BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tom said:

Nuttall starts for the under 23s tonight so imagine one of the injured players will be back 

Probably Antonsson on the bench.

Also, talking about days off for players, that shouldn't prevent them from playing to their full potential.

When Big Sam was in charge at Bolton, they had 36 year old Gudni Bergsson in central defence. Because of his age, he didn't do the rigorous training like the rest. But he was regularly MOM.

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Who the hell are Oldham, we're Blackburn Rovers.

COYB!!

When the Premier League was first formed Oldham Athletic were founder members and, if my memory serves me right, they were one of the few clubs to push for it to be a "closed shop"; no relegation; original members to remain there forever.

We now know why.

Let's get our revenge for the earlier defeat at Boundary Park and give them a right good stuffing.

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Who wouldn't appreciate a manager who said nowt and his team just went out and did the business week in week out?

Sounds great,name one manager who does it 

Actually it would be great if managers still spoke to the media like Brian Cough too ,but it just isn't done anymore. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

In fairness Evans hardly gets beyond the treatment table. I think as a team we tend to drop deeper and it's so frustrating because we are far more effective when we are pressing. Not many teams would not take the initiative when it has been handed to them.

I think if we had decent wingers we’d be better equipped to keep teams pinned in their own half. Maybe Payne and Armstrong can do that but I’m not convinced, particularly by the latter.

I think key to our success is having somebody deep that can pick a pass to bring our forward thinking players into play. It's fine with Mulgrew playing behind Bennett and Smallwood but when Charlie is missing, we need the likes of Whittingham to at last step up to the plate and replace Bennett in the CM deep role. Without anyone who can put their foot on the ball, think and then pick a pass, we'll just resort to lumping it forward from deep, bypassing Dack and co and leaving Graham to feed on scraps as we did at Plymouth. We should be better than that.

In advance of our back 4 and 2 central midfielders I'd play Payne, Dack, Armstrong and Graham.

Give that team licence to play, keep it on the deck and we seriously could finish up with a bagful (IMO).

10 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

The intervening 18 games didn’t restore any of it?

sadly, no

too many draws, too many awful displays where the only reason we've won was because the other tesm weren't very good.

Enjoyed the Shrewsbury game though...

Team selection will be interesting today as it looks like Mulgrew will be fit to play. I can't see Downing being left out so it boils down to a straight choice between Bell and Williams for the left back spot. I think he will go with Bell which will be a tad harsh on Williams who was moved from left back to cover a shortage at centre half. The fact that Bell brings much more from an attacking perspective should be enough to pick him.

However Mowbray might just surprise us by playing wing backs which I believe will ultimately revert to.

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Team selection will be interesting today as it looks like Mulgrew will be fit to play. I can't see Downing being left out so it boils down to a straight choice between Bell and Williams for the left back spot. I think he will go with Bell which will be a tad harsh on Williams who was moved from left back to cover a shortage at centre half. The fact that Bell brings much more from an attacking perspective should be enough to pick him.

However Mowbray might just surprise us by playing wing backs which I believe will ultimately revert to.

Mulgrew has been a massive loss so will be glad to see him back. Not just for his ability but for his leadership - Downing looks half the player he is without Mulgrew next to him.

Money on Mulgrew to hit another freekick today.

• Moderation Lead
12 hours ago, LancsFinest said:

We only average a couple of hundred more than Brentford nowadays, FFS. Let’s not laugh at little clubs, eh... Embarrasing.

U ok hun?

We should be winning this about 4-1 sadly we have the Mowbary factor, tinkering, get our players overly concerned about the opposition so we will huff and ouff our way to gifting Oldham a 2-1 win and added to Wigan and Shrews victories I can then enjoy some messageboard meltdown.

12 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Oldham have sold 1900 tickets and it's also pay on the day. That's their biggest following since Roger Palmer retired.

Well.... biggest since last season at any rate, but it won’t end up being THE biggest this season.  We actually have a very decent away following barring a few mindless dick heads. But we all have them don’t we. ??

I’m guessing the sneering is from the under 45’s who don’t know that we were in the same league for about 25 years from 70’s to 90’s, with similar attendances and similarly shitty grounds.  

Lets hope for a good game. 

Just now, biffo said:

Well.... biggest since last season at any rate, but it won’t end up being THE biggest this season.  We actually have a very decent away following barring a few mindless dick heads. But we all have them don’t we. ??

Unfortunately it's those few mindless dickheads that stop me from going to away matches. It's a shame but I can't stand them.

3 minutes ago, biffo said:

I’m guessing the sneering is from the under 45’s who don’t know that we were in the same league for about 25 years from 70’s to 90’s, with similar attendances and similarly shitty grounds.  

I'm too old to fit in the sneerer demographic. I think that goes for quite a few on here. Most of us have witnessed a beasting at Boundary! 

Lets hope our dickheads meet yours and beat each other silly. 

7 minutes ago, biffo said:

To be fair, the fact that you are talking about so many years ago is exactly why there are sneers.

Archived