BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

Just now, Miker said:

Have to feel a bit for Travis, stupid challenge but he was on the verge of breaking into the first 11, but surely a setback now with players coming back from injury and fighting for their place. 

With the players we have, 3-5-2 seems to be the way forward for me. It means our best players play in their best positions and there is more fluidity in the team. 

I agree. It's as Tony planned it all along. He signed players for this formation 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rayas done well to escape criticism really despite various mistakes this season, he always fills me with dread when the ball is in the air, if we go up we need an experienced number 1, maybe loan Raya out.

Samuel is rubbish, hopefully he along with 1 or 2 others will be moved on in the summer.

If we are to go 3-5-2, which im still very unsure about to say the least, then Bell has to slot in at left wing back, Bennett is probably the natural right wing back but his crossing leaves alot to be desired.

I didnt watch but all I care about is results at this stage of the season, Shrewsbury have by far the weakest squad of the top 3 but we need to match alot of the characteristics they have, defensive resilience, and a number of late winners like we also got tonight. 

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

So form your own opinion instead of passing on whatever Rich Sharp (who?) thinks, as though it makes it any more credible.

like I said Stuart, the video wasn't the best and slow and keep stop and start. 

Rich Sharpe is the LT reporter and did the commentary on radio Lancs. 

I seen tweets from Rovers fans at the game and they said 3 at the back change the game for us and worked for us. 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Just seen the Red, think he was just over eager to get there but it's a red card tackle, the lad will beat himself up about it but it didn't cost us nor will it hamper him too much other than missing a match (or two?) 

Needless, disgusting, irresponsible and could have cost us dearly. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

been saying this for a few weeks now. 

very glad you agree

true but huge pressure on them. starting to wonder if this takeover is creating problems behind the scenes there

In the last 6 games theyve got 1 less point than us, so Ive no idea how youve drawn such a drastic conclusion.

4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I don't think their current blip has anything to do with the cup run, but it just shows there are likely to be plenty of twists & turns ahead.

Well done GB. Clearly his boys gave it a right good go this evening.

Could be a crucial win for us. Nice to turn 1 point into 3 instead of the other way around for a change.

we have to agree to disagree. I just think the FA cup run has got in the way of leagues games and the takeover of the club might be having an effect possible

2 minutes ago, Miker said:

Have to feel a bit for Travis, stupid challenge but he was on the verge of breaking into the first 11, but surely a setback now with players coming back from injury and fighting for their place. 

With the players we have, 3-5-2 seems to be the way forward for me. It means our best players play in their best positions and there is more fluidity in the team. 

What I'm been saying for a while on the formation playing Armstrong up front and 3 at the backs makes us more solid at back

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If we are to go 3-5-2, which im still very unsure about to say the least, then Bell has to slot in at left wing back, Bennett is probably the natural right wing back but his crossing leaves alot to be desired.

I didnt watch but all I care about is results at this stage of the season, Shrewsbury have by far the weakest squad of the top 3 but we need to match alot of the characteristics they have, defensive resilience, and a number of late winners like we also got tonight. 

changing your mind/view on formation? 

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

They certainly weren't sh1te tonight, good side at home, partisan crowd, and we beat them.

Onwards and upwards.

The crowd help raise their game with some great vocal support , strip that away and their team is not that good and most probable higher placed than it should be. Bet they had no one to bully us like one two other league sides have done this season.

• Backroom

A stupid challenge from Travis but he's a young player, they make mistakes. If he learns from it then he'll be a better player going forward. It didn't ultimately cost us anything points wise so hopefully that's lesson learned and move on.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

we have to agree to disagree. I just think the FA cup run has got in the way of leagues games and the takeover of the club might be having an effect possible

What I'm been saying for a while on the formation playing Armstrong up front and 3 at the backs makes us more solid at back

changing your mind/view on formation? 

No I still think we should stick to what we know. Still a gamble. I think we should improve either way with Lenihan back. Im just saying if we do play it, we cant have Williams in the team as he doesnt fit, neither does Nyambe injury permitting.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

like I said Stuart, the video wasn't the best and slow and keep stop and start. 

Rich Sharpe is the LT reporter and did the commentary on radio Lancs. 

I seen tweets from Rovers fans at the game and they said 3 at the back change the game for us and worked for us. 

Fair enough. Didn’t realise you’d “seen Tweets” I take it all back. We weren’t at all fortunate. TM changed the game for us. He’s a master tactician who has just been biding his time. Clever to disguise it as an injury to Nyambe. Starting Samuel was also a great decoy.

C’mon you’ve been peddling three at the back for a couple of weeks now and are looking to justify it by our scabby win tonight: thanks to a disastrous mistake by a Pompey player.

Tonight we were very lucky. Played badly and won. The only consolation is that that is the trick of champions.

• Backroom

Match highlights between Portsmouth and Blackburn Rovers. https://t.co/iOfFQnpmlX

Raya is a fabulous shot stopper but he needs to stop coming for balls he isn't strong enough to get, too often he comes out then isn't authoritative enough to clear the danger.

Two lovely finishes from Double A!

• Backroom

Match highlights between Portsmouth and Blackburn Rovers. https://t.co/iOfFQnpmlX

Brilliant work rate from Smallwood to chase that ball and then cross it back in for the first goal. Horrific defending for their equaliser - what in the world is Nyambe doing at 1:25? Then Raya caught in no man's land. Really poor.

A lot of luck in the winner but good reactions from Armstrong. It wasn't pretty but three points is three points. Still massive question marks for me over our defence though. Not convinced Raya, Nyambe or Williams are really good enough. Get Bell into the team on the left at the very least. The other two we'll have to make do with until the end of the season at least.

Archived