BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

I don't know but having watched it again I think Vinnie Jones would have been proud of that challenge. Ouch!

Or Graeme Souness.  Fair play to Bennett & Mulgrew trying to sort the Melee afterwards.  Don't think it was malicious though.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team only works really well whenever it is set up positively with attacking intent from the first whistle time and again this is proven !!!!

Great stuff tonight from players and manager, he really is great one min then oddly confused over nothing the next but his signings mostly deliver when he gives them chance

Armstrong will probably be dropped now :lol: but again there is zero excuse not to start the same next match if possible.

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

Armstrong will probably be dropped now but again there is zero excuse not to start the same next match if possible.

Samuel has surely played himself out of contention now. I'm not sure he's even any use as an impact sub at this point. 

21 minutes ago, DE. said:

Samuel has surely played himself out of contention now. I'm not sure he's even any use as an impact sub at this point. 

Yeah I forgot about him although I did say he was one i'd look to trade in the window I've never ever been a fan there's not much impact about him either but he is due a good game and a goal. No hiding place in a home game on the box and it does help keep Graham fresh giving him the odd rest but if Samuel   doesn't put it in then he should be way down the pecking order.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I'm not a fan of Raya. Fantastic shot stopper but needs to do the absolute basics better.

He is frustrating but I genuinely think he has bags of potential and we should stick with him, his natural instincts and reflexes are superb.

I'm not clued up enough to say for sure but personally don't feel it's ideal that our goalkeeping coach is a young lad without professional experience. Think Raya could do with an ex pro to guide him a little in the arts of tactical goalkeeping.

Whats Bobby up to these days?

Just now, Tom said:

He is frustrating but I genuinely think he has bags of potential and we should stick with him, his natural instincts and reflexes are superb.

I'm not clued up enough to say for sure but personally don't feel it's ideal that our goalkeeping coach is a young lad without professional experience. Think Raya could do with an ex pro to guide him a little in the arts of tactical goalkeeping.

Excellent point about the GK coach apart from running through standard drills I don't se what in game situation advice someone like that could give although I think the other keeper is a bit more experienced so that might help.

You do normally get ex pro keepers training your first choice goalies though at most clubs i'd wager, all about the cheap wages though now I suppose.

The defending for their goal was criminal, nyambe had to be told by the centre half to go into his right back position and defend against the winger, but by the time he got there the cross was put in and goal, very poor. Some of the players, raya, nyambe, williams they can't seem to do the basic things right at times (williams less so, but nothing going forward) . Meaning we are playing a game of 'we will score more than you'. 

Armstrong, two lovely goals, our best player going forward. Dack quiet again, needs a rest. Bennett more effective when out wide. Lenihan looked like hed never been away when he came on.

Not a great performance, but we won. 

33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Tonight we were very lucky. Played badly and won.

And yet the general consensus on the Portsmouth message board from their fans (who attended the game) is that we deserved to win. A couple of their comments for you:

"Second best to every 50/50 ball. They upped their game when they wanted/had to.

The difference between where we want to be and where we are was right there on the pitch."

"Thought Blackburn showed they are a class above most were playing Championship last season.First half their passing often turned us inside out,interpassing in attack with 3/4 players always available quick breaks and cut the defence like hot knife through butter at times"

1 minute ago, D-side17 said:

And yet the general consensus on the Portsmouth message board from their fans (who attended the game) is that we deserved to win. A couple of their comments for you:

"Second best to every 50/50 ball. They upped their game when they wanted/had to.

The difference between where we want to be and where we are was right there on the pitch."

"Thought Blackburn showed they are a class above most were playing Championship last season.First half their passing often turned us inside out,interpassing in attack with 3/4 players always available quick breaks and cut the defence like hot knife through butter at times"

And as they point out their budget is nothing compared to ours.

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

What a terrific win. Shame Shrewsbury won again. Wheels coming off at Wigan?

I am convinced that being in the FA Cup distracts the players from full concentration. The same. has nearly always happened to Rovers.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

What has happened to Nyambe?

According to JAL he's as rubbish as he's always been. But tonight he collided with Raya in a complete @&?* up and got stretchered off. Fortunately he's not too bad having bitten his tongue. 

56 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I don't think their current blip has anything to do with the cup run,

See my first comment.

Listening to Radio Lancs I bit my nails right down. Why do Rovers always have us hanging on the edge?  Brilliant 3 points tonight. Well done the lads; those on the pitch and those on the terracing.:rover:

Just now, Stuart said:

The highlight underline just how lucky we were. Only right at the end did we create any real chances. Their defender will be gutted tonight.

Don't understand why you're being so churlish tonight Stuart, the 3 points are not "the only consolation" they're "the only things that matter!" If we play poorly and win in any game between now and the end of the season I couldn't give a flying one.

And I have to say listening to the radio commentary it didnt sound like we were even playing that badly tbh. A bit too open for the purists maybe but I feel we're always better when we're going for it.

10 minutes ago, bazza said:

I am convinced that being in the FA Cup distracts the players from full concentration. The same. has nearly always happened to Rovers.

According to JAL he's as rubbish as he's always been. But tonight he collided with Raya in a complete @&?* up and got stretchered off. Fortunately he's not too bad having bitten his tongue. 

See my first comment.

Listening to Radio Lancs I bit my nails right down. Why do Rovers always have us hanging on the edge?  Brilliant 3 points tonight. Well done the lads; those on the pitch and those on the terracing.:rover:

Nyambe got stretchered off because he bit his tongue? We’ll blow me. Is his tongue tied to his legs then?

Just now, den said:

Only saw the second half, but I thought we were the better team. Dacks the man though, stop him and you stop Rovers.

I'd have said that a month or two ago but I would say it's slightly less the case with Armstrong and Payne in the line up (on the rare occasions TM starts them all together)

I'm very impressed with Armstrong. I hope we move heaven and earth to sign both him and Chap.an in the summer.

• Backroom

Well I can go to sleep a happy man, expected at best to match Wigan and Shrewsburys results so to gain 3 points on Wigan is marvellous.

Just realised that Wigan play City in the cup this weekend so we have a chance to go above them Monday night, games in hand or not they still need to travel to Ewood so if we get above them we can make them nervous.

Keep within a point or so of Shrewsbury and we can pip them as well, they seem doggedly consistent but showed at weekend they aren't infallible and Rotherham won't be easy on Saturday.

59 minutes ago, Tom said:

Very unfair on Ben Benson there Tom. 

I thought the board would be more positive but people are focusing on the negatives. Lets focus on Armstrong scoring 2 goals and us winning  

'Fighting spirit and togetherness' 

Head coach Tony Mowbray impressed as his #Blackburn side close the gap on the automatic promotion places.

? https://t.co/0l1PiSsIj0…

#Rovers #bbcfootball ? https://t.co/CTeVXzbPRy

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No I still think we should stick to what we know. Still a gamble. I think we should improve either way with Lenihan back. Im just saying if we do play it, we cant have Williams in the team as he doesnt fit, neither does Nyambe injury permitting.

3 at the back suits the players and players are playing in their right positions. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Fair enough. Didn’t realise you’d “seen Tweets” I take it all back. We weren’t at all fortunate. TM changed the game for us. He’s a master tactician who has just been biding his time. Clever to disguise it as an injury to Nyambe. Starting Samuel was also a great decoy.

C’mon you’ve been peddling three at the back for a couple of weeks now and are looking to justify it by our scabby win tonight: thanks to a disastrous mistake by a Pompey player.

Tonight we were very lucky. Played badly and won. The only consolation is that that is the trick of champions.

I cant be bother with debating with someone like yourself on here pointless cos you are a person with cocky clever i am better than anybody else attitude. 

A win is a win. Couldnt give a toss how we played but Pompey messageboard comments and Rovers fans comment are saying we were better team. 

Archived