BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ideal starting 11

Wanted to get an idea of what everyone’s ideal starting 11 would be if everyone was fit. I don’t think we know our best team or formation. So far this season we’ve had the most joy when we’ve played 4-2-3-1 so I’m going to pick my team based on that.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Whittingham 

Chapman Dack Armstrong

Graham

That’d be who I’d ideally like to see start our home games. For aways you could look to stick Bennett in there in place of Whittingham or maybe in place of the wider of the players behind Graham for his work rate.

I think you can make a case for Williams at left back, anyone next to Smallwood and look to fit Payne in there somewhere. 

Edited by Garage Flower
Being daft
  • Like 2

Certainly for home games the team and tactics we had v Shrews I see no need whatsoever to make any unforced changes or alterations. When you've found a formula that works well then just stick with it until it isn't working, if it keeps working and those in the shirts keep fighting to hold them stay with it and sod sentiment and trying to keep everyone happy the ultimate goal is to win promotion not give as many as possible mins on the pitch.

Others always get their chance through subs, injuries, suspensions, players needing a rest etc so most play a part in it anyway.

55 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

Wanted to get an idea of what everyone’s ideal starting 11 would be if everyone was fit. I don’t think we know our best team or formation. So far this season we’ve had the most joy when we’ve played 4-2-3-1 so I’m going to pick my team based on that.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Whittingham 

Chapman Dack Armstrong

Graham

That’d be who I’d ideally like to see start our home games. For aways you could look to stick Bennett in there in place of Whittingham or maybe in place of the wider of the players behind Graham for his work rate.

I think you can make a case for Williams at left back, anyone next to Smallwood and look to fit Payne in there somewhere. 

Good team. Only potential change would be wide left. Stuck between Armstrong, Antonsson and Payne.

Nows not the time for massive change so agree on no stupid new formation.

Only issue is injuries to Chapman and Whittingham. Also agree that on this seasons performances Bennett certainly isnt in our best 11.

Edited by roversfan99

Ideal is a strong word. Of the players available, and in the theoretical world where all players are fit and not threatened with suspension, my preference would be...

First team

Raya

Nyambe Mulgrew Lenihan Bell

Payne Bennett* Smallwood Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Second team

Fisher

Travis Downing J Doyle (or Platt) Williams

Conway Tomlinson Evans Antonsson

Chapman**

Nuttall

Out in the cold

Leutweiler (meh, convinced he was bought to allow us to postpone games when Mulgrew is called up)

Samuel (not impressed with him - third choice out and out striker on the books imv)

Whittingham (just about trust Evans over him)

Caddis (thanks to Travis’ versatility)

Gladwin (because Gladwin)

Feeney (he should have contributed at this level but he is part of our failure last season)

*I think Bennett is a massive player for this team. Wears his heart on his sleeve and seems to drive the team on. Leads by example. If it wasn’t for this I’d promote Tomlinson and have Bennett as another player who has the ability and versatility to cover a few positions.

** Chapman is a like-for-like Dack replacement and should he used as such. An in-form Dack would take the number 10 spot but a tiring defender would have a fit if he saw him being replaced by Chapman on 70 mins.

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Ideal is a strong word. Of the players available, and in the theoretical world where all players are fit and not threatened with suspension, my preference would be...

First team

Raya

Nyambe Mulgrew Lenihan Bell

Payne Bennett* Smallwood Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Second team

Fisher

Travis Downing J Doyle (or Platt) Williams

Conway Tomlinson Evans Antonsson

Chapman**

Nuttall

Out in the cold

Leutweiler (meh, convinced he was bought to allow us to postpone games when Mulgrew is called up)

Samuel (not impressed with him - third choice out and out striker on the books imv)

Whittingham (just about trust Evans over him)

Caddis (thanks to Travis’ versatility)

Gladwin (because Gladwin)

Feeney (he should have contributed at this level but he is part of our failure last season)

*I think Bennett is a massive player for this team. Wears his heart on his sleeve and seems to drive the team on. Leads by example. If it wasn’t for this I’d promote Tomlinson and have Bennett as another player who has the ability and versatility to cover a few positions.

** Chapman is a like-for-like Dack replacement and should he used as such. An in-form Dack would take the number 10 spot but a tiring defender would have a fit if he saw him being replaced by Chapman on 70 mins.

But Payne is a natural number 10, not a winger, and Chapman is an out and out pacy winger, our only one.

Raya

Nyambe    Lenihan   Mulgrew  Bell

Smallwood  Bennett

Chapman            Dack         Armstrong

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Travis, Whittingham, Payne, Antonsson, Samuel.

Could switch Amrstrong for antonsson, got options there though.

Next game i'd have something similar to what finished the Oldham game

• 11 months later...