BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Evans is a no from me, Bury at home we don't want Smallwood and Evans in the middle.

May be tempted to play Payne in the hole and Dack deeper with Smallwood and swap them if it doesn't work.

Annoyed this is a Monday game as I've got an early start the day after but it could work in our favour. With Wigan not playing we know any result takes us into the top two for the time being and if Shrews fail to win we can go top! 

• Paul pinned this topic
10 hours ago, Tom said:

With Wigan not playing we know any result takes us into the top two for the time being 

Any result?  Not if we lose.

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Raya

Bennett  Williams  Lenihan  Bell

Smallwood   Mulgrew

Dack

Samuel    Graham   Armstrong

And up and at 'em from the off!

Payne for Samuel. No Payne, no gain.

I can see 2 sides of it with Samuel as being shunted about doesn't do him any favours he's pretty useless on the wing and he knows he's second fiddle to Graham so when he gets in he'll be out again. I think TM does this sometimes for a couple of reasons - trying to justify signing him and get the player himself mins where possible to try and keep him interested.

He's between the devil and the deep blue at the min but with more options now available if he doesn't put the effort in in a team were most do match in match out he won't do himself any favours. No excuse for being idle unless your a Rhodes type who has that finding space, finishing knack but even then he didn't have the physical attributes Samuel does. He should be trying to cement himself as the target man up front as that's what we need in some games but he'll find himself further down the pecking order when everyone is fit again, or at least he should do unless he ups his game.

Lot of twists to come yet so he can still end the season as a hero if he applies himself right.

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

I can see 2 sides of it with Samuel as being shunted about doesn't do him any favours he's pretty useless on the wing and he knows he's second fiddle to Graham so when he gets in he'll be out again. I think TM does this sometimes for a couple of reasons - trying to justify signing him and get the player himself mins where possible to try and keep him interested.

He's between the devil and the deep blue at the min but with more options now available if he doesn't put the effort in in a team were most do match in match out he won't do himself any favours. No excuse for being idle unless your a Rhodes type who has that finding space, finishing knack but even then he didn't have the physical attributes Samuel does. He should be trying to cement himself as the target man up front as that's what we need in some games but he'll find himself further down the pecking order when everyone is fit again, or at least he should do unless he ups his game.

Lot of twists to come yet so he can still end the season as a hero if he applies himself right.

He should just score goals, that will make everyone happy and solve everything. :) 

This is another one of them games which will be 11 men behind the ball and copious amounts of time wasting. Cant see Bury taking the game to Rovers so no need for a cautious approach. We cannot afford to give away silly set pieces and goals from crosses like the Northampton and Oldham games. 

Raya

Nyambe (if fit) Lenihan Mulgrew

Smallwood 

Bennett       Dack    Payne              Bell

Armstrong Graham

Just now, benhben said:

This is another one of them games which will be 11 men behind the ball and copious amounts of time wasting. Cant see Bury taking the game to Rover this no need to a cautious approach. We cannot afford to give away silly set pieces and goals from crosses like the Northampton and Oldham games. 

Raya

Smallwood 

Bennett

Surely we should play 11 players? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He should just score goals, that will make everyone happy and solve everything. :) 

That's his job yeah and he'd get away with lurking about looking sulky if he gobbled up the odd chances but I don't think he's that much of a finisher anyway to be honest that's why they should be trying to make him into a physical target man.

Just now, tomphil said:

That's his job yeah and he'd get away with lurking about looking sulky if he gobbled up the odd chances but I don't think he's that much of a finisher anyway to be honest that's why they should be trying to make him into a physical target man.

The first time I saw him play in the flesh I thought he was a handy player, relatively quick and strong, unfortunately I could also see he isn't what I'd call a natural finisher as in the Armstrong mode. He's more in the Jason Roberts mould.  He's the sort of player that will take 1 chance in 4 or 5 good opportunities. The Armstrongs of this world will get 1 in 2.

With that in mind if you're that sort of player your work rate has to be top notch to make up for your other failings. So far that penny hasn't dropped with him.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, benhben said:

This is another one of them games which will be 11 men behind the ball and copious amounts of time wasting. Cant see Bury taking the game to Rovers so no need for a cautious approach. We cannot afford to give away silly set pieces and goals from crosses like the Northampton and Oldham games. 

Raya

Smallwood 

Bennett       Dack    Payne              Bell

Armstrong Graham

Sick of referees not dealing with time wasting, they warn the keeper again and again usually, book them when they first do it and they'll stop!

At least in the Oldham game the ref added on 3 years at the end of the game.

On 15 February 2018 at 10:51, Tom said:

Evans is a no from me, Bury at home we don't want Smallwood and Evans in the middle.

May be tempted to play Payne in the hole and Dack deeper with Smallwood and swap them if it doesn't work.

Annoyed this is a Monday game as I've got an early start the day after but it could work in our favour. With Wigan not playing we know any result takes us into the top two for the time being and if Shrews fail to win we can go top! 

I don't think Dack has the tools to play the deep midfield role. He's more of a ball carrier than a passing player. Most of the time he only passes when he's run out of dribbling/shooting options. I'm not knocking him, he's been great for us, but he's not the next Tugay or even the next Eyal Berkovic.

Good shout, Dack weirdly reminds me a little bit of Dunny in that he's short, quite stocky and not particularly quick yet seems to be able to dribble past players for fun. I don' t think Dack has the range of passing or field of vision to spray the ball around from deep, of the two dinky playmakers I'd say Payne is better suited to that role.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I saw him play in the flesh I thought he was a handy player, relatively quick and strong, unfortunately I could also see he isn't what I'd call a natural finisher as in the Armstrong mode. He's more in the Jason Roberts mould.  He's the sort of player that will take 1 chance in 4 or 5 good opportunities. The Armstrongs of this world will get 1 in 2.

With that in mind if you're that sort of player your work rate has to be top notch to make up for your other failings. So far that penny hasn't dropped with him.

Exactly and he does bare the look of someone who thinks he should be no 1 striker a bit like good old Jason who always wore a look of being pissed off but he did usually bust a gut when called on.

All about levels though I suppose but if this lad worked as hard as the much maligned Chris Browns of this world he might do ok.

Hard work and graft should be a given. Anyone not giving that need moving on out the club. You dont get to far with types like that unless they have world class other qualities.

Unfortunaley world class instagram qualities dont count

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We simply can't afford to blow home games like these....we expect a performance and win.

2-0

The players will all be aware that they are live on TV so this should be one of the best performances of the season.

Providing Mowbray isn't living in fear of the mighty Bury, Rovers should batter them. 

A good home win.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Thing is, I don't think he can play the target man role either. The Pompey defenders won't have an easier ride with an opposition striker for the rest of the season. I can't recall one header he won and he certainly didn't put himself about. Dack won more than him in the air and put himself about much more and he must be half a foot shorter!

Onto Monday. It's a game where notoriously we'd struggle but we need to be putting sides like this to the sword if we're serious about taking one of the automatic spots. If we get an early goal I can see it being relatively comfortable.

Archived