BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

In all things you have to consider the score line - more room for Payne when Bury were chasing - would he have been as effective without the additional space ?

Evans was a big disappointment tonight - as was Bennett as a wing back.

I actually thought we started promisingly with three at the back - just let down by Evans and to a lesser extent Smallwood.

Evans was his usual dreadful self , I never want to see him play again ! 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

"I was a bit frustrated that we weren’t as fluent as we can be...but ultimately we got the job done."

TM on Bury win, being top of the table and Bradley Dack: https://t.co/6DwafoD2O9 https://t.co/B062u9ExyS

What about your 352 Chaddy? Will you admit Bennett isn't a wing back and Bell isn't either?  We looked poor until the switch

36 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Ill sum it up for you - without Dack we are Cack 

Football and perception is so strange because I thought apart from the last quarter of an hour, Dack was quite poor today. Overplayed it a lot, lost the ball a fair few times and didn't switch on properly until well into the match.  He bossed it towards the end though.

Really poor performance, first half as bad as ive seen all season, that said, clean sheet and all we care about is getting 3 points at this point so cant grumble too much.

@chaddyrovers surely you agree that we need to abandon the 3 at the back nonsense at least this season? Just didnt work at all, slow, boring, pedestrian, players looking unfamiliar in their roles, defensive players bar Mulgrew uncomfortable playing from the back, not the pressing, aggressive, fast paced football that makes us dangerous.

Not great in the second but players looked more familiar with the way we were playing, Payne was a bright spark, Antonsson provided balance but incredibly rusty. Lenihan had a really poor first half, second half was more about basic defending, hes not a ball playing centre back. Only bit of quality all night was between Dack and Graham for the first goal.

Even the basics were embarrassing, them short corners were absolutely awful, they were doing it for the sakes, and Bennett taking throw ins across the face of his own penalty box straight to a Bury player.

Bury definitely going down., abject and devoid of quality, if they had any they would have taken advantage of that first half display.

39 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Good result but not convincing for large parts. Derrick Williams is an absolute liability and it is ludicrous he has played 50 consecutive games. Dack played fantastic in front of the cameras and Payne needs to play from the start.

Been saying this for past year. 

42 minutes ago, islander200 said:

3-5-2 has worked in the past couple of games when he  changed it to that against Pompey and Oldham.

But I do think we should stick with 4-2-3-1 from now on.We need Payne and Dack starting.

“Worked” is a bit strong.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

"I was a bit frustrated that we weren’t as fluent as we can be...but ultimately we got the job done."

TM on Bury win, being top of the table and Bradley Dack: https://t.co/6DwafoD2O9 https://t.co/B062u9ExyS

What does he expect when he brings on a defender when 2-0 up at home to bottom of the league, feckin ludicrous. 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

What about your 352 Chaddy? Will you admit Bennett isn't a wing back and Bell isn't either?  We looked poor until the switch

We looked poor the whole 94 minutes. 

We're top of the league but I can't say I was particularly convinced by either 352 or 4231.

Dack superb, Payne very good, everyone else okay, except Evans who was atrocious.

We need to find a way to get Payne and Dack to work together, which will be tricky as they both like to roam. 

Still don't think we've nailed our best team or formation. I think we suffer from not having a decent passer in central midfield. We're shoe horning players in there like Bennett.

very pleased to get the win tonight, 3 points and be top of league

we didn't reach the highs we can performances wise but I will take any win and that's all that matters in the league. 

Felt the 3-5-2 didn't work aswell as it could have done. Bennett and Bell far too deep and Armstrong too deeper aswell. 

Williams, Mulgrew and Lenihan did well as a 3 at the back. 

second half Dack's pass to Graham was class and Graham scores a good header. Armstrong deserves loads of credit for not giving up and playing to the whistle. 

after the second goal Rovers pin Bury back into the own half and should have scored a couple more. If only Payne could have played the pass with less pace to Armstrong and Dack/Payne with other chances. 

Fair played to Mowbray for change his system and bring on Payne and Antonsson. 

very pleased we have 2 systems now that's we can played and going forward it will be bonus like on Tuesday we win the game cos we change system and play 2 up front and then tonight we started 3-5-2 and then after 1 goal we switch system to give us more attacking threat in the game. Like Mowbray said in his pre match conference the players know both systems and it has been worked on in training since start of the season. some people will write the 3-5-2 formation off but I wont

6 minutes ago, AAK said:

What does he expect when he brings on a defender when 2-0 up at home to bottom of the league, feckin ludicrous. 

I think he's as baffled as us as to what the best formation and players combo is so brought on Nyambe to go 4231 for a bit to see if we improved.

Think he's experimenting until something clicks.

I think this will continue for a while. Issue is he has a lot of good players for this level, but not a particularly balanced set (for example good attacking mids, but few wingers) so the temptation is to keep swapping the square pegs around in different configurations.

Raya 

Bell Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Bennett

Payne.    Dack.     Armstrong    

Graham 

That’s the starting line up for every game now, it’s easy this manager lark  

I noticed Armstrong thumping the badge when he scored, looks like he’s enjoying it here  

Just play 4 at the back. These players are lower division players, they have played with 2 centre backs and 2 full backs in almost every game they have played in their careers. Mess with that and you end up with half the team playing out of position and no one knowing what their jobs are. If we mess up promotion because the manager wants to try funky formations he should be shot at dawn.,

Keep it simple Mowbray ffs, in this league you don’t need rocket science to win games.

Surely Mowbray (and Chaddy) have to give up this pipe-dream of 3-5-2 it never works!

We ended up with 7 men behind the ball marking space for most of the first half.

As soon as we went to 442 everyone knew where the teammates were and our play looked much more balanced.

I can't understand why Mowbray picked Evans, not one person on here would have chosen him. Clearly below par and has been poor as long as we can remember. Hope he is dropped now.

Quality of the squad getting Mowbray out of jail again.

19 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

what about what? 

Bennett and Bell can play the wing roles. Bell played most of the season at Fleetwood

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Really poor performance, first half as bad as ive seen all season, that said, clean sheet and all we care about is getting 3 points at this point so cant grumble too much.

@chaddyrovers surely you agree that we need to abandon the 3 at the back nonsense at least this season? Just didnt work at all, slow, boring, pedestrian, players looking unfamiliar in their roles, defensive players bar Mulgrew uncomfortable playing from the back, not the pressing, aggressive, fast paced football that makes us dangerous.

no I don't. we got the win at Portsmouth by using the system to win the game and to get the draw against Oldham. 

we will need both systems before end of the season

13 minutes ago, AAK said:

nothing wrong with bring on a right back to move Lenihan to centre back and Williams to left back instead of having 2 left footed centre backs. Mulgrew looked at the bench for Mowbray to change it. 

11 minutes ago, AAK said:

We looked poor the whole 94 minutes. 

really? must have watched a different second half to me then 

2 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Surely Mowbray (and Chaddy) have to give up this pipe-dream of 3-5-2 it never works!

We ended up with 7 men behind the ball marking space for most of the first half.

As soon as we went to 442 everyone knew where the teammates were and our play looked much more balanced.

I can't understand why Mowbray picked Evans, not one person on here would have chosen him. Clearly below par and has been poor as long as we can remember. Hope he is dropped now.

went 4-4-2 really? went 4-2-3-1 at 1 nil with Payne, Dack and Antonsson behind Armstrong

I would imagine Evans was picked cos Travis was suspended

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

what about what? 

Bennett and Bell can play the wing roles. Bell played most of the season at Fleetwood

no I don't. we got the win at Portsmouth by using the system to win the game and to get the draw against Oldham. 

we will need both systems before end of the season

nothing wrong with bring on a right back to move Lenihan to centre back and Williams to left back instead of having 2 left footed centre backs. Mulgrew looked at the bench for Mowbray to change it. 

really? must have watched a different second half to me then 

We drew v Oldham v a free kick from nowhere, and tactics that involved throwing the kitchen sink at them.

The formation had its perfect chance, home v 2nd bottom, and all of the problems its thrown up the past, slow, players unfamiliar with their positions, lack of attacking impetus, defenders (bar Mulgrew) incapable with the ball at their feet, eventually leading to aimless hoofs up the pitch, lack of fluidity, reared their ugly head, and when we returned to the 4-2-3-1 we showed more signs of the high intensity pass and move football that will leave us often outclassing League 1 opposition.

1 minute ago, OJRovers said:

Possibly why he assembled it.

There’s no doubt we now have more quality on the bench than other teams, no matter who starts.

Personally, I’d go 4-2-3-1 with the players who finished but it’s one of Graham/Armstrong as the 1. Graham IMO. He helped create what was a footballer’s goal whereas Armstrong is a poacher. Antonsson is limited out left but he gives width and, as we have seen, isn’t too bad a finisher.

11 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Raya 

Smallwood Bennett

Graham 

I noticed Armstrong thumping the badge when he scored, looks like he’s enjoying it here  

Bell at right back? 

I noticed that aswell, Armstrong looks like he is enjoying it here and I hope in his loan deal there is an option to buy him at the end of the season if we go up

10 minutes ago, McClarky said:

Just play 4 at the back. These players are lower division players, they have played with 2 centre backs and 2 full backs in almost every game they have played in their careers. Mess with that and you end up with half the team playing out of position and no one knowing what their jobs are. If we mess up promotion because the manager wants to try funky formations he should be shot at dawn.,

Keep it simple Mowbray ffs, in this league you don’t need rocket science to win games.

how is 3-5-2 formation a funky formation? 

Bennett, Bell, Williams, Mulgrew have played in 3 at the back in formation

13 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Raya 

Smallwood Bennett

Graham 

Playing Bell  a left footer at right back?

Archived