BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

Just now, JAL said:

He's going on 22 years of age his goalscoring isn't great the type of goals he's scored seem bog standard that anyone could score, for me his movement, hold up play, and creativity isn't that good either, plus he's doesn't have that extra burst of pace to get away from his man.

Unrealistic ?

You're having a laugh !

Going on 22 years of age :D:D He is 23, which is still pretty young. 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JAL said:

He's going on 22 years of age his goalscoring isn't great the type of goals he's scored seem bog standard that anyone could score, for me his movement, hold up play, and creativity isn't that good either, plus he's doesn't have that extra burst of pace to get away from his man.

Unrealistic ?

You're having a laugh !

Players in these leagues tend to only have one of those attributes though that's why they are down here there's probably plenty bog standard finishers making a career in league 1 :o

3 minutes ago, JAL said:

Unrealistic ?

You're having a laugh !

His goalscoring isn't great? Since he's come to Rovers I'd wager he one of the highest scoring rates in a Rovers shirt of the whole squad, regardless of what level it's at. 

Much like Rhodes - if he plays and scores he's done his job for me. Let the creative midfield type do their job and let him do his.

You are unrealistic. You jump on any young player out there for the mistakes they make. You can't have a Phil Jones or a Duff come through the academy every time. 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

His goalscoring isn't great? Since he's come to Rovers I'd wager he one of the highest scoring rates in a Rovers shirt of the whole squad, regardless of what level it's at. 

Much like Rhodes - if he plays and scores he's done his job for me. Let the creative midfield type do their job and let him do his.

You are unrealistic. You jump on any young player out there for the mistakes they make. You can't have a Phil Jones or a Duff come through the academy every time. 

He's all round play and finishing isn't good enough at first team level.

Just now, tomphil said:

Players in these leagues tend to only have one of those attributes though that's why they are down here there's probably plenty bog standard finishers making a career in league 1 :o

I'm looking forward going up the leagues not stopping in this plant pot league.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

He's scored in 50%+ of the games he's played by my reckoning. What part of his finishing displeases you?

Tap ins late on as a sub easy peasy!

We need far better that's the standard required otherwise it's empty seats m'lord.

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is it easy peasy? There's a million kids out there all let go that would say otherwise.

What would it take for you to take your seat?

Its easier when your playing with one of the strongest teams in the league that can set you up with greater frequency and in greater positions to score your goals.

When it gets harder is when playing standards rise (higher league) then you find out who's at the next level.

Are the under 23's going to win something this season with Nuttall ?

Just now, JAL said:

Its easier when your playing with one of the strongest teams in the league that can set you up with greater frequency and in greater positions to score your goals.

When it gets harder is when playing standards rise (higher league) then you find out who's at the next level.

We are top of PL2 yes.

He can only play what is in front of him. If you are berating him for scoring goals in one of the strongest teams in the league then the boy can't win, can he? You change the goalposts as and when it suits you.

One minute he isn't scoring, then it's easy for him to score because of the team he plays for. You've done the same with Nyambe all season long.

What irks me more is that you haven't took the time out to watch these young lads play. Posters can be very critical of players, including myself, but at least they see them play week in week out. When was the last time you saw either of them two play?

37 minutes ago, JAL said:

Firstly, I'm not moaning about the loanees chaddy, but as for Samuel and Nuttall, both haven't scored since November last year in fact havent done anything of note since then. Samuel had a great  one v one chance against Pompey yet failed to convert, as for Nuttall he's OK with the kids but not so good in the grown ups league and with his lack of pace and application just can't see this improving. No wonder the club had to drag some short term players in january to perform this task that these two clearly struggle with.

Just highlighting areas to improve re playing personnel hope it helps.

Graham didnt do much till November. 

Graham has been regular since then so both barely played since then. 

Yes Samuel miss a good chance just like most players do. Even the great Messi or Neymar miss chances. 

Nuttall has 4 goals this season.and only a couple behind Samuel. Nuttall barely players in recent weeks due to the form of Graham and Dack

35 minutes ago, JAL said:

How many more howlers do we need to see from Ryan Nyambe before it sinks in with you ?

Another one pointless Vendetta

3 minutes ago, JAL said:

We are top of the league at 23's. What more do you want? 

Nuttall hasnt been playing much recently for under 23's. 

What your vendetta with Nuttall now? Bored of bullying Nyambe now? Or problem with his agent? 

12 minutes ago, JAL said:

Tap ins late on as a sub easy peasy!

We need far better that's the standard required otherwise it's empty seats m'lord.

Nuttall has only scored tap ins? Really? 

Better standard? 

What empty seats? 

You going down tonight to watch?

6 hours ago, JAL said:

They've made very little contribution to this campaign  and now we have the rest doing the job that they have fallen behind on.

Why are they paid ?

They are probably paid pittance compared to Wittingham and Evans who have contributed far less this season.

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How can you comment on Samuel or Best attitudes when u never met these people? 

No it doesnt set off any alarm bells for me as I trust Mowbray to keep him in line and experience players aswell. Plus he has knuckled down and remain patience for his chance. No sign of any sort kick off and asking for a transfer so why say such that he has to knuckled down for? 

Watched the all Peterbrough game. Thanks  

If Samuel and Best arent the same then why compare them then?

I understand your point and for me you looking at him from a negative viewpoint. 

We won the game and still certain posters look at the negative aspect instead of the positive aspect. 

I would agree that he does have more consistency and thats all down to playing more games and starting games. 

Chaddy, im basing it on when i can plainly see him showing a bad attitude or a lack of work ethic on the pitch, the article regarding previous managers suggest his attitude has been an issue in the past and I feel like ive seen poor work ethic when ive seen him play. Simple as that.

Regarding your point about me being negative about a win. Im talking about an issue totally seperate from the win. Just continuing the discussion about samuel which is admittedly off topic from the game. But saying rubbish like that makes the whole point of a messageboard obsolete.

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy, im basing it on when i can plainly see him showing a bad attitude or a lack of work ethic on the pitch, the article regarding previous managers suggest his attitude has been an issue in the past and I feel like ive seen poor work ethic when ive seen him play. Simple as that.

Regarding your point about me being negative about a win. Im talking about an issue totally seperate from the win. Just continuing the discussion about samuel which is admittedly off topic from the game. But saying rubbish like that makes the whole point of a messageboard obsolete.

so you didn't his performances at Peterbrough or home to Bristol Rovers? 

lack of work ethic or bad attitude? You didn't like I said Graham was last that. 

The article is old and not recent. 

Have you seen any sort of comment from Mowbray about his poor attitude in the past few months

Poor work ethic? what games? 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

so you didn't his performances at Peterbrough or home to Bristol Rovers? 

lack of work ethic or bad attitude? You didn't like I said Graham was last that. 

The article is old and not recent. 

Have you seen any sort of comment from Mowbray about his poor attitude in the past few months

Poor work ethic? what games? 

Didn't see his performance v Peterborough but you are failing to understand my point.

Firstly, that article was from the summer. The reason Reading let him go despite the lack of a decent striker themselves is because numerous managers have seen issues with his attitude.

For me, he hasnt shown the quality or consistency to be good enough at this level, so hed be well out of his depth in the league above. But most worryingly, I dont believe that he has the work ethic of someone who is desperate to improve, based on his general performances, which corresponds with previous managers views.

Maybe his attitude is fine, but alot of the time he appears like he cant really been bothered, and as far as Mowbray goes, the fact that hes dropped down the pecking order and the fact that Mowbray felt the need to sign another striker despite having a 500k striker on the bench, suggests he doesnt have 100% faith in him.

Like ive said previously, there is some pace there, there is some power there, but hes not scored enough goals, and hes not done nearly enough to get a place in the team in League 1, and I would move him on at the first opportunity. I think hes been a very poor signing for the money paid.

• Moderation Lead

I largely agree with the above sentiments re Samuel to be fair. 

He started really well, but then, has tailed off quite a lot. I think there’s a player in there somewhere and it hasn’t helped with him playing out wide. With that being said, he could always take a leaf out of Bear Grylls’ book ‘improvise, adapt, overcome’ and all that...

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Didn't see his performance v Peterborough but you are failing to understand my point.

Firstly, that article was from the summer. The reason Reading let him go despite the lack of a decent striker themselves is because numerous managers have seen issues with his attitude.

For me, he hasnt shown the quality or consistency to be good enough at this level, so hed be well out of his depth in the league above. But most worryingly, I dont believe that he has the work ethic of someone who is desperate to improve, based on his general performances, which corresponds with previous managers views.

Maybe his attitude is fine, but alot of the time he appears like he cant really been bothered, and as far as Mowbray goes, the fact that hes dropped down the pecking order and the fact that Mowbray felt the need to sign another striker despite having a 500k striker on the bench, suggests he doesnt have 100% faith in him.

Like ive said previously, there is some pace there, there is some power there, but hes not scored enough goals, and hes not done nearly enough to get a place in the team in League 1, and I would move him on at the first opportunity. I think hes been a very poor signing for the money paid.

Yet again I understand the point fine thanks. 

Reading have done well since he gone haven't they. Maybe he needs a manager who can develop his talent and not drop him at the chance like Howe did with King at Bournemouth

I remember people saying King couldn't be bothered and was lazy and he is now playing regular first team football at Bournemouth. whilst Rhodes and Gestede are still in the championship. 

He appears? maybe that's not the problem, maybe he frustrated as he knows he can do both. 

Dack form means that Samuel hasn't played up front with Graham as much as with us playing 4-2-3-1 formation maybe he might have if we played 3-5-2 formation all season he might have scored more goals and performed much better

when a player with Armstrong quality comes available you get him sign up asap. 

Just now, K-Hod said:

I largely agree with the above sentiments re Samuel to be fair. 

He started really well, but then, has tailed off quite a lot. I think there’s a player in there somewhere and it hasn’t helped with him playing out wide. With that being said, he could always take a leaf out of Bear Grylls’ book ‘improvise, adapt, overcome’ and all that...

"I think there’s a player in there somewhere" is the frustrating thing isnt it.

He looked good in his first couple of games, the comparison to Leon Best has maybe caused a bit of controversy but I used him because managers throughout his career continued to take a chance on him as theres a player in there too, occasional flickers and glimpses but ultimately a career of disappointment and underfulfillment.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again I understand the point fine thanks. 

Reading have done well since he gone haven't they. Maybe he needs a manager who can develop his talent and not drop him at the chance like Howe did with King at Bournemouth

I remember people saying King couldn't be bothered and was lazy and he is now playing regular first team football at Bournemouth. whilst Rhodes and Gestede are still in the championship. 

He appears? maybe that's not the problem, maybe he frustrated as he knows he can do both. 

Dack form means that Samuel hasn't played up front with Graham as much as with us playing 4-2-3-1 formation maybe he might have if we played 3-5-2 formation all season he might have scored more goals and performed much better

when a player with Armstrong quality comes available you get him sign up asap. 

You say that as if Readings underachievement is down to not having Dominic Samuel. Missing the point which is that more than 1 manager gave up on him, a player with some good attributes, not because of his ability but because of his attitude.

All I ever saw was people saying about King was that he was constantly injured, which he was, and that it would be stupid to break up a strikeforce scoring over 40 goals a season, which it would have been. Nothing about a bad attitude so not sure where thats from.

Grahams only really been consistent himself in the last couple of months, Samuel had 4 or 5 months to show enough quality, work rate and consistency to nail down that first choice strikers role, sadly his glimpes were fleeting and not of a striker who cost alot of money at this level, as the stats will testify to.

Chaddy, you can tell when someone isnt putting in the effort, I dont feel like he has been all of the time, and I havent seen anywhere near enough to suggest that he can become a consistent striker at this level, never mind the level we are striving to return to. I know you are desperate to defend all of Mowbrays signings, some have been very good, but I think that Samuel has been a poor way to spend 500k.

• Backroom

Reminds me a little of when people were defending Fode Koita. "Just needs a goal to get going" etc. Fact is he just wasn't very good, and Samuel is in the same mould. He can be a handful on his day but those days are few and far between. I'd be surprised if he ever becomes a regular player for any side higher than League One. It's unfortunate that a significant chunk of our summer outlay was spent on him but at least Dack has proven to be worth much more than what we paid for him. 

Archived