BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

TM has done a good job and is a good guy, but he isnt free from citiscm when he makes mistakes and sat he made mistakes

TM states that the players have to turn up on match days. Thats advice he could well listen to himself.

He has collectedd a talented bunch of players now with good cover in every area. The downside to that is he has tough decisions he has to make now and he has to upset people and make them.

He had a big choice to make at left back for one on sat and isntead of making it he bottled it and played both.

Leaving armstrong out was just plain stupid

Payne, really godd little player, but has to play centrally or be on the bench.

Another pet hate I have with managers is that they have to leave thbings a certain length of time before making changes. A game is only 90 mins long. You cant waste big chunks of it hoping things change.

When its clear things arent working be brave and change it early, dont just let time drift by in the hope something somehow changes.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Five arrests in a near 14,000 crowd and its headline news in the LET.

Was there some handbags before and after?

Aye a good bit of handbags just before Kick off with all stone island hard boys. Its comical watching these plantpots behave

I find the latest comments in the LT by Mowbray regarding Saturdays game very frustrating. Basically he started Bell and Williams which was part of a horrendous performance because he was scared of Oldhams right back.....

Why on earth is he worrying about the right back from Oldham when were at home. We should be going out to dominate every team in this league and let them worry about our attack. Some of the team sheets recently would leave opposition managers laughing pre match. 

He seems more concerned with the opposition strengths than our own. In a higher league id understand but this just concerns me at the moment. 

Just now, benhben said:

I find the latest comments in the LT by Mowbray regarding Saturdays game very frustrating. Basically he started Bell and Williams which was part of a horrendous performance because he was scared of Oldhams right back.....

Why on earth is he worrying about the right back from Oldham when were at home. We should be going out to dominate every team in this league and let them worry about our attack. Some of the team sheets recently would leave opposition managers laughing pre match. 

He seems more concerned with the opposition strengths than our own. 

Exactly. Play armstrong there and then see how often their right back risks getting forward when he has to worry about armstrongs pace in behind.

Bell looked like he had overdosed on beta blockers, he was so lethargic and off the pace. Even in the 2nd half when the whole ground was fired up and the  players were at it, he still looked lethargic and lost.

I certainly wont judge him on one bad game, but he has to do a lot lot better than he did on sat

1 minute ago, benhben said:

He seems more concerned with the opposition strengths than our own. In a higher league id understand but this just concerns me at the moment. 

For goodness sake, no team in this league has a player who can really hurt us.

We should be simply going out onto the offensive and make them worry about what we can do.

22 minutes ago, benhben said:

This is my concern about TM nearly saved us last season too many draws. Nearly got us in the top two now too many home draws. Time will tell if this is another nearly season

25 minutes ago, philipl said:

For goodness sake, no team in this league has a player who can really hurt us.

We should be simply going out onto the offensive and make them worry about what we can do.

You get the feeling if the likes of Corry Evans or Paul Caddis were playing for the opposition then Tone would even gear up our team to stopping them! As you say, he really needs to concentrate on our strengths.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If 0 goals and 3 assists is good enough in more than half a season for a promotion chasing attacking midfilder then weve got different standards.

he not a attacking midfielder. 

he's wide midfielder or centre midfielder. 

we have enough goalscorer in this team and I will just POINT OUT that Antonsson is our top assist with 4 of them,

3 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

This is my concern about TM nearly saved us last season too many draws. Nearly got us in the top two now too many home draws. Time will tell if this is another nearly season

To be honest Mowbray's entire career has been a story of near misses. He nearly got WBA up in his first season but lost in the play offs, he nearly kept WBA up but they still went down, he nearly got Boro into the play-offs a couple of times but didn't, he nearly got Coventry up but didn't, he nearly kept us up last season but didn't. Lets hope this season he changes that.

Nice bloke, talks sense, undoubtedly got a good eye for a player, but question marks over his results and game management.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

To be honest Mowbray's entire career has been a story of near misses. He nearly got WBA up in his first season but lost in the play offs, he nearly kept WBA up but they still went down, he nearly got Boro into the play-offs a couple of times but didn't, he nearly got Coventry up but didn't, he nearly kept us up last season but didn't. Lets hope this season he changes that.

Nice bloke, talks sense, undoubtedly got a good eye for a player, but question marks over his results and game management.

To be fair, he did get WBA up as Champions. But it’s about as much of a career highlight as Coyle getting Bumley promoted. The difference is that, unlike Coyle, he is credible as a manager and he isn’t a tosspot. He is also happy to be accountable for results.

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You conveniently, yet glaringly leave winning the Championship out of your narrative. 

Lots of positive comments about Mowbray from Boro, WBA and some Coventry fans but usually about the guy himself there are equally as many if not more scratching their heads at his tinkering etc.

A manager who always seems caught in two minds from one game to the next winof lose one fella said and i think that sums him up. 

Still rather him than most under Venkys but i think it's a case of hoping the law of averages works again for him in terms of success here rather than anything else because he seems to employ the same methods regardless of where he's managing.

Both us and him are due a turn of good fortune though so everyone cross your fingers.

1 hour ago, benhben said:

Couldn't agree more.This is TM Achilles heel , all the worrying about this player and that is all well and good, but not against a team like Oldham or most of the teams in this league.

Go out, boss the game and let other teams worrying about us.

2 hours ago, benhben said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15987968.Tony_Mowbray_on_why_he_went_with_Derrick_Williams_and_Amari_i_Bell_in_Rovers__draw_with_Oldham/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

HAHAHA, I didn't realise Cafu in his prime was playing for Oldham. . Does anyone know his name, he must be incredibly good.

FFS!!!

Doubling up at home on your left side with two defenders to stop the modest oppositions right back when your second in the league ???   Really ?

If that's what was said I hope it was just an arse covering excuse for him giving mins to the new player.

Very poor move if not.

Just now, tomphil said:

Doubling up at home on your left side with two defenders to stop the modest oppositions right back when your second in the league ???   Really ?

If that's what was said I hope it was just an arse covering excuse for him giving mins to the new player.

Very poor move if not.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15987968.Tony_Mowbray_on_why_he_went_with_Derrick_Williams_and_Amari_i_Bell_in_Rovers__draw_with_Oldham/

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

“I think their right back, having watched their games, spends most of his time in the opposition half, plays like a right winger, so I think we needed to be solid out there rather than sticking an Armstrong out wide left and then he spends all game chasing back with the full-back.

This sums up the problem with Mowbray for me. He's more worried about defending from Oldham's full back than he is pushing Oldham back so that they can't get into our half in the first place. It's totally flawed thinking for a team that is supposed to be the favourites. He treats every game like we are the underdogs which would be fine if we were fighting a relegation battle, but not when we're going for automatic promotion. 

17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Amazing how good that Jack Byrne is. If only we could attract players like that to Rovers. Guess we don’t have the city attractions of Oldham.

We do have a habit of making very ordinary players look great.

7 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

You'd be forgiven for thinking their full back should have been worried about marking Armstrong before the game !

Whoever starts wide has to do their defensive duties and drop back but having just signed a good attacking player then he could have been exploiting the space their full back might leave behind him surely, many teams have targeted Nyambe in that sense that's why he's struggled at times.

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I did. Commented he had a good game. certaining pushing himself towards a starting spot. 

Big fan of Bennett. give us work rate, tackles, positional good and 3 assist which is the same as Dack and 1 behind Antonsson who is our top assist this season according to the stats I could find

why bring on Samuel who has done owt recently and you suggest playing him as wing back which he certainly isn't and or play in up front and move Travis to right wing back and have no defensively midfielder

Jesus wept.  I didn't suggest paying him as  a wing back. I said chuck him up front or bare minimum as a right winger. 

Am I the only person that realises we were playing a team near the bottom, who were down to ten men  for the last ten mins of the game... With results elsewhere going for us... And wonders why we didn't throw another forward on for a player who was knackered... And really try to WIN the game???? 

Just now, DE. said:

This sums up the problem with Mowbray for me. He's more worried about defending from Oldham's full back than he is pushing Oldham back so that they can't get into our half in the first place. It's totally flawed thinking for a team that is supposed to be the favourites. He treats every game like we are the underdogs which would be fine if we were fighting a relegation battle, but not when we're going for automatic promotion. 

What makes it worse is that we set out to completely nullify them and still couldn't. I could half forgive this type of thinking if we walked away Sat 0-0. As it happens we set out to kill a game off and still end up going 2 goals down to a fairly average League 1 side.

I dont believe Mowbray really thinks that way about their right back.

But that imo makes it an even worse decision.

I think thats just him looking to justify bottling a big decision he had to make at left back.

He clearly likes williams, he's played every game for us. He had to upset him or bell and give someone the nod to be 1st choice going forward and he couldnt do it and took the easy way out.

To make it worse he left armstrong out in the process who is our only player with real pace and who has to play every game for me

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What makes it worse is that we set out to completely nullify them and still couldn't. I could half forgive this type of thinking if we walked away Sat 0-0. As it happens we set out to kill a game off and still end up going 2 goals down to a fairly average League 1 side.

Fairly average is being kind. They've won 8 games all season and I think had lost 5 on the spin away from home before coming up against us. And Mowbray was terrified by their right back and Byrne? Give me a break. 

Also interesting that Mowbray says "teams like Blackburn Rovers should be beating Oldham" ... weren't most of us called entitled by certain posters on Saturday for expressing the same sentiments? I suppose that makes Mowbray an entitled dunce too then?

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Jesus wept.  I didn't suggest paying him as  a wing back. I said chuck him up front or bare minimum as a right winger. 

Am I the only person that realises we were playing a team near the bottom, who were down to ten men  for the last ten mins of the game... With results elsewhere going for us... And wonders why we didn't throw another forward on for a player who was knackered... And really try to WIN the game???? 

But Bennett was playing right wing back so bring Samuel would have upset the shape we had. 

We were trying to.win the game. Armstrong's header only just went wide and Payne's header was weak and he had time to take it down and place it in the corner. 

Archived