BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

I’m not sure any formation would’ve worked tonight with Evans and Smallwood in it, both were dreadful I thought. What with Williams ignoring Bell, it was hard for him to make an impression too. Too many players comfortable giving to the bloke next to them and not advance the play, which is what Dack and Payne bring.

Still, 2-0, top by three points and Wigan fixture pile up continuing is as good an outcome as we could’ve hoped for,

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

The guys is far to good for this league - if we want to keep him, we better get up.

He's still going to get suitors from the Championship if we get promoted - be under no illusion! Let's hope we keep hold of him, and keep him happy.

• Backroom

Would have preferred a Wigan draw they will be bouncing now but fair play to them.

Hope we play them at Ewood before their next cup game and let Bennett loose on them!

edit just checked and we play them a couple of weeks before 

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Well and wins a win, but boy did Mowbray make hard work of that. Obviously delighted with the 3 points and being top of the pile, but it’s very frustrating to see us play so well once the formation and change of personnel happened. If we’d set up like that it would have been game over before half time. 

Payne must start, as a minimum, every home game, while Dack needs wrapping in cotton wool as he’ll be the difference in us playing either League One or Championship football next season. He’s a class above and then some.

Just stop over thinking Tony. You really aren’t as clever as you think you are. Let’s take the 3 points and move on.

In all things you have to consider the score line - more room for Payne when Bury were chasing - would he have been as effective without the additional space ?

Evans was a big disappointment tonight - as was Bennett as a wing back.

I actually thought we started promisingly with three at the back - just let down by Evans and to a lesser extent Smallwood.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m not sure any formation would’ve worked tonight with Evans and Smallwood in it, both were dreadful I thought. What with Williams ignoring Bell, it was hard for him to make an impression too. Too many players comfortable giving to the bloke next to them and not advance the play, which is what Dack and Payne bring.

Still, 2-0, top by three points and Wigan fixture pile up continuing is as good an outcome as we could’ve hoped for,

Would Gillingham winning at Shrewsbury tomorrow night be a bit greedy ?

Don’t know how we managed to win that, we certainly didn’t play like winners until we got the fortuitous second.

But it’s mission accomplished, three points and we are now asking questions of the teams around us. It’s going to be like this for a good few games yet.

One thing is for sure, we don’t have the players to play with three at the back and wing backs. The fact that Mowbray played at least two different formations and three different defensive line ups in one half told its own story.

We have to play better than we did tonight but we are top for 24 hours.

• Backroom

I really thought Evans would be an asset to us this season when fit, but what a disappointment he's been. A total non-entity and a player that we definitely need to move on if at all possible. He brings very little to the party. It felt like Smallwood suffered by being put beside him today, although in truth Richie hasn't been the same ever since the threat of suspension started looming.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Hope we play them at Ewood before their next cup game and let Bennett loose on them!

I think their FA Cup Quarter is scheduled for 17th March. We play them on 4th March.

Not sure how we got away with that, the players seemed completely bewildered by the completely different tactics and formation employed by TM and it took took a moment of real quality from the MOM Dack to put one on a plate for Graham to turn things round. After Payne came on for Evans he also made a huge difference and it was relatively routine.

Only Dack and Payne came out with any credit tonight I thought, Evans, Williams and Bennet being particularly poor. That said it's hard to be too critical of the players when the manager makes the ludicrous decision to completely change the system and personnel with 14 games to go.

We have the makings of a well balanced side, no need to get too fancy, Raya Nyambe Bell Mulgrew Lenihan Smallwood Bennett Armstrong (Chapman when fit) Payne Dack Graham or a.n. othet main striker. However that said the next home game is the big one against Wigan so expect to see Bennet in goal, Evans at centre forward, Graham at left back and Dack at centre half as Tony continues his quest to convince us he is a tactical genius.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

In all things you have to consider the score line - more room for Payne when Bury were chasing - would he have been as effective without the additional space ?

Evans was a big disappointment tonight - as was Bennett as a wing back.

I actually thought we started promisingly with three at the back - just let down by Evans and to a lesser extent Smallwood.

I agree DMTP.

Evans for Payne but everything else the same on Saturday will see us through. Two strikers up top with Dack opens him up, that’s easily Bradley’s best performance in a few months, if not all season - and the space contributes.

Bury certainly don’t look like relegation certs, or the team we played at Gigg lane. I felt they deserve some credit but we didn’t work hard enough in the first half. 

Smallwood had a bit of a poor game but I think he benefits from a better performer next to him, Evans was absolutely woeful.

7 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

He's still going to get suitors from the Championship if we get promoted - be under no illusion! Let's hope we keep hold of him, and keep him happy.

Oh I know that! But we have a dmaned better chance of keeping him if we up there. Unless of course a mega bucks offer comes in and Balaji wants another boob job.

Just now, Biz said:

I agree DMTP.

Evans for Payne but everything else the same on Saturday will see us through. Two strikers up top with Dack opens him up, that’s easily Bradley’s best performance in a few months, if not all season - and the space contributes.

Bury certainly don’t look like relegation certs, or the team we played at Gigg lane. I felt they deserve some credit but we didn’t work hard enough in the first half. 

Smallwood had a bit of a poor game but I think he benefits from a better performer next to him, Evans was absolutely woeful.

None of the bottom sides ever look like relegation certs against us---that's the problem.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Don’t know how we managed to win that, we certainly didn’t play like winners until we got the fortuitous second.

But it’s mission accomplished, three points and we are now asking questions of the teams around us. It’s going to be like this for a good few games yet.

One thing is for sure, we don’t have the players to play with three at the back and wing backs. The fact that Mowbray played at least two different formations and three different defensive line ups in one half told its own story.

We have to play better than we did tonight but we are top for 24 hours.

3-5-2 has worked in the past couple of games when he  changed it to that against Pompey and Oldham.

But I do think we should stick with 4-2-3-1 from now on.We need Payne and Dack starting.

Not a great performance but three crucial points.

I thought that Evans was very poor.  Kept giving the ball away and then did not track runners when Bury got forward.  Smallwood was also not much better.

Dack was superb and Payne a very positive impact when he came on.

Just have to keep winning games and keep the pressure on the other teams.  

Archived