BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I liked Bowyer, he was also dour. He also had an £8m forward at his disposal. I believe if we had had Mowbray with that squad at that time he'd have got us into the play-offs. 

Mowbray was manager of Middlesbrough for 3 years and didn't get them into the play-offs. He left them in a similar state to what Bowyer left us in, hovering just outside the relegation zone. He had the advantage of one of the best chairmen around in Steve Gibson, a very stable club and a fanbase that loved him.

Why do you think he would have got us into the play-offs having failed 3 times to do so with Boro?

Bowyer didn't sign Rhodes and I believe he would have sold him had he been able to spend the proceeds.

I'm not on here to bash Mowbray. Nobody wants him to succeed more than me. I'll be very pleased indeed if he takes us up, keeps us up and remains manager for a long time to come. But I think some people are getting way ahead of themselves with the love-in. At present automatic promotion is touch and go and that's all that matters here, not peripheral stuff like talking a good game, attractive signings and the rest of it.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JHRover said:

Mowbray was manager of Middlesbrough for 3 years and didn't get them into the play-offs. He left them in a similar state to what Bowyer left us in, hovering just outside the relegation zone. He had the advantage of one of the best chairmen around in Steve Gibson, a very stable club and a fanbase that loved him.

Why do you think he would have got us into the play-offs having failed 3 times to do so with Boro?

Bowyer didn't sign Rhodes and I believe he would have sold him had he been able to spend the proceeds.

I'm not on here to bash Mowbray. Nobody wants him to succeed more than me. I'll be very pleased indeed if he takes us up, keeps us up and remains manager for a long time to come. But I think some people are getting way ahead of themselves with the love-in. At present automatic promotion is touch and go and that's all that matters here, not peripheral stuff like talking a good game, attractive signings and the rest of it.

The first season he took them over they were in the relegation zone. The second season he got them to 7th. The third season he only lasted til October. So in his only full season he narrowly missed out on the play-offs. 

Just now, JHRover said:

I think with Rhodes and Gestede an experienced manager at that level would have got us play-off's, not just TM. I think Gaz bottled it at times when he should have been more positive, perhaps that can be levelled at TM as well to be fair. 

Fair point, I don't want to blindly support Mowbray as he does have his faults, however I feel he get's harshly dealt with on here as a whole. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

We are 'more arrogant' according to 'little old Shrewsbury' it seems for expecting to beat second-bottom Bury.

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/96758/more-arrogance

The irony from the OP is a joy to behold considering just a couple of threads down in their forum - there is a thread where they are blaming the referee for their defeat against Rotherham.

If you check the arsenal  by sea vs shrewbury some on their saying  they gonna beat rotherham easily they a small club lol yet they cry when others talk of them as the same a few of them are becoming very cocky they forget they have been very lucky this season getting wins they didt deserve 

their is about 10+ different post on their site just about us they have become obsessed with us :)

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The first season he took them over they were in the relegation zone. The second season he got them to 7th. The third season he only lasted til October. So in his only full season he narrowly missed out on the play-offs. 

Nearly correct. His first season (2010-2011) they were in the relegation zone and he kept them up. His second season (2011-2012) they finished 7th. His third season (2012-13) they finished 16th (1 point above us). His fourth season (2013-14) he was sacked in October when they had won 1 league game all season.

• Backroom

I really don't think Mowbray gets any OTT criticism on here. Certainly no more than on any other football forum with their respective managers. 

The problem is that the extremely negative posters (of which there are about three or four) get highlighted and then considered the norm, leading to "this forum" and "our fans" all having the same extreme opinions even though most of the criticism towards Mowbray is both justified and fair.

Having a balanced view is not a crime. The world is far from black and white and most posters on here inhibit various shades of grey. I see people giving Mowbray praise and criticism in equal measure, although if you're only looking for one of those then that is all you will find. 

With all of that said, I'm going for a 3-1 Rovers win tonight. I'd never bet on us keeping a clean sheet but we should have enough to beat Bury and put some real pressure on Wigan and Shrewsbury. 

6 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Bury have not lost in the last 5 or 6 and had some good wins recently. 

New manager also? 

Going to be a tough game, they are scrapping for their life! 

They sure are and they have nothing to lose tonight. We need to blow them away asap and destroy their confidence, for the love of God I hope they don't score first. 

• Backroom

Excited tonight with a hint of nerves, really think we will get a big win but it would be typical of Rovers to limp to a draw.

Positive line up and get at them from the start, an early goal would put any nerves to bed.

Come on Rovers lets go top!

Heh, I see folks here are getting ready for the match night by flexing tongues and slashing/thrusting those words forward while our dear manager has been given more or less the role of pinata.

As for the game, nothing but win will do.

As for the starting lineup, I'd like to see Armstrong pairing up wth Danny as a striker. I'd like to see him score again.

As for the evening in general, after the match, I'd like to get on the scoresheet myself with the missus.

Otherwise everything goes.

COYB!

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

Excited tonight with a hint of nerves, really think we will get a big win but it would be typical of Rovers to limp to a draw.

Positive line up and get at them from the start, an early goal would put any nerves to bed.

Come on Rovers lets go top!

Given our home form, their recent upturn & how much we dominated at their place, I think starting on the front foot and hopefully an early-ish goal could easily be the difference between a big winning margin and not winning the game.

52 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Frigid? Are you, how open and honest, sorry to hear that.

Are you a woman? I ask as I have never heard of a frigid man.

It's certainly not possible for a man to be such where I live. <_<

Wonderfully gay undertones here. 

4-1 win tonight, Armstrong hattrick the handsome devil 

Bury fans seem confident of getting something tonight. (Edit: not part of the above innuendo)

Couple of ex-Rovers players likely to be in their lineup - Neil Danns and Connor Ripley (youth player at one point?).

I've seen some fans say "I expect a big win" so many times this season, only for Rovers to disappoint on that front. Let's hope tonight is an exception. COYB! :rover:

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Given our home form, their recent upturn & how much we dominated at their place, I think starting on the front foot and hopefully an early-ish goal could easily be the difference between a big winning margin and not winning the game.

Exactly that, I remember in both the Doncaster and Wimbledon losses we had a decent chance after 5 minutes or so, if that goes in the game opens up and I think we get a few more, concede first and we are back to the Northampton, Wimbledon, Doncaster and Oldham games where they stick 92 men behind the ball and take 6 months to take a goal kick with the odd break in play for the referee to slowly walk across the pitch, speak to the player for 7 minutes then walk away without carding them.

Not scoring early can really make home games troublesome

5 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I suspect at least 67% of you (personally) would be happy that Mowbray had been sacked. 

Mowbray's only negative in my mind is that he tries to fight his dourness rather than fully accepting it. You can't fight dour.

He's got the team winning more than they are losing for the first time since Venky's weasled into town and for that I will always love him in a non sexual way. Ok a bit sexual. 

Image result for tony mowbray football   

Hello Sailor! He is a bit dreamy.

You are 84% wrong in your assertion that I'd be happy if he was sacked.

2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I think Gaz bottled it at times when he should have been more positive, perhaps that can be levelled at TM as well to be fair. 

Fair point, I don't want to blindly support Mowbray as he does have his faults, however I feel he get's harshly dealt with on here as a whole. 

The narrative changed quickly. You got upset at me pointing out this very thing this very morning.

Archived