, gets knocked off the ball easily, doesn;'t link up well with the other forwards, can't head the ball and can't tackle. And he takes a hopeless penalty

In short, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. . 

And yet despite those limations (Jesus I'd forgot about that absolutely awful penalty) which most of them I'd say are true he's still scored seven goals and was our top scorer at one point before Dack and Mulgrew decided to try and out-do each other every week. If we were chasing a goal in a game and one of Nuttall and Antonsson were on the bench, you'd rather bring Antonsson on Jim 100%. Not that being better than Nuttall makes Antonsson a world beater but saying he should be nowhere the team is harsh mate.

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

In short, he shouldn't start any match if other players are available. . 

I think he’s a striker shunted out wide like Butty analysed, to be honest he is more or less spot on but I’d add Conway to the list behind a fully fit Antonsson.

I can see us potentially trying two up top sooner or later because we’ve an absolute smorgasbord of attacking luxury but not many ugly old fashioned defenders. A friend of mine who supports WBA loves TM but always said he will always concentrate on that side of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Out of interest why do you believe Travis deserves a start (from his brief appearances) yet Payne who caused Walsall problems and got an assist (to go with his assist in the game before) doesn't deserve a start? 

Makes no sense at all Tom! In the same way changing to a back 3/5 makes absolutely no sense either.

Archived