BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Like I said, not as bad as Best, just in terms of attitude outweighing what he does have going for him.

Totally see where you’re coming from, Best was a @#/? though... even at the end of the season he will be cheaper than that @#/?!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would it when its not proving enough of an asset to be effective in League 1?

No i havent, nor Leon Best, neither have you Im guessing so its a moot point either way.

My point has been taken out of context. Basically, in particular in the last couple of months, he has appeared languid, disinterested, stroppy and at times lazy in my opinion. As I've just shown, previous managers have discarded him due to his attitude.

The reason I mentioned Leon Best is, he has had brief spells in his career where he has put in enough to get himself a few goals, at Coventry and Newcastle, obviously culminating in us wasting alot of money on him. He's quite a physical handful but his application throughout his career has meant that managers can justify his signing based on the brief spells I mentioned, but in the end hes been underwhelming at the vast majority of clubs that hes been too.

I hope that he starts putting in 100% effort and proves all the managers that have managed him before wrong, and goes on to be a success at Rovers.

I think you have to give Samuel a proper chance and he has been effective in some games when we played on the counter like Peterbrough away. 

I think its very hard to judge players these days as we don't see much of the them in the public domain apart from games. I did get him to sign my Step Daughter shirt and he was very respectful to her. The team spirit within the Rovers players and staff is fantastic and I know this after a friend was talking to Danny Graham Last Sunday. 

Mowbray has managed Samuel at Coventry and he signed him permanent here and his 2nd cash signing here. 

I think Samuel was to play and be a starter here, yes he can been lazy but so has Graham this season in my opinion. 

Best has been handful at every club he been at. Bowyer got him out of this club very quickly when he throw his toys out of his pram

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/curious-case-dominic-samuel-never-13362740

Interesting read from the summer. 

For all the potential he has shown in brief spells, he has simply not delivered and in the end, Reading's patience ran out.

Managers have come and gone since McDermott, but none really took to Samuel.

Nigel Adkins was critical of the player's attitude, as was current boss Jaap Stam. Samuel never a key part in Steve Clarke's plans when he was manager.

I remember having discussions with @chaddyrovers earlier in the season who was championing Samuel, hes never convinced me.

There are some attributes that some players would use to their advantage, hes quick, hes powerful, hes strong, that give people including myself at times glimmers to cling onto from time to time.

He reminds me a bit of Leon Best, I can forsee managers taking a chance on him as he does have many attacking attributes, but he will never have the attitude or consistency to achieve very much.

Hopefully we can get shut in the summer.

Only thing I'd say is if the player looks like they have the attributes (as Samuel does) you have to make sure you have really exhausted everything to try and get the them performing.

A great example is Josh King. Had a poor attitude, played out of position, no one was that bothered when he left, went on to be superb for the cherries.

I'd hate Samuel to be another one of those.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you have to give Samuel a proper chance and he has been effective in some games when we played on the counter like Peterbrough away. 

I think its very hard to judge players these days as we don't see much of the them in the public domain apart from games. I did get him to sign my Step Daughter shirt and he was very respectful to her. The team spirit within the Rovers players and staff is fantastic and I know this after a friend was talking to Danny Graham Last Sunday. 

Mowbray has managed Samuel at Coventry and he signed him permanent here and his 2nd cash signing here. 

I think Samuel was to play and be a starter here, yes he can been lazy but so has Graham this season in my opinion. 

Best has been handful at every club he been at. Bowyer got him out of this club very quickly when he throw his toys out of his pram

Did you go to Peterborough? I didnt so cant comment but for every game hes effective he has 5 or 6 off days, you need consistency.

As ive showed you in that article, previous managers have given up on him because of his bad attitude, and I've seen him numerous times look like he cant be bothered, surely all these send alarm bells off? Im sure hes a nice man and I am sure the team spirit is good but neither has anything to do with my point, I'm sure Leon Best has signed autographs before.

I know Best is well known now as a bad influence, and is an extreme example of someone who has had a career of occasional spells of goals but general laziness and bad attitude, I am not saying they are the same, 

You wanted Graham out of the club, but hes really knuckled down in the last few months and we are playing far more attacking football, we were much more defensive earlier in the season and it didnt suit Graham, hes not got long left in him, he can only dream of Samuels pace but hes got the know how and is working harder at the moment and as a result is far more effective. 

For me, hes been a poor signing and if we go up, he wont be good enough for the Championship, and if we stay down he doesnt have the consistency from what ive seen to take us up.

Not sure you understand the point im making.

Fingers crossed he knuckles down and proves everyone wrong.

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did you go to Peterborough? I didnt so cant comment but for every game hes effective he has 5 or 6 off days, you need consistency.

As ive showed you in that article, previous managers have given up on him because of his bad attitude, and I've seen him numerous times look like he cant be bothered, surely all these send alarm bells off? Im sure hes a nice man and I am sure the team spirit is good but neither has anything to do with my point, I'm sure Leon Best has signed autographs before.

I know Best is well known now as a bad influence, and is an extreme example of someone who has had a career of occasional spells of goals but general laziness and bad attitude, I am not saying they are the same, 

You wanted Graham out of the club, but hes really knuckled down in the last few months and we are playing far more attacking football, we were much more defensive earlier in the season and it didnt suit Graham, hes not got long left in him, he can only dream of Samuels pace but hes got the know how and is working harder at the moment and as a result is far more effective. 

For me, hes been a poor signing and if we go up, he wont be good enough for the Championship, and if we stay down he doesnt have the consistency from what ive seen to take us up.

Not sure you understand the point im making.

Fingers crossed he knuckles down and proves everyone wrong.

How can you comment on Samuel or Best attitudes when u never met these people? 

No it doesnt set off any alarm bells for me as I trust Mowbray to keep him in line and experience players aswell. Plus he has knuckled down and remain patience for his chance. No sign of any sort kick off and asking for a transfer so why say such that he has to knuckled down for? 

Watched the all Peterbrough game. Thanks  

If Samuel and Best arent the same then why compare them then?

I understand your point and for me you looking at him from a negative viewpoint. 

We won the game and still certain posters look at the negative aspect instead of the positive aspect. 

I would agree that he does have more consistency and thats all down to playing more games and starting games. 

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has never won anything and never will with his signings like Samuel Caddis Nuttall etc. Thankfully one or two others raise the standards from these.

Summertime is move time for Samuel where he can find another league one team to make up the numbers hopefully.

On 13/02/2018 at 23:15, D-side17 said:

And yet the general consensus on the Portsmouth message board from their fans (who attended the game) is that we deserved to win. A couple of their comments for you:

"Second best to every 50/50 ball. They upped their game when they wanted/had to.

The difference between where we want to be and where we are was right there on the pitch."

"Thought Blackburn showed they are a class above most were playing Championship last season.First half their passing often turned us inside out,interpassing in attack with 3/4 players always available quick breaks and cut the defence like hot knife through butter at times"

Is this what Rovers fans where saying after the Hull cup game recently ?

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Mowbray has never won anything and never will with his signings like Samuel Caddis Nuttall etc. Thankfully one or two others raise the standards from these.

Summertime is move time for Samuel where he can find another league one team to make up the numbers hopefully.

Mowbray won the Championship title and promotion with West Brom 10 season ago. 

Nothing wrong with Samuel and Nuttall signings unless you talking about rubbish things again

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray won the Championship title and promotion with West Brom 10 season ago. 

Nothing wrong with Samuel and Nuttall signings unless you talking about rubbish things again

Wow TEN seasons ago ago wow ! 

Nothing wrong with Samuel or Nuttall ? What when they are playing left back in the changing rooms whilst the loanees do the job that they are supposedly paid to do. OK chaddy .

They re not much kop in league one so god knows how poor they'll be in the championship.

6 minutes ago, JAL said:

Nothing wrong with Samuel or Nuttall ? What when they are playing left back in the changing rooms whilst the loanees do the job that they are supposedly paid to do. OK chaddy .

They re not much kop in league one so god knows how poor they'll be in the championship.

So you're complaining that our bench to is not made up of quality championship players? We're in league one, and therefore need league one players. If we go up then both Samuel and Nuttall will have made important contributions as part of the squad.

2 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

So you're complaining that our bench to is not made up of quality championship players? We're in league one, and therefore need league one players. If we go up then both Samuel and Nuttall will have made important contributions as part of the squad.

They've made very little contribution to this campaign  and now we have the rest doing the job that they have fallen behind on.

Why are they paid ?

Just now, JAL said:

They've made very little contribution to this campaign  and now we have the rest doing the job that they have fallen behind on.

Your argument about Samuel may have a bit of truth to it but the argument against Nuttall just goes to show you don't really have much a @#/?ing clue.

He was signed as a young lad and, when called upon, has put the ball in the back of the net. I think he's scored 4 goals for us this season? Not bad for a young lad who has played under 10 senior games in a Rovers shirt.

As usual you are totally unrealistic in your expectations. 

51 minutes ago, JAL said:

Wow Jal moans about nothing as per usual.

Samuel has made 26 league apps so far. Not left back in changing room. 

Nuttall is young and still developing. So why constant moaning about it I have no idea. 

We have 4 loan players thats it and still you have to nick pick as per usual. Nothing wrong with loan players at all. 

I wouldnt be surprise if we signed all 4 loan players if we go up.

Armstrong is a goal scorer, Payne techinal good and Chapman is pacey winger. Antonsson has scored goals and assisted in goals. 

So what your moan about this time???

30 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

No surprise tbh is it. 

He has moaned about Nyambe for 12 to 18 months. Now he has move onto Samuel and Nuttall. 

Clearly unhappy about something. Possibly who their agent is. Couldnt give a toss tbh

Samuel actually made his first senior appearance in the PL, so he must have been highly rated at one time. It's all been downhill since then and I can see why TM would have taken a punta on him. Perhaps he feels he can get the lad back on track but I'm not convinced he has the ight mental attributes - hope he proves me wrong though.

Watched the full replay of the Portsmouth game and if we didn't come away from there with three points it would have been a shame. We dominated possession but at the same time we didn't create a whole lot. Sloppy goal gave away. Lenihan looked very assured when playing and Travis looks like he has a bit about him. Pity about the sending off. Samuel offered nothing really. Looks like he is lacking confidence. Should have tucked away that early chance. Dack was busy but every time he got the ball there was three around him. Every team is zoning in on him now. Needs to counteract that by getting rid of the ball quicker. Hopefully now we can put Bury to the sword on Monday nighy

12 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

Watched the full replay of the Portsmouth game and if we didn't come away from there with three points it would have been a shame. We dominated possession but at the same time we didn't create a whole lot. Sloppy goal gave away. Lenihan looked very assured when playing and Travis looks like he has a bit about him. Pity about the sending off. Samuel offered nothing really. Looks like he is lacking confidence. Should have tucked away that early chance. Dack was busy but every time he got the ball there was three around him. Every team is zoning in on him now. Needs to counteract that by getting rid of the ball quicker. Hopefully now we can put Bury to the sword on Monday nighy

This is surely creating more space for our other players. we need to capatalise on this...

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wow Jal moans about nothing as per usual.

Samuel has made 26 league apps so far. Not left back in changing room. 

Nuttall is young and still developing. So why constant moaning about it I have no idea. 

We have 4 loan players thats it and still you have to nick pick as per usual. Nothing wrong with loan players at all. 

I wouldnt be surprise if we signed all 4 loan players if we go up.

Armstrong is a goal scorer, Payne techinal good and Chapman is pacey winger. Antonsson has scored goals and assisted in goals. 

So what your moan about this time???

Firstly, I'm not moaning about the loanees chaddy, but as for Samuel and Nuttall, both haven't scored since November last year in fact havent done anything of note since then. Samuel had a great  one v one chance against Pompey yet failed to convert, as for Nuttall he's OK with the kids but not so good in the grown ups league and with his lack of pace and application just can't see this improving. No wonder the club had to drag some short term players in january to perform this task that these two clearly struggle with.

Just highlighting areas to improve re playing personnel hope it helps.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No surprise tbh is it. 

He has moaned about Nyambe for 12 to 18 months. Now he has move onto Samuel and Nuttall. 

Clearly unhappy about something. Possibly who their agent is. Couldnt give a toss tbh

How many more howlers do we need to see from Ryan Nyambe before it sinks in with you ?

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Your argument about Samuel may have a bit of truth to it but the argument against Nuttall just goes to show you don't really have much a @#/?ing clue.

He was signed as a young lad and, when called upon, has put the ball in the back of the net. I think he's scored 4 goals for us this season? Not bad for a young lad who has played under 10 senior games in a Rovers shirt.

He's going on 22 years of age his goalscoring isn't great the type of goals he's scored seem bog standard that anyone could score, for me his movement, hold up play, and creativity isn't that good either, plus he's doesn't have that extra burst of pace to get away from his man.

Unrealistic ?

You're having a laugh !

Archived