BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

Thought the game was a bit flat tonight -as was the atmosphere.  3 5 2 does not work for me.  Bennett is way better in midfield than out wide.  Payne, Dack and Armstrong should all start.  Strange decision to take off Graham.  Antonsson cameo was a reminder of his lack of ability.  Armstrong looks a real threat at this level though - just need Chapman back now.   Smallwood needs to get his booking out the way and sit one out- cone back fresh.   Cory Evans take a bow. Shocking performance by an 'international' player.  

Glad to get the points but we can do much better.

Team that should start every week should be:

Raya

Nyambe.   Lennihan.  Mulgrew.    Bell

Smallwood.       Bennett

Payne.    Dack.        Armstrong 

Graham

Edit: hadn't seen the earlier post with same lineup.  It really is clear cut lol

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I can't understand why Mowbray picked Evans, not one person on here would have chosen him.

Evans had a terrible game, but he simply isn't match fit in my opinion. If he is match fit, then he's lost his way completely. The moment that sticks out for me is in the first half, when Bury countered down the wing. Over the space of about 10 yards, Evans lost about 3 yards on his man, and simply gave up.

I honestly don't know what he offers to the team anymore. Payne is an attacking midfielder, but offered so much more defensively. My worry with Payne is if he's just an impact sub. He has definitely had a couple of quiet games in the starting XI, but if Evans is the alternative...!

As for nobody on here wanting Evans on the lineup, check with @chaddyrovers on that one. ;) As for the rest of us, I think we saw the writing on the wall long ago.

11 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Surely Mowbray (and Chaddy) have to give up this pipe-dream of 3-5-2 it never works!

We ended up with 7 men behind the ball marking space for most of the first half.

As soon as we went to 442 everyone knew where the teammates were and our play looked much more balanced.

I can't understand why Mowbray picked Evans, not one person on here would have chosen him. Clearly below par and has been poor as long as we can remember. Hope he is dropped now.

Quality of the squad getting Mowbray out of jail again.

We didn't go 4-4-2?

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thought the game was a bit flat tonight -as was the atmosphere.  3 5 2 does not work for me.  Bennett is way better in midfield than out wide.  Payne, Dack and Armstrong should all start.  Strange decision to take off Graham.  Antonsson cameo was a reminder of his lack of ability.  Armstrong looks a real threat at this level though - just need Chapman back now.   Smallwood needs to get his booking out the way and sit one out- cone back fresh.   Cory Evans take a bow. Shocking performance by an 'international' player.  

Glad to get the points but we can do much better.

Team that should start every week should be:

Raya

Nyambe.   Lennihan.  Mulgrew.    Bell

Smallwood.       Bennett

Payne.    Dack.        Armstrong 

Graham

I'd go with that team too

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Evans had a terrible game, but he simply isn't match fit in my opinion. If he is match fit, then he's lost his way completely. The moment that sticks out for me is in the first half, when Bury countered down the wing. Over the space of about 10 yards, Evans lost about 3 yards on his man, and simply gave up.

I honestly don't know what he offers to the team anymore. Payne is an attacking midfielder, but offered so much more defensively. My worry with Payne is if he's just an impact sub. He has definitely had a couple of quiet games in the starting XI, but if Evans is the alternative...!

As for nobody on here wanting Evans on the lineup, check with @chaddyrovers on that one. ;) As for the rest of us, I think we saw the writing on the wall long ago.

Evans was simply aweful tonight. Payne must start

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

what about what? 

Bennett and Bell can play the wing roles. Bell played most of the season at Fleetwood

no I don't. we got the win at Portsmouth by using the system to win the game and to get the draw against Oldham. 

we will need both systems before end of the season

nothing wrong with bring on a right back to move Lenihan to centre back and Williams to left back instead of having 2 left footed centre backs. Mulgrew looked at the bench for Mowbray to change it. 

really? must have watched a different second half to me then 

So mulgrew is the assistant manager now is he? Also, most people watch a different game to you Chaddy, you'd be happy seeing fabio nunes and paulo jorge on the wings again to be fair. 

Great result got there in the end but wasting Dack deep and talent on the bench and yet another very poor first half is rightly going to bring questions.

He more or less admitted he keeps altering the system to get players on the park and here we are again asking why yet another manager seems more concerned with getting people minutes than going all out for results ????

Job done but if anything cocks this season right up it will the meddling around instead of a settled effective team along with defensive lapses although the two often seem to go hand in hand. I hope he doesn't now try and draw his way to promotion having reached the top but I fear he will.

He's a manager of two halves is our Tone I think when he goes out with the lads he starts on mild and sits in the corner on his own watching everyone having a good time before thinking sod it then hitting the Stella & bombs and dancing on the table !

Top of the league - GET IN :rover:

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure how we got away with that, the players seemed completely bewildered by the completely different tactics and formation employed by TM and it took took a moment of real quality from the MOM Dack to put one on a plate for Graham to turn things round. After Payne came on for Evans he also made a huge difference and it was relatively routine.

Only Dack and Payne came out with any credit tonight I thought, Evans, Williams and Bennet being particularly poor. That said it's hard to be too critical of the players when the manager makes the ludicrous decision to completely change the system and personnel with 14 games to go.

We have the makings of a well balanced side, no need to get too fancy, Raya Nyambe Bell Mulgrew Lenihan Smallwood Bennett Armstrong (Chapman when fit) Payne Dack Graham or a.n. othet main striker. However that said the next home game is the big one against Wigan so expect to see Bennet in goal, Evans at centre forward, Graham at left back and Dack at centre half as Tony continues his quest to convince us he is a tactical genius.

Can't believe I am agreeing with one of your posts rev but bang on about messing with formations at this stage of the season, it's utter madness. To many average players in this team to play it well and definitely not in this league.

My first view of Rovers live this season and due to a last minute technical f-up I missed all of the 1st half. Turns out I was lucky.

Anyway saw all the 2nd half and post match.

Great goal by the Dack and Graham combination plus Armstrong poaching thanks to a Bury assist.

That's about it.

Wretched poor poor football. Amazing inability by many of Rovers to control the ball on first touch or pass accurately even over short distances.

Dack was worth staying up for, he is quality and has a certain swagger. Payne more than useful.

I have no comment re formations. If Mowbray hasn't a clue wtf is going on then how the hell can I claim to.

We will get promoted in spite of him......as long as Dack, Mulgrew and Graham stay fit.

We're top but that was absolute garbage, yet again, however anyone wants to dress it up.

I'd love us to play a simple game with pace and conviction, with players playing in their natural positions and a formation that they're comfortable with and we can understand why.

Has to be a 4-3-2-1 from now on. Lenihan could even be given a go alongside Smallwood in the middle, he's played there in the past and not looked bad. Albeit he's more than capable at centre half and Bennett is solid enough in centre mid. Bennett as a right wing back though, NO. Bell clearly didn't look comfortable playing at wing back either. 4 at the back from here on in please TM. On to the next one. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

how is 3-5-2 formation a funky formation? 

Bennett, Bell, Williams, Mulgrew have played in 3 at the back in formation

You are always missing the point. It's either deliberate and you are winding up, or you really don't understand how the components of a 352 need to work. There's nothing wrong at all with the 352 formation for teams that have players who fit.

It needs 3 backs who can play....lenihan and Williams can't play they just hoof.....

The wide men need to be good at defending and attacking and have pace and lungs. Ours don't really have that.  So, already we are unbalanced and square pegs round holes before I even get onto the rest of them.

4 at back is our best bet and then sort the rest from there....Bennett in CM with RS ..and then chop and change the creatives.   It's easy

Just now, darrenrover said:

We're top but that was absolute garbage, yet again, however anyone wants to dress it up.

I'd love us to play a simple game with pace and conviction, with players playing in their natural positions and a formation that they're comfortable with and we can understand why.

Chaddy will dress it up cause Big Tony likes it.

Can't be doing with messers (fantasy football manager) when simple is best in this league.

Just now, funny-old-game said:

Chaddy will dress it up cause Big Tony likes it.

Can't be doing with messers (fantasy football manager) when simple is best in this league.

I'm not really interested in knocking Chaddy or anyone else for that matter.

It's all about opinions and differences of: mine is tonight was crap (again) but we got 3 points fortunately. Whatever formation Mowbray dreams up next, at least put square pegs in square holes. As things stand I'm half expecting to see Raya playing sweeper at The Bescott on Saturday.

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We drew v Oldham v a free kick from nowhere, and tactics that involved throwing the kitchen sink at them.

The formation had its perfect chance, home v 2nd bottom, and all of the problems its thrown up the past, slow, players unfamiliar with their positions, lack of attacking impetus, defenders (bar Mulgrew) incapable with the ball at their feet, eventually leading to aimless hoofs up the pitch, lack of fluidity, reared their ugly head, and when we returned to the 4-2-3-1 we showed more signs of the high intensity pass and move football that will leave us often outclassing League 1 opposition.

Lenihan and Williams are comfortable with ball. Mulgrew sometimes too casual with the ball for me but thats him. 

Notice you dont included the portsmouth game, why not?

3-5-2 is a good system to use. Only going to get better by playing it..

We played much better second when Dack got on the ball more, Payne looks quality but sometimes he annoys me with passing it with too much pace on the ball like when it a simple ball to Armstrong for 1 on 1 with keeper. 

12 minutes ago, AAK said:

So mulgrew is the assistant manager now is he? Also, most people watch a different game to you Chaddy, you'd be happy seeing fabio nunes and paulo jorge on the wings again to be fair. 

No but hes the captain of the team and important. 

Now you have restored to insults after that. Why i dont know. 

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You are always missing the point. It's either deliberate and you are winding up, or you really don't understand how the components of a 352 need to work. There's nothing wrong at all with the 352 formation for teams that have players who fit.

It needs 3 backs who can play....lenihan and Williams can't play they just hoof.....

The wide men need to be good at defending and attacking and have pace and lungs. Ours don't really have that.  So, already we are unbalanced and square pegs round holes before I even get onto the rest of them.

4 at back is our best bet and then sort the rest from there....Bennett in CM with RS ..and then chop and change the creatives.   It's easy

I understand the 3-5-2 formation fine thanks so stop with the insults and my knowledge. 

Lenihan and Williams can both play with the ball. 

Bennett doesnt have the lungs or pace? Really?

Bell has played wing back role all season for Fleetwood

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I understand the 3-5-2 formation fine thanks so stop with the insults and my knowledge. 

Lenihan and Williams can both play with the ball. 

Bennett doesnt have the lungs or pace? Really?

Bell has played wing back role all season for Fleetwood

Bennett isn't particularly fast. He looks a lot more comfortable centrally than out wide. I don't like the 3-5-2 formation but if you're going to play it at least have players and a style that fit it, we don't have it. When we first hit our good run of form this season it was in a 4-3-2-1 so why change that? Why change a winning formation for one which for me, is not suitable. 

Just now, pjt said:

Evans played well for half a dozen games or so when he played alongside Tom Cairney when they both came to the club. After that honeymoon period he has never had a decent game. If he (and numerous others) had have been employed like most of us they would have been sacked long since.

Just now, Butty said:

Bennett isn't particularly fast. He looks a lot more comfortable centrally than out wide. I don't like the 3-5-2 formation but if you're going to play it at least have players and a style that fit it, we don't have it. When we first hit our good run of form this season it was in a 4-3-2-1 so why change that? Why change a winning formation for one which for me, is not suitable. 

We have to agree to disagree wont we. 

Think Bennett is fine out wide or centre. He knows the wing back role after playing in number of games for Bristol City. 

We changed to it against Oldham and Portsmouth and draw one and won one. Funny that people dont mention these. 

Surely you need plan B and 3-5-2 should be it. It allows us two formations during a game to play which players are happy and familiar with. 

Pleased with the result and from now until May 3 points is what matters. I do think we are picking up points through the quality of players at are disposal rather than the tactics of the gaffer. At this stage of the season we really should have our own identity. When we won the premiership we had an identity regardless of who we played whether it was united or Oldham, home or away. When we got promoted last time we had an identity, a style of play that suited the players .  we had something tinkerman Tony has failed to establish and only for the massive gap in the quality of players he has managed to get away with playing players out of position in random formations that get changed on the 60th minute of every game regardless of what is happening on the pitch. Surly at this stage of the season we should have a settled 11 playing to our strengths, in the right positions regardless of who the opposition is. I feel he may get away with it this season but he will quickly get found out in the championship against far better organised teams with superior players virtually every week. Wigan and Shrewsbury have a style of play that suited them. Two completely contrasting styles that ultimately work for them. It's time for Blackburn rovers to get it's identity back. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have to agree to disagree wont we. 

Think Bennett is fine out wide or centre. He knows the wing back role after playing in number of games for Bristol City. 

We changed to it against Oldham and Portsmouth and draw one and won one. Funny that people dont mention these. 

Surely you need plan B and 3-5-2 should be it. It allows us two formations during a game to play which players are happy and familiar with. 

So lets go 3-5-2 then chaddy. Who would you play where and why? For the record I think it's a great system if you've got the players who are all versatile enough, fit and intelligent enough to play it.

Out of interest, do you not think both Bennett and Bell looked like fish out of water?

Just now, darrenrover said:

So lets go 3-5-2 then chaddy. Who would you play where and why? For the record I think it's a great system if you've got the players who are all versatile enough, fit and intelligent enough to play it.

Havent I put my line up on here before. I stick to that team..

3-5-2 is a good system in the right games and plan B when we arent playing well or losing. 4-2-3-1 is good also. We have 2 systems we can used. Thats a massive bonus for me. How would I line up for Walsall game? Unsure for me. Payne played his way into the team after his performance tonight. Dont want Armstrong playing wide. So its either him or Armstrong up front. 

Archived