BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Not quite the unmitigated disaster it appeared at half time but nevertheless far from good enough, we ain't going up unless we can put teams to the sword at home.

Can't for the life of me understand what the manager is playing at we were brilliant against Walsall and the manager keeps tinkering with that line up in the name of being more defensive. Why the hell won't he play Payne and Armstrong in the same line up?

I'm with K Hod on Travis, thought he had a great impact and dragged us back into it with his enthusiasm.

On a brighter note, someone I know was speaking to Chapman today and he's back in 3 weeks. Only problem is TM probably won't start him because that would be too adventurous.

I doubt that the 3 weeks relates to playing in the first team. Effectively has to do a pre-season before he can be put back in. Cannot be pushed with the nature of the injury he has had.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

Travis looks a solid player to me also. Today a draw feels like a win after that abject first half. Results elsewhere are a blessing. Let’s keep the 3 at the back because we’ve obviously got players who suit that role! 

A draw feels like a disappointing draw to me, funny game, pre game I wouldn't take a draw if offered, at half time I'd probably snatch your hand off but as we got back level with so long left it's disappointing not to win.

I think the most positive way to look at it is we probably expected us and Shrews to get 3 points each so it's one point better than that! 

Glad to see a sensible amount of stoppage time on the back of the time wasting.

Just now, alcd said:

I doubt that the 3 weeks relates to playing in the first team. Effectively has to do a pre-season before he can be put back in. Cannot be pushed with the nature of the injury he has had.

Only passing on what I was told. He's in light training already I think.

Just now, tugayislegend said:

We have to count ourselves lucky, wigan and Shrewsbury wont lose every other week. If we have aspirations for automatic promotion we need to win on Tue and need to stop conceding 2 goals a game!

We concede goals for fun. Even Crewe and Barnet scored. Oldham almost snatched it at the end with 10 men. Always look like conceding and have to score 3 to have a chance of the 3 points. Not good enough.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Entitled no - but seriously you guys are happy to be drawing at home after goin 0-2 down to relegation candidates ? Look at our squad and then thiers and look at how we lined up tactically. 

The dumbing down really is working!

Ha, ha, absolute nonsense. The subject was did we drop points or win a point and we won one. I have never said I am happy about the result.

Agreed Rotherham are on a good run. Pretty alarming for Championship survival hopes next season that the three relegated clubs are 1st, 3rd and 6th in this League.

Plymouth having scalped us and Shrewsbury in consecutive games are my dark horses for the play-offs. Now that would be fun facing them at Wembley- not... 

Just now, Preben said:

Ha, ha, absolute nonsense. The subject was did we drop points or win a point and we won one. I have never said I am happy about the result.

Subject? What subject?

This is the match thread and you are trying to claim that this was a good result. 

Ok very good second half... however it really isn't good enough that we set ourselves up at home 'to respect the opposition' in Tonys words!! We have got to worry about ourselves and play an attacking game.. if we do that we will win most.. Tony is too cautious until he absolutely doesn't have to be!! After going 2-2 it was almost inevitable that he wouldn't push on for the win.. 

Payne was excellent in the middle...

What was up with Bell really wasn't impressed with him at all today..

1 minute ago, Tom said:

A draw feels like a disappointing draw to me, funny game, pre game I wouldn't take a draw if offered, at half time I'd probably snatch your hand off but as we got back level with so long left it's disappointing not to win.

I think the most positive way to look at it is we probably expected us and Shrews to get 3 points each so it's one point better than that! 

Glad to see a sensible amount of stoppage time on the back of the time wasting.

I would’ve quaffed at a point before the game but it’s not so often you get much from a game after going 0-2.

Results around us mean it is a let off in a way. I appreciate others would simply expect us, with this team, to beat Oldham but in reality, no game is easy.

The main positive for me today is the reaction. Hopefully, from here on out - we won’t need to turn around such a scoreline.

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

Minority of two. Anyone in the ground will tell you Oldham put in a very good first half. We defended badly for their goals

Rovers fought back in the manner a promotion chasing side should. We gained a point on our rivals.

No one would have predicted the results today. Let’s see what happens Tuesday. I think we can go to second. 

Minority of three. When was the last time we fought back from 0-2 down? The side showed fight and character to earn a point, felt like a win at the end.

First half was bobbins, nobody will dispute that, but it's a point gained especially with Shrews and the pie eaters getting stuffed.

onwards and upwards

Just now, Gav said:

Minority of three. When was the last time we fought back from 0-2 down? The side showed fight and character to earn a point, felt like a win at the end.

First half was bobbins, nobody will dispute that, but it's a point gained especially with Shrews and the pie eaters getting stuffed.

Minority of 4... :-) 

Just now, Preben said:

We draw far too many games, we are no good in the air and can't break defensive teams down. How can we be surprised when we "drop" points?

Mowbray's failing  last season as well - when we attacked in the relegation run-in we invariably played well and won. His teams are the same this season. He's a naturally cautious manager who sets his teams up not to lose - then goes gung-ho when we fall behind. Another hallmark of his teams is that they give away goals easily.  Why can't he learn that we are a better team when we go and out and attack? 

Tony Mowbray- nice guy, shite manager. Doesn’t have the killer instinct, doesn’t know a good tactic or how to set a team up. If we go up it will be despite him not because and I really hope he considers moving upstairs soon. Seems to be half decent at transfers but like bowyer the in the field stuff isn’t cutting the mustard. Not purely going on results, I don’t think we have played consistently well at any point during the season, we haven’t battered anyone, it’s always nervy looking. 

Id sum today’s result up like this - if all the top 3 were playing Oldham at home with ten to go against 10 men

wigan - have put the game to bed early and are cruising to a 2-3 nil win and can see it out comfortably 

shrews- are outplayed but find a way to snatch a late winner and win 2-1

rovers- huff and puff but are all out of ideas and inspiration and trudge to a disappointing draw.

thats how I see the three horse race. Needs to find a winning finesse and wonder tactic soon. Need to be winning these types of game comfortably, nobody can tell me Oldham should be taking points home from Ewood 

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't see how anyone can possibly argue it was anything other than 2 points dropped.

Because other results amazingly went our way. We were the only team in the top 4 to get any points today, which is quite unbelievable.

You will get fans looking at it two way, and you won't convince one lot or the other lot see it any differently.

On it's own, the result is 2 points dropped in most fans eyes.

Alongside other results, we gained a point on 1st, 2nd, and 4th.

I've learned not to expect in football, because the unexpected will happen, but if we're going to play that game, then I would have happily taken today's results beforehand, because we've gained ground, even if only a little.

Back to the game, I thought Armstrong and Travis were great when they came on. In fact, Travis was my MotM. Nyambe did good things and then terrible things. Bennett was the worst player on the pitch. Smallwood has gone off the boil since Christmas. Dack was pretty quiet by his usual standards, but he did well to create the second for Armstrong. Mulgrew was terrible in the first half, and gave the ball away at almost every opportunity, but made up for that with a goal.

I can see this thread splitting opinion right down the middle. Best to move on and take today's small gain for what it is!

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not quite the unmitigated disaster it appeared at half time but nevertheless far from good enough, we ain't going up unless we can put teams to the sword at home.

Can't for the life of me understand what the manager is playing at we were brilliant against Walsall and the manager keeps tinkering with that line up in the name of being more defensive. Why the hell won't he play Payne and Armstrong in the same line up?

I'm with K Hod on Travis, thought he had a great impact and dragged us back into it with his enthusiasm.

On a brighter note, someone I know was speaking to Chapman today and he's back in 3 weeks. Only problem is TM probably won't start him because that would be too adventurous.

Well hopefully Chapmans ready to shoot us out of the playoffs. Might of salvaged a point today but we’re not where it matters. 

Just now, tomphil said:

All games start level and if they stay that way a point is preserved, lose you throw two away, win you gain two more :P

I think @Preben means a point gained on Shrews and Wigan.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Mowbray's failing  last season as well - when we attacked in the relegation run-in we invariably played well and won. His teams are the same this season. He's a naturally cautious manager who sets his teams up not to lose - then goes gung-ho when we fall behind. Another hallmark of his teams is that they give away goals easily.  Why can't he learn that we are a better team when we go and out and attack? 

I’d agree with you if we didn’t continually concede goals on the counter attack 

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

All games start level and if they stay that way a point is preserved, lose you throw two away, win you gain two more :P

Nearly :D It isn't possible to lose points at football unless they are deducted. Anyway I think we are probably all bored with this.

It seems that TM has been trying to stop us conceding goals by tinkering but it has never looked like working. We have the players to win matches and our tactics should be all out attack a la Keegan. If we win more, lose the odd one and stop bloody drawing I think we won't "drop" as many points overall ;)

Archived