BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Havent I put my line up on here before. I stick to that team..

3-5-2 is a good system in the right games and plan B when we arent playing well or losing. 4-2-3-1 is good also. We have 2 systems we can used. Thats a massive bonus for me. How would I line up for Walsall game? Unsure for me. Payne played his way into the team after his performance tonight. Dont want Armstrong playing wide. So its either him or Armstrong up front. 

I know Dack got MOM tonight?????? but do you not think he's been poor by the standards he'd previously set by Mowbray's buggering about with the line up since he signed Bell and won't drop Williams? He's playing too deep to be effective and is much better as a '10' as part of the 3 behind the central striker in a 4-2-3-1. With 4 at the back Mulgrew can afford to be more influential with 2 defensive midfielders sat in front of him. In addition with 4 at the back our fullbacks have more licence (Bell and Nyambe?) to get forward in support of the attack etc. etc. Our 3 at the back effectively becomes 7 at the back and that's why we're so impotent.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thought the game was a bit flat tonight -as was the atmosphere.  3 5 2 does not work for me.  Bennett is way better in midfield than out wide.  Payne, Dack and Armstrong should all start.  Strange decision to take off Graham.  Antonsson cameo was a reminder of his lack of ability.  Armstrong looks a real threat at this level though - just need Chapman back now.   Smallwood needs to get his booking out the way and sit one out- cone back fresh.   Cory Evans take a bow. Shocking performance by an 'international' player.  

Glad to get the points but we can do much better.

Team that should start every week should be:

Raya

Nyambe.   Lennihan.  Mulgrew.    Bell

Smallwood.       Bennett

Payne.    Dack.        Armstrong 

Graham

Edit: hadn't seen the earlier post with same lineup.  It really is clear cut lol

Completely agree with that formation and players selected. This is our best team by a mile.

The win is all that matters at this stage of the season.

playing crap whilst winning sends out the right message. Although the first half was pi&& poor I will take the two goals, 3 points and the clean sheet. Momentum takes us forward to Walsall.

Bury are fighting for their lives and Rivers can only beat what’s in front of them.

2 huge games now. 3 points on Saturday sets The wigon game up nicely. If Rovers are still ahead on points and beat them then it’s a massive swing to us and a hell of a lot more pressure on them.

We move on. 9 more wins required.

3-5-2 didn't looked like it worked to me,  how much that was to do with the formation vs Evans being on over Payne I don't know. If Payne doesn't get a start in the next game I'm not sure what he has to do. 

Bradley Dack is a lovely man. 

Got the win we needed but wasn't pretty, hopefully Wigan will get distracted by Southampton and Shrewsshire Argyle or whatever they are called realise their place in the pyramid. 

• J*B unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bell at right back? 

I noticed that aswell, Armstrong looks like he is enjoying it here and I hope in his loan deal there is an option to buy him at the end of the season if we go up

how is 3-5-2 formation a funky formation? 

Bennett, Bell, Williams, Mulgrew have played in 3 at the back in formation

Because it’s strange to the players. They’ve probably played a handful of games against 10-15 years in a 4, and it shows.  

Can we please all make this about the team and ittactics rather than about an inter board sniping contest.

Thank heavens Bury were too poor to take the three points we offered them on a plate- just seen recording of the game.

We must have a fantastic squad to have gone top of the league and nobody has any idea what our best XI and starting formation is!

9 hours ago, DE. said:

I really thought Evans would be an asset to us this season when fit, but what a disappointment he's been. A total non-entity and a player that we definitely need to move on if at all possible. He brings very little to the party. It felt like Smallwood suffered by being put beside him today, although in truth Richie hasn't been the same ever since the threat of suspension started looming.

Apart from Dack, 4 of our midfield starters were awful. Bell cant play that position and has no idea what runs to make.

Not one for now and we should at least enjoy sitting top but I watched us last night and thought how badly that lot would struggle in the championship.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan and Williams are comfortable with ball. Mulgrew sometimes too casual with the ball for me but thats him. 

Notice you dont included the portsmouth game, why not?

3-5-2 is a good system to use. Only going to get better by playing it..

We played much better second when Dack got on the ball more, Payne looks quality but sometimes he annoys me with passing it with too much pace on the ball like when it a simple ball to Armstrong for 1 on 1 with keeper. 

No but hes the captain of the team and important. 

Now you have restored to insults after that. Why i dont know. 

Chaddy.  Williams is terrible with the ball and we lack width higher up the pitch with wing backs -so struggle to create.  It doesn't work at home.  

Away, it may make us tighter at the back so could work on occasions although not if we are chasing a game.  

I like watching teams that play with wingers and Rovers traditionally have...and been reasonably successful.

If theres anything to be learned from last night, it's that 3 at the back clearly doesn't work, and Evans must never play for us again.

Delighted to be top, and starting to think that the only way we wont get promoted is down to Mowbray.

7 hours ago, darrenrover said:

So lets go 3-5-2 then chaddy. Who would you play where and why? For the record I think it's a great system if you've got the players who are all versatile enough, fit and intelligent enough to play it.

Out of interest, do you not think both Bennett and Bell looked like fish out of water?

Totally agree. 3-5-2 is a success if you've got wide men flying at the opposition .We haven't got those players especially without Chapman. Ours spend most of the game 5 yards in front of the back 3 coming from way too deep. Bell is a left back (if hes anything) and yet Mowbray is trying to make him into a winger . It suits Mowbrays conservative style  to think of it as making us more solid than in taking the shackles off and letting us rip into teams.

If we don't go up this season with that squad then nobody to blame but Mowbray. Far Too conservative and used his transfer kitty to sign the same types of players.

Good result but a generally poor performance. We gave the ball away too much under no pressure, got caught in possession too much and for an hour played too slowly. Evans and Smallwood were awful on the night and until Bennett moved inside Bury were better in that area.

For our three substitutions there must have been at least seven positional changes and a few changes in formation which in my opinion confirms that Mowbray doesn't really know his best team or shape. He needs to stop being too clever and stick to the basics.

Against a better team than Bury I don't think we would have won.

Good win.

67% possession against a team who had been on a pretty decent run. Raya wasn’t really troubled.

Dack was key. Teams try to crowd him out, but he still finds a way.

Lenihan with game time will be a great addition.

We have the squad to allow for substitutions which can change things and they did.

3 good points.

I grow so weary of listening to fans talk about it being “simple”, “clear cut”, “obvious” et al. If it’s such an easy sport, why aren’t you working in it? Have an opinion but please remember this is a professional sport. 

We need to win games, and the clear and simple fact is we’ve won 19 out of 33 so far thanks to the team as a whole, good signings, effort, motivation etc.

Things could be better, but to come on here suggesting “well that puts the formation to bed” when we’ve actually used it (successfully might I add)for at least 45 minutes of the previous 3 games (and funnily enough not conceded a goal with 3atb)

The lacklustre way we’ve started in the 4231 recently doesn’t mean we don’t suit that system, it probably means (since we’ve lost once in 6 months) that other teams are more prepared for that. Having a choice of shape is important. 

As for Evans, does he play if Travis isn’t suspended? Personally I don’t think so, and I don’t think Corry thinks that either because he looked drained of confidence. Time is running out on his career for me, and I don’t think he can cut it in the third tier.

Oh, and “relegation certs” Bury have one of the biggest budgets in league one, hadn’t lost in 6 games and obviously have been better organised since our last meeting. No games are easy at this level. The cherry on a frustrating cake for me is the fans last night; booing short corners? Get a grip - how many direct headers have we scored against league one defenders from corners this season? The answer to that should explain why it’s worth working on alternatives. Embarrassing 

Just now, Biz said:

I grow so weary of listening to fans talk about it being “simple”, “clear cut”, “obvious” et al. If it’s such an easy sport, why aren’t you working in it? Have an opinion but please remember this is a professional sport. 

We need to win games, and the clear and simple fact is we’ve won 19 out of 33 so far thanks to the team as a whole, good signings, effort, motivation etc.

Things could be better, but to come on here suggesting “well that puts the formation to bed” when we’ve actually used it (successfully might I add)for at least 45 minutes of the previous 3 games (and funnily enough not conceded a goal with 3atb)

The lacklustre way we’ve started in the 4231 recently doesn’t mean we don’t suit that system, it probably means (since we’ve lost once in 6 months) that other teams are more prepared for that. Having a choice of shape is important. 

As for Evans, does he play if Travis isn’t suspended? Personally I don’t think so, and I don’t think Corry thinks that either because he looked drained of confidence. Time is running out on his career for me, and I don’t think he can cut it in the third tier.

Oh, and “relegation certs” Bury have one of the biggest budgets in league one, hadn’t lost in 6 games and obviously have been better organised since our last meeting. No games are easy at this level. The cherry on a frustrating cake for me is the fans last night; booing short corners? Get a grip - how many direct headers have we scored against league one defenders from corners this season? The answer to that should explain why it’s worth working on alternatives. Embarrassing 

Well said. Rochdale drew with spurs,Wigan bet city. There are no easy games when the opposition are up for it. We have had a target on our head since the first day of the season. It's a credit to mowbray and the players that we are top of the league. Have some of your forgotten where we have come from after the last 7 seasons? 

What I find hilarious is fans criticising mowbrays selections and tactics but then as an alternative suggest the most ludicrous formations with players out of positions themselves. 

We won 2-0 and are top of the league. It seems most people are finding faults though. Long way to go,but I'm feeling confident. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Thank heavens Bury were too poor to take the three points we offered them on a plate- just seen recording of the game.

We must have a fantastic squad to have gone top of the league and nobody has any idea what our best XI and starting formation is!

Agree Philip, hate to say it but when Dyche got ****ley promoted I think he used only 18 players. Consistency is key and unfortunately at this time Mowbray has no idea what his best team is.

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

Evans shouldn't be anywhere near our first team. In the 1st half he gave the ball away stupidly and let a player just drift past him with the ball. Didn't even break into a sprint to try and recover his mistake. Embarrassing. If he don't wanna play, or for whatever reason can't give his all, get him gone.

As for the 2nd point about corners I didn't get the booing myself but it was odd that when arguably our best header took the corner, Mulgrew, it was direct in but when it was the other side it was played short. Didn't quite understand that. I know Charlie's delivery is spot on but surely Dack's isn't far off either.

14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Most sensible post I've seen so far.

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What I find hilarious is fans criticising mowbrays selections and tactics but then as an alternative suggest the most ludicrous formations with players out of positions themselves. 

That’s down to Mowbray’s recruitment though. This is a squad he has largely assembled himself, yet would appear to have no idea as to what our best formation and line up is. We are far too heavy numbers wise in certain positions, yet possess no natural width outside of Chapman and barely any height at either end. Square pegs, round holes with a fair few of our players - no matter what formation you select.

2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

3-5-2 didn't looked like it worked to me,  how much that was to do with the formation vs Evans being on over Payne I don't know. If Payne doesn't get a start in the next game I'm not sure what he has to do. 

Bradley Dack is a lovely man. 

Got the win we needed but wasn't pretty, hopefully Wigan will get distracted by Southampton and Shrewsshire Argyle or whatever they are called realise their place in the pyramid. 

Being in that there London was that the first game you've seen this season? You sound quite critical of Mogga's team selection. How's yer narrative? It's a bit different when you actually see a game isn't it, you can then understand the gripes people have.  

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

:lol:

I'll remember that next time someone mentions Steve Kean, Jerome Anderson or Venky's in a derogatory way.

FFS

Bit different to a cashier at BnQ suggesting we give up on a formation.

FFS indeed

Archived