BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Everything and nothing. 

In my view he didn’t pick the wrong team. The problem in the first half was we can’t handle in your face opposition and I don’t think we have a side that can. Second half the changes, which looked dodgy for ten minutes worked, and Oldham began to fade as few teams can keep up their first half performance for 90 minutes. 

The point re Venkys is to enjoy the moment. I really enjoyed the game and I’m not going to let rubbish owners, off field issues, boycotts, NAPM, etc **. spoil it. We have some moments to enjoy and I’ll grab those as I always have done. 

** to emphasise I don’t care what views people have, what they want to do etc. I’m not criticising simply I’m not letting anything get in the way of enjoying this season. 

All very reasonable and I agree with you about not letting off-the-field stuff affect the football. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the game was a summary of our season in 90 minutes: 

We start badly with players out of position. 

We play fantastically and get back in the driving seat. 

We don't capitalize on our hard work and end up disappointed. 

I really do worry that it's always the same problems. Out muscled - I said we needed another fighter or two and that's been a repeat of so many matches, not enough fight. Players out of position, Bell, and by the sounds of it Dack playing deeper. I'm not sure TM is learning at all and gets away with it through the quality of the squad. 

I'm still pretty optimistic - promotion through playoffs, as we're comfortable and better against the footballing teams. But all it takes in there is for one team to recognize we're appalling at a physical fight and we're out of it and looking at another year in this division, with the lottery of Venky actions and another year of lower finance.

Given the budget and the quality of the team we're having far too many off days. I just hope we have enough quality to get through TM's blind spots. 

The more I dwell on yesterday's first half performance plus the fact TM comes out with "on match days they have to turn up" the more I think he's lacking in motivation skills. Plus it wasn't just yesterday's first half. Match motivation is a massive quality and although he knows the players inside out and I have no doubt he lives, sleeps and breathes Blackburn Rovers, he needs help from within the club that we don't seem to have.

Gutted at seeing an opportunity lost. :(  

4 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Some of you need to get a grip.

We are 1 point behind second place (albeit they have a game in hand).  There is no need for this hysteria at this stage.  

While the last couple of games we have not been brilliant we were at one point 12 points off of the top 2 and have slowly brought that gap down, there was always going to be another period where performances dipped a little.

There are 15 games left and we are very much in the shake up to go up this season.  

Some fans do need to grip at times. Seen some fans calling for Mowbray to sack in the past week on social media. Some fans wanted a change on here after 11 games. 

4 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

Very disingenuous. There's no hysteria. Just people questioning  and debating decisions and the performances. This new trend for labelling anyone who doesn't praise everything the manager and team do as hysterical is really starting to grate. I thought message boards were for opinions, and all were welcome? If anyone not conforming to the party line is going to get labelled as hysterical every time they voice an opposing opinion, then that debate and opinion will disappear and this place will be a much poorer place.

Some hysterical by some fans on social media. Talking a friend who went plymouth away he was a coach back and some fans were calling for Mowbray to be sack.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Leave it alone Chaddy.

We fall apart playing anything other than 4-4-2

We played 4-2-3-1 most of the season not 4-4-2

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I have been reading this thread since yesterday and last few pages there is some hysteria.

People are free to post whatever they want and constructive criticism off Mowbray/the team i don’t call hysteria but some off what I have read on here is hysterical. It isn’t just limited to this forum there has been some ridiculous talk on twitter as well.

The issues with the ownership (we will always be 2 weeks from a full on crisis with Venky’s) will always remain, but for the moment the footballing side off the club has ceased to be a circus. The manager is starting to turn things round, the youth structures at the club who are key to our future survival are now starting to work well again. That is reason for optimism. If we do not go up at the end of the season then questions will rightly be asked but at the moment we are very much in the chase.

Agreed Kamy. 

I guess some fans panic and worry more than others. 

I backed Mowbray after 11 games when some wanted a change but I remain calm and sensible

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Why get a grip Kamy? If you aren't frustrated by our recent results and to a lesser degree performances then you must be super human. This frustration is because we keep missing chances to get into an automatic promotion place and consolidate it. Most of the posts I have read are constructive and actually mirror some of Mowbrays recent comments and his frustrations.

Recent results? 1 loss and 1 draw. 

Before that we had 40 points from 18 games. 

Im frustrations by us missing chances but the Players have to take some blame and Mowbray for some team selections but compare to some recent managers I rather have Mowbray every day. 

2 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

There are concerns and I share them in terms of how we struggle against some teams.  There has been some meaasured debate in here.  The hysteria I was referring to was stuff like "15 games to save our club Tony".

That poster has been the same ever since Mowbray was appointed. 

Looks from his posts he want us to fail cos it would suit his agenda. Hope im wrong tbh. 

29 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Could play in the hole between mids and striker to be fair, false 9

False 9? 

So basically the number 10 role. 

38 minutes ago, Paul said:

Everything and nothing. 

In my view he didn’t pick the wrong team. The problem in the first half was we can’t handle in your face opposition and I don’t think we have a side that can. Second half the changes, which looked dodgy for ten minutes worked, and Oldham began to fade as few teams can keep up their first half performance for 90 minutes. 

The point re Venkys is to enjoy the moment. I really enjoyed the game and I’m not going to let rubbish owners, off field issues, boycotts, NAPM, etc **. spoil it. We have some moments to enjoy and I’ll grab those as I always have done. 

** to emphasise I don’t care what views people have, what they want to do etc. I’m not criticising simply I’m not letting anything get in the way of enjoying this season. 

Took me 7yrs to reach a point where I can enjoy my football again, years of anger, frustration and ruined weekends.

Im now very much in the same place as you, and might I add it's a much better place to be.

15 games to go and a Championship to be won, its all to play for.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I suspect this won’t be a popular opinion but I actually think Williams has looked better at centre half than at left back, where he has been steady, if not spectacular. Bell has looked good at full back for his pace in getting forward if nothing else though he was poor yesterday I felt. I also agree with the sentiments re Downing, he’s gone off the boil in a big way. I thought it was just without Mulgrew alongside him, but it continued yesterday as well.

I feel like I keep saying this, but opposition managers have gotten wise to our use of Dack and he’s being largely marked out of games as teams physically do a number on him. Which brings me to being in total agreement with other observations that we do get out fought by the more physical teams in the league. 

All is not lost, there’s a long way to go, but there is definitely room for improvement. The good thing is we’ve got difference makers due back from injury who could be just that by the end of the season...

You're spot on there, by which I mean it's not a popular opinion ??

21 hours ago, Husky said:

We don't score many headers do we.

No crosses are useless and have been most of the season. Our strikers need it to feet and it's time Mowbray realised that fact. The big centre backs in this league head away nearly all the crosses.

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some fans do need to grip at times. Seen some fans calling for Mowbray to sack in the past week on social media. Some fans wanted a change on here after 11 games. 

Some hysterical by some fans on social media. Talking a friend who went plymouth away he was a coach back and some fans were calling for Mowbray to be sack.

Agreed Kamy. 

I backed Mowbray after 11 games when some wanted a change but I remain calm and sensible

Im frustrations by us missing chances but the Players have to take some blame and Mowbray for some team selections but compare to some recent managers I rather have Mowbray every day. 

Looks from his posts he want us to fail cos it would suit his agenda. Hope im wrong tbh. 

False 9? 

Yet more of this rubbish, there may be a small minority that dont have faith in the manager which youll get anywhere, but the vast, vast majority of people are just putting forward constructive criticism, yet are met with the same crap by people who seem to think that being behind the manager means agreeing with every single decision he does. Its a messageboard of opinions, and people are saying things in the last couple of weeks such as:

- The managers team selections can be too inconsistent

- The managers tactics vary too much at times

- We seem to start slowly out of the blocks at times, and face an uphill battle

- We play players out of position too often (see Bell yesterday)

- We concede too many from set pieces, something which the manager can work on

- We havent kept a clean sheet since boxing day, we are conceding too many at the moment

- Certain individuals (Bennett, Downing) are underperforming

All of which are subject to opinion, and have coincided with a small dip in form, both in performance and results.

No one is expecting us to win every game, people were giving Mowbray loads of praise when we was winning back to back games, obviously people will praise the manager more during good form than bad form. The manager has done good things as well which fans equally pointed out when we win games regularly, look good going forward at times, some good signings ie Dack and Smallwood, good team spirit etc

People seem to have lost the whole purpose of a messageboard, I don't remember many if any people saying Mowbray out, the vast majority are just suggesting reasons as to why they believe we have dipped, 

Mowbrays not beyond criticism, obviously the acid test is promotion, if he gets it hes been successful, if he doesnt hes not been, I am hopeful it will be the latter but we can only judge on where we are at the moment, amidst a slight blip, 1 point from 2nd with a game played more than Shrewsbury. No one is saying its the end of the world. The hysteria now ironically comes from those who feel they are most supportive of the manager. Any suggestions of potential change in terms of tactics or whatever are met with "the fans are embarassing etc etc."

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agreed Kamy. 

False 9? 

Why do you assume I meant the last two games? By recent I was referring to the games this year. Played 7,  won 3, drawn 3 and lost 1. That's 12 points from 21. That's frustrating.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yet more of this rubbish.

People seem to have lost the whole purpose of a messageboard, I don't remember many if any people saying Mowbray out, the vast majority are just suggesting reasons as to why they believe we have dipped, 

This message board has always been the best out there because it welcomes all opinions, so calling Chaddys rubbish and posting what then go on to say is a massive contradiction in terms.

As for nobody calling for Mowbray out, maybe you missed the 150+ votes in the stick or twist thread? (Now halved by the way) so that's simply not true 99.

Where I do agree is that Mowbray isn't beyond critisizm though, that first half yesterday and his inability to spot and drop tired players at Plymouth wasn't his best moments of the season.

But one thing that shouldn't be forgotten and often is, we're all Blackburn Rovers supporters and I would hope we all want to do well.

Just now, Gav said:

This message board has always been the best out there because it welcomes all opinions, so calling Chaddys rubbish and posting what then go on to say is a massive contradiction in terms.

As for nobody calling for Mowbray out, maybe you missed the 150+ votes in the stick or twist thread? (Now halved by the way) so that's simply not true 99.

Where I do agree is that Mowbray isn't beyond critisizm though, that first half yesterday and his inability to spot and drop tired players at Plymouth wasn't his best moments of the season.

But one thing that shouldn't be forgotten and often is, we're all Blackburn Rovers supporters and I would hope we all want to do well.

To clarify, I wasnt calling chaddys comments in isolation rubbish, I just found it indicative of something ive seen alot recently; people saying things like people are being dramatic, entitled, wanting the manager out, yet not providing the evidence to back it up.

Theres nothing wrong with being critical when we turn in a first half performance like yesterday, much of which down to incorrect tactics, as youve agree with to be fair.

That thread was from very early in the season wasnt it? When we was toiling outside the play offs, and looking very disjointed, before the consistency came? I would happily concede if I saw proof that in recent weeks, people have said Mowbray should go, the end is nigh, and would disagree with them views, but the vast majority are understandably picking up on why weve suffered a recent minor dip in performance.

Agree on the last point and I'm sure we all do and think it is unfair to presume anyone doesnt.

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Of course we do. Some folk get more carried away than others after a dodgy result, but it is largely borne out of the real pressing need for promotion.

So it really annoys me when certain local ‘commentators’ come out with stuff like ‘gouls on social media can’t wait for us to get beat’, ‘no other clubs have fans that revel in defeat’.

It is total rubbish.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Took me 7yrs to reach a point where I can enjoy my football again, years of anger, frustration and ruined weekends.

Im now very much in the same place as you, and might I add it's a much better place to be.

15 games to go and a Championship to be won, its all to play for.

I think it took me 3-4 years, not sure really, but it makes a huge difference in so many ways. 

One thing I keep in mind is we’ve had 25, perhaps, 30 years in the sun. How many football fans have seen what we have seen? We’re in a tiny, fortunate minority. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Sorry Gav, it's all well and good to stick up for the supposed picked on kid in the playground but I don't see you weighing in for fair play when the same poster is calling others 'pathetic' and 'clueless'. In fact I'm pretty sure it's usually one and the same poster who casts the first stone, so to speak.

23 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I'm just saying it could have been worse. :) We should never expect the status quo in football, but if we're going to do that... Then I would have expected us, Shrews and Wigan to win today, leaving us all on an even keel. As it happens, we unbelievably gained, which makes things better than losing ground, or not gaining any at all.

Way too sensible a post for me.  Very good way of looking at it.

I think our problem is Mowbray is a real worrier, a pessimist. This is reflected in his tactics and team selection. With his best mate Venus and the overpromoted Lowe as his coaching team, he doesn't seem to have anyone to give him a kick and be brave. We undoubtedly have the players and squad togetherness to get out of this league, much to Mowbray's credit, but his worrying and Mr Nice Guy approach could be what costs us. 

23 hours ago, philipl said:

Agreed Rotherham are on a good run. Pretty alarming for Championship survival hopes next season that the three relegated clubs are 1st, 3rd and 6th in this League.

Plymouth having scalped us and Shrewsbury in consecutive games are my dark horses for the play-offs. Now that would be fun facing them at Wembley- not... 

As long as we don't meet them earlier, they look a giod outfit right now and I will be keeping one eye on their progress.  There always seems to be one team makes a late run at it.  Rotherham and Argyle may be two teams to be concerned about.

5 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Way too sensible a post for me.  Very good way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it is that we failed to beat Oldham Athletic at home.

Being grateful that our rivals didn’t take advantage doesn’t really make up for it. Especially when the reason for that failure is more meddling from the manager. He should have chosen between Bell and Williams yesterday and bottled it because he thought neither deserved dropping. Successful managers are ruthless not benevolent. As it was the lad he should have started instead of playing Bell in a position he is ineffective in eventually spared our blushes and embarrassed Mowbray.

For what it’s worth I’d have dropped Williams as he can provide cover is a couple of positions. As it was it created an imbalance in the midfield and turned Downing into a scapegoat.

We have to start taking advantage of Wigan, and more realistically Shrewsbury, slipping up and take these opportunities. If not at home to a struggling Oldham then when?

An opportunity missed more than a point gained.

23 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Why no Samuel for last ten mins? Bennett was knackered - dead on his feet - Oldham down to ten men.   We need the win but he doesn't roll the dice.  After the first half,  a draw is acceptable but we were down because of the line up/tactics. 

Perhaps cos Samuel has been god awful.  Did nothing in a similar situation against Plymouth.

5 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Perhaps cos Samuel has been god awful.  Did nothing in a similar situation against Plymouth.

I'm assuming you're referring to the home match earlier in the season. You can't surely be referring to the away match last weekend, when he was the only player who made things happen for us in the second half.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course we do. Some folk get more carried away than others after a dodgy result, but it is largely borne out of the real pressing need for promotion.

So it really annoys me when certain local ‘commentators’ come out with stuff like ‘gouls on social media can’t wait for us to get beat’, ‘no other clubs have fans that revel in defeat’.

It is total rubbish.

I don't have twitter, Facebook or any other forum aside from this, so I think I miss much of the collateral damage that takes places and the grudges that build outside of Brfccville.

54 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Sorry Gav, it's all well and good to stick up for the supposed picked on kid in the playground but I don't see you weighing in for fair play when the same poster is calling others 'pathetic' and 'clueless'. In fact I'm pretty sure it's usually one and the same poster who casts the first stone, so to speak.

I think you've missed the point LD, but we digress anyway. 

5 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

was 12 points with 2 games in hand = 6

now 1 point with minus 1 in hand = 4

4 months to bridge that gap Kamy

too slowly !

15 remain and the peloton are catching us

Don't be so hysterical. Toe the party line you ungrateful Neanderthal :lol:

I know there was some obvious defensive mistakes in both the goals we conceded. But I'm going to give Oldham some credit for the way they set-up, played two upfront and pressed us all over the pitch, not many teams have come to Ewood and tried to take the game to us like that and thought their front two were an handful all game and our defense struggled to cope. In fact for that first half they out battled us all over the pitch and deserved their lead. It wasn't until the change of system in the second half and a brilliant free-kick from Mulgrew that finally kicked us into life. For me the wide positions are still a bit of an issue for us, Bell looks much more comfortable running from deep as a fullback/wing-back and not playing as winger. Payne is a lot more effective in the centre than he is on the wing, Conway and Samuel both look out of form, Antonsson and Chapman still injured, Armstrong again looks better upfront than out wide. Fair play to Mowbray for changing it up at half-time and getting us back in the game, thought Travis was especially pivotal in that second half turn around and might be pushing for a start soon if he can keep up that level of performance.

Archived