BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

36 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

But you could say dismissing the opposition to the media would encourage the opposition? What TM SAYS via the media should have very little impact on how Rovers perform.

True, but many of our fans have a dislike of him building up the opposition. As with many issues, he is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't 

It probably doesn't have an impact, but when we lose, everything is dissected 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We get ahead in a game and then take our foot off the gas. Not sure why that might be but we need to be going and getting a 2nd and 3rd in games with the ability in our attacking ranks and susceptibility to conceding from very little pressure. 

Instead we often take the lead and then sit back, surrender possession to the opposition and inevitably end up presenting them with opportunities to get back into it. Its happened countless times and goes right back to Mowbray's first few games vs Derby and Wigan last season when we got ahead and then sat back defending for dear life for long spells.

If we take the lead and sit back as you say, why are we one of the leading scorers in the country?

Every team that takes the lead should expect pressure from the opposition, doesn't mean we're trying to take 1-0 wins every week?

What I see happening with us is that when we go 2 up, instead of getting a 3rd ,we nearly almost concede the next goal(I would be interested to see stats on this). Then at 2-1 ,we either push on and win or end up drawing. 2-2. 3-2 defeat or a 4-2 win must be our 3 most occurring results in the last 2 years 

Main problem is the clumsy goals we leak but setting out to secure a clean sheet first and foremost then hope to knick something doesn't seem to suit. Going for it and getting a goal or two suits us better then we can handle the inevitable one back.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Mowbray said after the Plymouth defeat that he regretted not making more changes for the game, the players selected looked leggy, which would account for the uncharacteristic poor performance.

So it makes sense to give the players time off Asia, but you wonder why he didn't see it during training in the lead up to Plymouth?

Yes, with all the sports science available on match and training performance it is a suprise that those guys did not pick up on the fatigue (?) issue and it takes plain sight by TM to spot, diagnose and come up with the, hopefully successful, remedy of simple rest.

Anyway I'm going for a Rovers win at 3-1 tomorrow.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, tomphil said:

Main problem is the clumsy goals we leak but setting out to secure a clean sheet first and foremost then hope to knick something doesn't seem to suit. Going for it and getting a goal or two suits us better then we can handle the inevitable one back.

Absolutely right. Fundamentally, we attack better than we defend, so we might as well at least try and do more of the former.

Play to our strengths, put our best foot forward etc etc.

11 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Absolutely right. Fundamentally, we attack better than we defend, so we might as well at least try and do more of the former.

TM says we can't go gung ho and that maybe true but I don't think we ever have really apart from maybe that daft system v Donny. Gung ho to me says everyone pushing forwards all the time with the full backs constantly overlapping. We don't do that so there's no reason to worry about it just press from the front get the attacking players busy and just get it to them a little quicker. We've done that plenty times from the off and battered a few teams, like you say we let one in often whether we go for it or not.

He panics too much when he's had to make a change in the centre of defence by trying to be deeper and cover them, Ward at Oldham, Williams at Plymouth but it completely backfires anyway you don't invite pressure from teams who don't think they'll get a look in it's like a boxer dropping his hands and saying come on then getting slugged. We need to be jabbing and hooking constantly from the off with both the left and the right because we now have the power on both sides.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

If we take the lead and sit back as you say, why are we one of the leading scorers in the country?

Every team that takes the lead should expect pressure from the opposition, doesn't mean we're trying to take 1-0 wins every week?

We don't have a problem scoring goals evidenced by the 54 goals. We have conceded far too many goals in comparison to our main rivals for automatic promotion but the manner of a lot of these has been through sitting deep and inviting pressure. We have actually won some of these games but in the process made life really uncomfortable and unnecessarily tense.

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We don't have a problem scoring goals evidenced by the 54 goals. We have conceded far too many goals in comparison to our main rivals for automatic promotion but the manner of a lot of these has been through sitting deep and inviting pressure. We have actually won some of these games but in the process made life really uncomfortable and unnecessarily tense.

Fair points, but I don't believe we actually go out with the intention of sitting back and inviting pressure, games just pan out that way. 

Also the unmarked back post headers do my head in, how many times have we conceded goals from that position? 

Just now, Gav said:

Fair points, but I don't believe we actually go out with the intention of sitting back and inviting pressure, games just pan out that way. 

Also the unmarked back post headers do my head in, how many times have we conceded goals from that position? 

I've watched every home game this season and the trend is to sit back when in the lead. 

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Without going through every goal we have conceded this season I would imagine a high percentage have been conceded due to sitting back or from set pieces. Had we cut out 50% of these I'm sure we would be sitting pretty at the top of the league.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Without going through every goal we have conceded this season I would imagine a high percentage have been conceded due to sitting back or from set pieces. Had we cut out 50% of these I'm sure we would be sitting pretty at the top of the league.

We'd be top by a country mile.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

True, but many of our fans have a dislike of him building up the opposition. As with many issues, he is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't 

It probably doesn't have an impact, but when we lose, everything is dissected 

No better option than keeping stum, let your boots and your team do the talking!

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

We need to play on the front foot, high tempo, pressing the ball high and dont panic if we dont score in the 1st 20 mins of the game

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

No better option than keeping stum, let your boots and your team do the talking!

Jumpers for goal posts....

Never going to happen in the modern era, fans expect the manager/club to be giving daily news conferences. 

Kenny was the closest we had, he said plenty, but told the press/fans nowt.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need to play on the front foot, high tempo, pressing the ball high and dont panic if we dont score in the 1st 20 mins of the game

We had better play at a higher tempo than last week.  Thought we had invented walking football?

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

All well and good,but how is is possible to do that in this day age? Social media,journalists,TV channels all clamouring to speak with managers. Fans demanding the same. 

Who wouldn't appreciate a manager who said nowt and his team just went out and did the business week in week out?

every poster on here KNOWS we should be attacking and showing our (undoubtedly) pedigree.

We have a good team.

So frustrating that the man in charge doesn't play to our strengths.

Nervous about tomorrow... the away game was where i lost faith in TM.

4 minutes ago, barry_ said:

every poster on here KNOWS we should be attacking and showing our (undoubtedly) pedigree.

We have a good team.

So frustrating that the man in charge doesn't play to our strengths.

Nervous about tomorrow... the away game was where i lost faith in TM.

The intervening 18 games didn’t restore any of it?

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

From what I’ve seen the sitting back thing might be driven more by personnel than plan. I’ve never seen Evans get beyond the forwards, or even remotely close to them, and we have no (fit) wingers with either pace or tricks. Bennett in the middle gets forward more, and Smallwood is now getting a few nosebleeds himself, yet in the last two games we’ve been undone by 90-yard breakaways. Bottom line for me is the back four are completely unreliable, no matter how the opposition get at them.

Mogga has been in the paper today talking tactics. He reckons once Lenihan is back we'll play 15 yards up the pitch 'because of his recovery power, speed and mobility'. So we should, theoretically, sit back less than we have, especially at home.

Didn't realise Oldham were so bad. One win in 10 and no away wins in their last 8. We can't, can we? 

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

From what I’ve seen the sitting back thing might be driven more by personnel than plan. I’ve never seen Evans get beyond the forwards, or even remotely close to them, and we have no (fit) wingers with either pace or tricks. Bennett in the middle gets forward more, and Smallwood is now getting a few nosebleeds himself, yet in the last two games we’ve been undone by 90-yard breakaways. Bottom line for me is the back four are completely unreliable, no matter how the opposition get at them.

In fairness Evans hardly gets beyond the treatment table. I think as a team we tend to drop deeper and it's so frustrating because we are far more effective when we are pressing. Not many teams would not take the initiative when it has been handed to them.

Archived