BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

7 hours ago, Mark45 said:

In Germany FC Bayern Moanchen need winning by 4 scores or more each match,if only 3 scores national day of crying. 

In Blackburn we are place 3 and still on here national day of crying. I see games live and fans in stadia are not like this?????? Why?????

It’s the difference between forming an opinion based on what one reads or listens to as opposed to what one sees and experiences for oneself. Which is why the fans in the ground had a far better afternoon than those who weren’t at Ewood.

Personally I went from despair at 0-2 to a gut wrenching, nervous, exhilarating 25 minutes in the second half. I was on my feet for the whole of that. Best afternoon at Ewood in a long, long time. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Mulgrew has been a massive loss so will be glad to see him back. Not just for his ability but for his leadership - Downing looks half the player he is without Mulgrew next to him.

Money on Mulgrew to hit another freekick today.

I called it btw

5 hours ago, Doug said:

What a second half that was, we should've won comfortably.

My negatives from the game are our defence, this must be the worst back four in living memory!

The positives are the way we played after the break, it was great to watch.

I can't be bothered reading the thread as I know it will be doom and gloom, but I haven't enjoyed a half like that for some time.

TM deserves some credit for the changes at half time, and I think Travis deserves a start after that performance.

I do hope Bell has more to offer after today, and Nyambe seems to be going backwards at the moment,

I thought Oldham fans were excellent today, the 'blue and tangerine' to yellow submarine was great.

Let's keep a grip, 1 defeat in 19 or 20 is pretty good going in my book.

COYB

Deserves credit for changes at half-time yes but also deserves criticism for how he set us up from the off and that first half performance.

So angered at that first 45 minutes. Bet Wigan and Shrews are laughing that they lose and we dont take advantage with the easiest fixture of the three.

7 hours ago, Mark45 said:

In Germany FC Bayern Moanchen need winning by 4 scores or more each match,if only 3 scores national day of crying. 

In Blackburn we are place 3 and still on here national day of crying. I see games live and fans in stadia are not like this?????? Why?????

Bah Hamburg

• Backroom
51 minutes ago, Paul said:

It’s the difference between forming an opinion based on what one reads or listens to as opposed to what one sees and experiences for oneself. Which is why the fans in the ground had a far better afternoon than those who weren’t at Ewood.

Personally I went from despair at 0-2 to a gut wrenching, nervous, exhilarating 25 minutes in the second half. I was on my feet for the whole of that. Best afternoon at Ewood in a long, long time. 

Funny how we all see things differently, a few moments of excitement but it was a very frustrating afternoon for me. All the chatter I heard on the way out of the ground and up Livesey Branch road was that of a missed opportunity.

Imagine it would have been very exciting for a neutral as there was a feeling that they could snatch it even with 10 men as we were looking for the win.

Shrewsbury at home was a much much better afternoon.

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

Funny how we all see things differently, a few moments of excitement but it was a very frustrating afternoon for me. All the chatter I heard on the way out of the ground and up Livesey Branch road was that of a missed opportunity.

Imagine it would have been very exciting for a neutral as there was a feeling that they could snatch it even with 10 men as we were looking for the win.

Absolutely Tom. I know it was a missed opportunity but I’m also aware we fought back well, gained a point on our rivals and had an exciting afternoon.

I wish we had won to go second but prefer to look at the positives. I long ago gave up letting Venkys ruin my life and decided to live for the moment. It is, after all, the most any fan can do. The alternative is to be miserable most weekends

Mowbray's thoughts on the game. This stood out:-

"First half was not good enough, not enough intensity, urgency, desire, second half that turned. The frustration for me is that you can see such a swing, why should that happen?"

Unbelievable comments. He must be taking the piss? Maybe it's because you went more attacking Tony, put another striker on instead of having a full-back on the wing , and didn't try to counter-attack AT HOME.

Apologies if this is whinging.

We really struggle against teams bigger and more physical than us. As soon as I saw the size of their centre halves and strikers I knew we were going to struggle! Just as we did at Plymouth last week. Just as we did against Northampton with that big unit O’Toole causing havoc. Mowbray should have addressed this in the transfer window.

When we played Walsall (a physically smaller team) we came out all guns blazing and won comfortably. I think we have too many players who don’t like the physical fight of League 1 and I hope it isn’t our undoing.

Bennett has taken some stick in the previous posts and to a small extent rightly so for his mistake that led to the goal and poor crossing. However the lad never stops, he earned the sending off, he gets stuck in, he fights, he isn’t frightened of the physicality of this league and he is an asset to our team in my opinion.

Which leads to me to Amari Bell’s performance. He should have been hauled off at half time as he just didn’t seem interested! I played full back, I liked to attack, and because of this I used to get moved to the wing. I didn’t enjoy playing wing, i wasn’t quick enough from a standing start for the wing, I was less effective getting forward from wing and I sympathise with Bell in that regard. However there is no excuse for Bell not putting a shift in. He just looked like a lost boy and was too lethargic. He just didn’t compete and may as well not have been on the pitch. Clearly the lad has talent and he is a good full back; but it is a team game and his performance was poor regardless of being out of position.

Nyambe also needs to practice defending against long and high balls. He just doesn’t seem to be able to read it and finds himself yards out of position. See Walsall goal. See Oldham’s first. See 96th minute yesterday when Oldham nearly scored after he misjudged a kick from the keeper by about 10 yards! 

Despite the criticism I am also in the one point gained camp. I don’t believe Mowbray for one second when he says he doesn’t care about Shrewsbury and Wigan results. However I am really sceptical about Tuesday and I will be travelling down with concern.

Our players looked rattled by 2000 plus Oldham making an atmosphere on Ewood with their bemusing  ‘wild rover’ chant and ‘taking over your town again’ (we last played them on Ewood 17 years ago in a league cup 2nd round tie!). I’ve never been to Fratton Park before but I’m expecting a partisan atmosphere. Will our players cope?! 

Nb - I have previously been critical of the refs in this league but the one yesterday had a good game! 

4 minutes ago, david brent said:

We really struggle against teams bigger and more physical than us. As soon as I saw the size of their centre halves and strikers I knew we were going to struggle! Just as we did at Plymouth last week. Just as we did against Northampton with that big unit O’Toole causing havoc. Mowbray should have addressed this in the transfer window.

When we played Walsall (a physically smaller team) we came out all guns blazing and won comfortably. I think we have too many players who don’t like the physical fight of League 1 and I hope it isn’t our undoing.

Bennett has taken some stick in the previous posts and to a small extent rightly so for his mistake that led to the goal and poor crossing. However the lad never stops, he earned the sending off, he gets stuck in, he fights, he isn’t frightened of the physicality of this league and he is an asset to our team in my opinion.

Which leads to me to Amari Bell’s performance. He should have been hauled off at half time as he just didn’t seem interested! I played full back, I liked to attack, and because of this I used to get moved to the wing. I didn’t enjoy playing wing, i wasn’t quick enough from a standing start for the wing, I was less effective getting forward from wing and I sympathise with Bell in that regard. However there is no excuse for Bell not putting a shift in. He just looked like a lost boy and was too lethargic. He just didn’t compete and may as well not have been on the pitch. Clearly the lad has talent and he is a good full back; but it is a team game and his performance was poor regardless of being out of position.

Nyambe also needs to practice defending against long and high balls. He just doesn’t seem to be able to read it and finds himself yards out of position. See Walsall goal. See Oldham’s first. See 96th minute yesterday when Oldham nearly scored after he misjudged a kick from the keeper by about 10 yards! 

Despite the criticism I am also in the one point gained camp. I don’t believe Mowbray for one second when he says he doesn’t care about Shrewsbury and Wigan results. However I am really sceptical about Tuesday and I will be travelling down with concern.

Our players looked rattled by 2000 plus Oldham making an atmosphere on Ewood with their bemusing  ‘wild rover’ chant and ‘taking over your town again’ (we last played them on Ewood 17 years ago in a league cup 2nd round tie!). I’ve never been to Fratton Park before but I’m expecting a partisan atmosphere. Will our players cope?! 

Nb - I have previously been critical of the refs in this league but the one yesterday had a good game! 

Enjoy  Fratton Park ,   it is a very Partisan atmosphere unfortunately it is half term or I would have gone myself   !!!!

Not sure about the Oldham fans rattling us , more Mowbrays obscure formation and line up ...

4 minutes ago, david brent said:

Spot on mate. I said before the match it's a lot different playing as an attacking left back than playing as a winger, for the very reasons you stated. Bell also looks on occasion  like he's mentally slow and his lethargic style only adds to that. He certainly needs working on because he has obvious potential but playing him on the wing will destroy his confidence imo because he simply isn't a winger.

33 minutes ago, Paul said:

Absolutely Tom. I know it was a missed opportunity but I’m also aware we fought back well, gained a point on our rivals and had an exciting afternoon.

I wish we had won to go second but prefer to look at the positives. I long ago gave up letting Venkys ruin my life and decided to live for the moment. It is, after all, the most any fan can do. The alternative is to be miserable most weekends

What have Venky's got to do with Mowbray picking the wrong team again?

All this talk of formations and 3 at the back is nonsense. Look at yesterday. The first goal the guy ran through (and over) Nyambe and Smallwood. Second one Mulgrew just backed off. That chance for them at the end was just defenders backing off. We got muscled out of it in defence all game. It's not the system , it's the lack of presence in our defence. It's down to the ability of the players.

I don't think Raya did too much wrong yesterday but we know he's goIng  to struggle against physical teams. Williams was the better of a back 4 who, as mentioned above, were shocking for both goals. Bell looked like what he was, a full back playing too far up the pitch. He might be good knocking it down the line and running after it but his touch isn't great when you try and use him to play through the middle. He either starts at full back or not at all for me.

The new signings have caused a bit of a problem with Dack who now gets the ball 20 yards deeper than a few months ago. The one time he got on the ball in the box we scored but we seem to find him going to the halfway line to collect it once Armstrong and Payne were both on.

Every time I've seen Armstrong and Payne, it is the former who has impressed me more. The only dilemma is where to play him. He can either play in place of Graham or alongside him. Unfortunately neither of them can get in the end of those weak dinky crosses we put into the box a lot in the first half.

Travis played well when he come on, and for some reason we always keep a better shape when Bennett is out wide. I'm not sure where Whittingham is but, in the absence of wingers, I'd put him back in and move Bennett out wide.

Some of you need to get a grip.

We are 1 point behind second place (albeit they have a game in hand).  There is no need for this hysteria at this stage.  

While the last couple of games we have not been brilliant we were at one point 12 points off of the top 2 and have slowly brought that gap down, there was always going to be another period where performances dipped a little.

There are 15 games left and we are very much in the shake up to go up this season.  

Very disingenuous. There's no hysteria. Just people questioning  and debating decisions and the performances. This new trend for labelling anyone who doesn't praise everything the manager and team do as hysterical is really starting to grate. I thought message boards were for opinions, and all were welcome? If anyone not conforming to the party line is going to get labelled as hysterical every time they voice an opposing opinion, then that debate and opinion will disappear and this place will be a much poorer place.

What hysteria Kamy?  As BiggusMickus says, people are just questioning the team and debating where players should play. It's pretty representative of the conversations in the pub after the game.

If people were shouting that Mowbray should be sacked this morning, and that  XYZ should never wear blue and white again, I'd agree with you. But nobody is.

23 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

We are 1 point behind second place (albeit they have a game in hand).  There is no need for this hysteria at this stage.  

While the last couple of games we have not been brilliant we were at one point 12 points off of the top 2 and have slowly brought that gap down, there was always going to be another period where performances dipped a little.

There are 15 games left and we are very much in the shake up to go up this season.  

A very measured and sensible post Kamy.  I couldn't agree more.  We can all point out to areas in which we feel the team could be improved as I have said in another thread, but in general the club seems in better shape than it has been for some time.  Mowbray is not without his faults - no manager ever is - but he's undertaken a mammoth task in trying to rebuild the fortunes of this club and it's not only at senior level that things are improving - the Under-23's top the table and the youth team - while struggling in the League because so many eligible players have now moved up to the Under-23's - are only one game away from the F.A. Youth Cup semi-final.  With 15 games still left to play it's wide open as to who gets the automatic places and our lead over the seventh placed club is such we ought to be in the play-offs at the very least. 

Just now, philipl said:

Leave it alone Chaddy.

We fall apart playing anything other than 4-4-2

Agree with that Philip.  Mulgrew doesn't have the pace to be in a back three, particularly if he was central and the thought of Downing - given his present form - in a back three is terrifying.  It also needs a huge amount of work in training to get it right - we're talking weeks not days - and at this point of the season it would be a huge gamble to switch systems.  We have been playing a 4-2-3-1 system for most of the season and for me it's a case of selecting the best players for that system and stick with them instead of trying to shoehorn players into the team in positions for which they seem ill-suited.  

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Mowbray himself said along the lines of it was like two more points missed out on I think that perfectly justifies some of the comments on here sharing his frustration AND questioning some of his methods as he even does that himself.

43 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

That's a shocker pal. Maybe you need to stop getting hysterical about the hysteria you have imagined.

I have been reading this thread since yesterday and last few pages there is some hysteria.

People are free to post whatever they want and constructive criticism off Mowbray/the team i don’t call hysteria but some off what I have read on here is hysterical. It isn’t just limited to this forum there has been some ridiculous talk on twitter as well.

The issues with the ownership (we will always be 2 weeks from a full on crisis with Venky’s) will always remain, but for the moment the footballing side off the club has ceased to be a circus. The manager is starting to turn things round, the youth structures at the club who are key to our future survival are now starting to work well again. That is reason for optimism. If we do not go up at the end of the season then questions will rightly be asked but at the moment we are very much in the chase.

Archived