BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

• Backroom
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray doesn't really know his best team or shape. He needs to stop being too clever and stick to the basics.

Problem is we've been saying this since August. I think we just have to accept this is the way it's going to be until the end of the season.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We used 3-5-2 formation in the Oldham to get a draws after being 2 nil at half time and to get a win at Portsmouth. 

anyway we got 3 points and we are top of the league, lets enjoy the day and relax

Well stop banging on about it....youre wrong on this issue Chaddy the evidence is clear.

Plus this sudden love in with Travis....how did we ever get top without him?  Bennett and Smallwood should play in front of the defence. End of discussion really....:rover:

• Backroom

Considering Evans has been poor for us for years now (in those brief periods he's fit around international break time, anyway) I'm not sure why him coming back from injury matters. Lenihan came straight back in and made a difference, that's the type of player we need and hopefully the type of player we will continue to build with. Passengers aren't needed and if we're being honest Evans has been a passenger for far longer than just last night's match. 

Just now, K-Hod said:

We weren’t very good last night, particularly first half, but we got the job done in the end. 

Bell is really not suited to being a winger and should be left back or nothing. Evans was the pantomime villain last night but he wasn’t as bad as some say.

We might as well enjoy the view from the top of the tree and hope that the Gills spring a surprise against the Shrews tonight.

I was sat there stewing in fury about Evans yesterday, but in the cold light of day you're right, he wasn't all that bad.

Said this before, but the problem with Evans isn't his ability, or even his attitude in terms of workrate etc. He's just, for whatever reason, completely passive and doesn't affect games in the way he should.

Could just about forgive this in the division above. Playing in a midfield two & coming back from injury, perhaps isn't going to be dominating games. But given some of the dross that we've played at this level, as well as the fact that we're playing in a team encouraged to keep the ball, with quality in front of him and quality coming from the back with Mulgrew, if Evans isn't impressing now, I don't think he ever will.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Well stop banging on about it....youre wrong on this issue Chaddy the evidence is clear.

Plus this sudden love in with Travis....how did we ever get top without him?  Bennett and Smallwood should play in front of the defence. End of discussion really....:rover:

Firstly, lets everyone have their opinions then and stop telling people what to think then

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Being in that there London was that the first game you've seen this season? You sound quite critical of Mogga's team selection. How's yer narrative? It's a bit different when you actually see a game isn't it, you can then understand the gripes people have.  

It was not, I went to the Rotherham home game. I think seeing it on Telly certainly highlighted our weaknesses more than being at the game though, you could see that the second half was far improved with the switch from 3-5-2 and the introduction of Payne. 

I stand by my backing of Mowbray however, despite it not being pretty yesterday we won and are top of the league. I do understand the gripes but if you're not going to enjoy the run we are on when would you enjoy football? Perhaps that should have been my point. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The height is over simplistic. We could do with a no nonsense hard man centre back and possibly a target man for when we are battling in the trenches against some stubborn side who are parking the bus, but these "big lumps" would need to be able to play football too. Who would you like to see us sign to fill those 2 roles? Because players like that aren't just been opffered around. 

Why ask the 'well who would you sign' question? I don't get hundreds of thousands of pounds from Rovers ala Mowbray to be in a position to answer that. All I said is, we're light in several areas - width and height/physicality being two of them which is why we have to shoehorn players to play certain positions that aren't natural to them - Armstrong, Payne, Bell, Samuel to name just four (granted they play in their natural positions from time to time). Hopefully our shortfalls will be addressed in the summer as a Championship club.

42 minutes ago, philipl said:

In his post match comments, Mowbray made a virtue out of opposition not knowing what formation we will play or who will be playing...

I’ve watched most of his interviews this season on the app, and two themes stand out a mile:

1) He believes you pick the team, at least in part, to counter the specific threats of the opponents on the day.

2) He wants the players to be comfortable switching formation mid-game as he believes that asks more questions of the opposition than switching players like for like. And they spend a lot of time working on this in training.

In short, he doesn’t believe in the concept of having a set formation with a best 11.

Now, one can debate whether he’s right conceptually, but to use it as evidence that he doesn’t know what he’s doing is simply wrong: he’s executing the philosophy he believes in.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

haven't I address your 1st point previous post. 

Travis didn't cost us tho. 

Experiment? what Experiement? its a formation we have been working on in training for months and Mowbray said this pre Bury match in his press conference. 

We used 3-5-2 formation in the Oldham to get a draws after being 2 nil at half time and to get a win at Portsmouth. 

in certain games we played 4-2-3-1 formation and we been slow in possession and other teams have stop us playing our game. 3-5-2 formation gives us a plan B and different way of playing.  

we have 90 minutes to win a game and don't have to win it in the 1st 20 mins, We do start slow and have done for a while. Bennett wanted the ball but Lenihan kept playing it long to Graham. Also think it would have better if we had Whittingham or Travis in centre midfield and not Evans who has been poor all season. 

anyway we got 3 points and we are top of the league, lets enjoy the day and relax

Crazy to think how at the start of the season you argued for ages with me that Tony Mowbray didn't like the 3 at the back system despite myself and others pointing out he used to switch formations like this at Boro.

How times change eh.

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Why ask the 'well who would you sign' question? I don't get hundreds of thousands of pounds from Rovers ala Mowbray to be in a position to answer that. All I said is, we're light in several areas - width and height/physicality being two of them which is why we have to shoehorn players to play certain positions that aren't natural to them - Armstrong, Payne, Bell, Samuel to name just four (granted they play in their natural positions from time to time). Hopefully our shortfalls will be addressed in the summer as a Championship club.

It is a perfectly reasonable question and the minimum you should be able to answer if questioning our current players. 

If you are saying who is here isn't good enough, then give a realistic alternative. Otherwise it just sounds like you are moaning without a constructive alternative. It is easy to moan, give a solution. 

Saying we need "height" and "physicality" is easy. Expand on this.  

The evidence so far says his methods are working despite being frustrating to watch and as well as confusing the oppo it confuses our lot as well very clearly at times. Whilst it's never going to be easy you do feel there should be a far more straight forwards approach to it at times and you can see why we often go behind in games and give ourselves a mountain to climb instead of a hill.

Got to stick with it though but if you want to get the crowds hackles up and get them behind you from the off last nights approach won't hit the spot but if we won last night 4 nil at a canter with two goals in the first 3 mins he'd still swap it around at Walsall.

Drink in being top for now is all I can say no point trying to second guess TM anymore just keep praying for the fitness and form of the three marquee players they are the most important factors I think.

It wasn't the best performance, but we got the 3 points, and that's all I care about. If fans want to expect 4-0 tubbings of our opponents in matches like this (and they are plentiful on here!), each to their own, although I don't think that equates with any footballing reality anywhere on this planet.

All eyes on Shrewsbury and Gillingham tonight. If Shrewsbury don't win, automatic promotion is back in our hands, and the pressure is on. Let's try to handle it this time!

7 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Payne looked great when he came on, whilst Dack has been great this season and did well in parts last night Payne is a better footballer IMO.

That is quite a claim. I think that although they play the same role (sort of as Dack is playing as a second striker effectively and Payne is more an attacking midfielder) they are different types of players. Payne is a creator, a passer if you like whereas Dack is your direct, dribbler type (though he can pass a bit too).

Time will tell if Payne is better than Dack but although he obviously has bags of potential, I think Dack is the better of the two at the moment.

First half last night we looked like a 3rd division side, poor passing, no excuse for that, the players lacked focus in my opinion, concentration levels took a while to get up to speed.

On the other hand Bury looked full of beans, buzzing around, quick passing and plenty of movement up front.

Second half was a different story, excellent Mowbray subs, Payne looks on another level, quick feet and a good footballing brain, a cut above anyone else on the pitch and eventually an easy win on the night.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't full of quality, but it is 3rd division football.

Top of the league from being 15 points off the pace, superb effort from the manager and players.

Onwards and upwards.

On reflection one option not majorly considered is Lenihan could play in midfield. He's a square peg like Bennett, but has more experience there.

I expect Mowbray will give that a shot next as he will be desperate for Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, Bell and Nyambe all to play but not convinced by 352 after last night.

So....

------------------------------Raya

Nyambe----Mulgrew-------Williams-----Bell

--------------Smallwood-------Lenihan

------------Payne--------Dack-----Armstrong

-----------------------------Graham

He's got a real selection nightmare at the moment.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Anyone know what was going on with all the short corners?

I suspect it's because most of our opponents are better in the air than us (when was the last time we scored from a corner? I honestly don't know, but can't recall off the top of my head...), so I can only surmise that it was simply a different approach being tried.

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is a perfectly reasonable question and the minimum you should be able to answer if questioning our current players. 

If you are saying who is here isn't good enough, then give a realistic alternative. Otherwise it just sounds like you are moaning without a constructive alternative. It is easy to moan, give a solution. 

Saying we need "height" and "physicality" is easy. Expand on this.  

'The minimum I should be able to answer'. Jesus. Because I've said we lack some width and height/physicality I need to produce a ready made list of players available for us to sign. Not my job. I'd say 95% of this message board has been saying the same over the past few months; it's hardly an alternative point of view.

Anyway, I don't want to detract away from the match thread further.

At first I thought Antonson was crap, but I think we've really missed his energy and goals since he's been out glad to see him back, and not a coincidence to see the tempo up slightly when he came on. We scored quite a few goals in the first half of the season by Raya playing the ball out wide to Antonson and going on a quick counter attack.

Archived