BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

Well was that two points thrown away today or a point gained? Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been with Wigan and Shrewsbury both losing. Massive game at Portsmouth on Tuesday. My team would be -

Raya

Nyambe      Lenaghan     Mulgrew      Bell

Travis      Smallwood       Payne

Dack               Armstrong

Graham

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett  Travis  Smallwood  Bell

Dack 

Graham Armstrong

subs:- Luetwiler Nyambe Evans Conway Antonsson  Samuel Payne

Do Downing wouldn't even get on the bench now?

Conway is pointless and a waste of a squad space 

I wouldn't be adverse to giving the team above a try but Payne would rightfully feel hard done to if he was dropped 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Do Downing wouldn't even get on the bench now?

Conway is pointless and a waste of a squad space 

I wouldn't be adverse to giving the team above a try but Payne would rightfully feel hard done to if he was dropped 

Put Downing on bench in place of Conway BUT I wouldnt be starting Payne. 

I'd give Travis a start alongside Smallwood. Travis could really make that second central midfield position his own, because no other player has bothered to grasp that spot this season. Travis has been excellent in his two recent sub appearances, particularly today.

I think we're going to quickly discover that Armstrong is an impact player, and a not a first-teamer. I don't think Toon are going to like that.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Smallwood

Payne Dack Armstrong

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Downing, Williams, Bennett, Antonsson, Samuel, Nuttall

Now is not the time to throw complicated new formations onto the players. Simplicity is key.

Harsh on Travis but I just have looked at covering every position on the bench.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To not include him even on the bench, after his excellent substitute appearances recently, isn't just harsh, it's an absolute Travis-ty.

Just thought I'd roll that one out again!

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Smallwood

Payne Dack Armstrong

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Downing, Williams, Bennett, Antonsson, Samuel, Nuttall

Now is not the time to throw complicated new formations onto the players. Simplicity is key.

Evans??? Why? Done nowt all season. 

Armstrong wide? Why? He a striker. Play him there

No Travis? Why??? Played well now drop totally. Clueless

I think Nyambe needs dropping for a while. He's given two goals away in recent matches by not being strong enough and being bullied off the ball. Stops breaks forward by stopping and playing the ball back, thus allowing the opposition to regroup.

Just now, Al said:

I think Nyambe needs dropping for a while. He's given two goals away in recent matches by not being strong enough and being bullied off the ball. Stops breaks forward by stopping and playing the ball back, thus allowing the opposition to regroup.

Crikey, I think that could be more levelled at Derrick Williams than Ryan Nyambe! Nymabe often bludgeons his way forward, and often with some skill. Even if he occasionally resembles a hippopotamus on roller-skates.

I agree that Nyambe has been at fault for a couple of goals recently (Northampton the other one?), but when you consider that our alternative is Paul Caddis, who in no way offers anything going forward... Nyambe it is.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Crikey, I think that could be more levelled at Derrick Williams than Ryan Nyambe! Nymabe often bludgeons his way forward, and often with some skill. Even if he occasionally resembles a hippopotamus on roller-skates.

I agree that Nyambe has been at fault for a couple of goals recently (Northampton the other one?), but when you consider that our alternative is Paul Caddis, who in no way offers anything going forward... Nyambe it is.

Travis or Lenihan?

2 minutes ago, Al said:

Definite improvement on Nyambe. Travis has played well there before.

Except Travis has played really well in midfield from what I've seen of him. But maybe Tinker Tony will take you up on that one Al!

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Evans??? Why? Done nowt all season. 

Armstrong wide? Why? He a striker. Play him there

No Travis? Why??? Played well now drop totally. Clueless

Evans - Simply a lack of alternatives. Bennett needs dropping.

Armstrong - part of the front 4 that looked so well balanced v Walsall.

Travis - As I said, on second thoughts swap for Nuttall.

No wonder you rub so many people up the wrong way talking to them like that.

• Moderation Lead

As well Chaddy, you literally said in the match thread ‘Travis? Was ok today, must be watching a different game’. 

So that’s quite an upgrade from ‘ok’ to ‘excellent’...

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Evans - Simply a lack of alternatives. Bennett needs dropping.

Armstrong - part of the front 4 that looked so well balanced v Walsall.

Travis - As I said, on second thoughts swap for Nuttall.

No wonder you rub so many people up the wrong way talking to them like that.

Evans done nothing. 

Armstrong played up front and scored. Striker. Play him there not wide. 

Travis should be starting not Evans. Evans didnt come on today even. When did he last have a good game for us?

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

As well Chaddy, you literally said in the match thread ‘Travis? Was ok today, must be watching a different game’. 

So that’s quite an upgrade from ‘ok’ to ‘excellent’...

Thsts was roversfan99 comment. 

Travis was good. Must start

59 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Nymabe often bludgeons his way forward, and often with some skill. Even if he occasionally resembles a hippopotamus on roller-skates.

Well that beats "Bambi on Ice". ROFLMAO.  if anyone understands the letters in capital.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Evans done nothing. 

Armstrong played up front and scored. Striker. Play him there not wide. 

Travis should be starting not Evans. Evans didnt come on today even. When did he last have a good game for us?

Evans is very average, I agree, but I would not feel confident putting the inexperienced Travis in just yet, and Bennett has had a really poor season, and was poor again. Its a headache for the manager of the bad kind. 

He did, but Graham has been excellent recently (criminally under supported today) and him and Dack cant be dropped, nor should we make a complicated new formation to suit him.

There'll be changes again both selection and tactics and I think we'll lose this by two or three, another big crowd and fired up team, another midweek game and another set of ready made excuses.

To be honest i'd be tempted to go 442 with two banks of four and get right back to basics if he's going to play defensive on the wings then do it properly instead of expecting strikers/midfielders or defenders to sit there and turn into Harry Chapman when we counter.

I think we are in for a sticky patch for a game or two then hopefully they'll get it together again.

Pompey 3   Rovers 1

Archived