BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

Our allocation of 2116 tickets for this game is virtually sold out. There are a further 500 tickets coming our way. At £14 return from Northwich, by train, it would be extremely rude not to go. There is a station (Bescot) outside the stadium. I was last at Walsall away around 1973, give or take a year, seems like yesterday. COYB.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Our allocation of 2116 tickets for this game is virtually sold out. There are a further 500 tickets coming our way. At £14 return from Northwich, by train, it would be extremely rude not to go. There is a station (Bescot) outside the stadium. I was last at Walsall away around 1973, give or take a year, seems like yesterday. COYB.

I recall we got chased to the station after the game by a bunch of Black Country thugs. At least you won’t have as far to run this time, no bad thing at our age!

19 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I recall we got chased to the station after the game by a bunch of Black Country thugs. At least you won’t have as far to run this time, no bad thing at our age!

I seem to remember the side of the bridge at the station falling off (or was it pushed ).

19 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I seem to remember some West Brom lads turning up, John, so it could well have been them! Rovers fans had a bit of a reputation back then and fans of other teams would try their luck - West Ham fans when we played Orient and Charlton fans at Sutton/Welling? etc. etc. Yep, a twenty yards walk to the station will suit me fine!

Just bought my tickets, was going to go down this weekend but it'll obviously sell out!

2,600 Rovers fans, very impressive!!

Saw on twitter earlier total away attendance this year stands at 29,700

29,700/number of away games 16 = 1,856 average away following this season!

Yes, lots of local away games, but also a few sell outs. Fleetwood away for instance, I'm sure we could have taken double what we did.

Got our tickets. Seems like they are selling out very fast. It's now over to the St Francis stand which holds 1,700. Woman on the phone told me they are almost out of the original 700 allocation in that stand meaning there'll be roughly 500 as available tomorrow.

Good performance on tv vs Bury on Monday and this is certain to be another sell out. Does anyone know if Walsall would be open to an extra-extra allocation? ;)

We are massive

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Got our tickets. Seems like they are selling out very fast. It's now over to the St Francis stand which holds 1,700. Woman on the phone told me they are almost out of the original 700 allocation in that stand meaning there'll be roughly 500 as available tomorrow.

Good performance on tv vs Bury on Monday and this is certain to be another sell out. Does anyone know if Walsall would be open to an extra-extra allocation? ;)

We are massive

Have also booked 3 tickets for the St Francis Stand. Have a Walsall season ticket holder work colleague, a pukka football fan, who has emailed me with some info around free parking around Bescot and suggested pubs which I will post if people would find it helpful. He was surprised we weren't given the whole stand as well as the away from the off, given our name. Suffice to say he's not optimistic of them getting anything out of the game, but is looking forward to our visit.

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I believe Cannock's a good stop off prior to a game at The Bescott?

Good stop off for what darrenrover? I live down the road from Cannock and it would not be my choice for a drink/meal, although the local scenery is fantastic. If you are driving, I can suggest you get off at M6 junctions 14 or 13 as there are pubs just off (Shire Horse and the Redhill at 14 and Catch Corner at 13). They all serve standard pub food although the Shire Horse is better quality imo but pricier. There is also a Chinese buffet opposite which is good. Stafford is a nice town to visit, is pedestrianised and we have decent pubs if you're not in a hurry. Walsall is a further 17 miles down the motorway. I will be going by train from Rugeley as it's on the direct line to the Bescot. I know that service starts in Crewe which may interest anyone wanting to avoid having to change at Birmingham. 

I have also been given the name of a pub that welcomes away fans near the ground and will post it tomorrow when I find the note I wrote it on!

Happy to assist with any other travel questions as I'm pretty much a local.

14 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Have also booked 3 tickets for the St Francis Stand. Have a Walsall season ticket holder work colleague, a pukka football fan, who has emailed me with some info around free parking around Bescot and suggested pubs which I will post if people would find it helpful. He was surprised we weren't given the whole stand as well as the away from the off, given our name. Suffice to say he's not optimistic of them getting anything out of the game, but is looking forward to our visit.

Would be very handy as this will be my first visit and I am going by car?

I grew up down in the Midlands and spent a fair bit of time in Walsall (all during my underage drinking days mind you - the pubs will serve anyone!!) and I have to say it's quite the grim place. It makes Blackburn look like a metropolis.

The stadium itself is some way from the town Centre. I'd say a good 45min to 1hr walk so I'd advise getting off around Bescott Stadium if you aren't arriving well before dinner time to make the most of your day! On the whole the fans are quite pleasant but there's always the "element" that would likely have a pop at a group of you walking from town to the Stadium. I'm not actually sure of the away-friendly pubs around the ground but I know there's a hotel right by it. Can't say for sure whether they'd accept anyone in colours.

The town centre itself is full of pubs so should be no difficulty finding somewhere to drink. The only issue is avoiding the piss cans and dead heads that inhabit them. Many a story to tell about some reyt wrong places there and very much looking forward to reliving my 16 year old self on a walkabout round the town.

5 hours ago, AJW said:

Would be very handy as this will be my first visit and I am going by car?

Okay AJW so there is free parking at Morrison's supermarket near the ground, which you will see if you exit off the M6 and head towards the ground. The King George is opposite Morrison's and usually accommodates away fans. There is also the Fullbrook, but my source suggests that's worth giving a miss. There is also the Saddlers Club close to the ground which accepts away fans but there is a small charge to enter. Good luck with your journey.

On 2/14/2018 at 20:49, Claytons Left Boot said:

Would'nt that have been Fellows Park back in 1973? Their new(ish) ground is the Bescot Stadium - a different venue.

Don't want you turning up at the old ground and finding it's now a Tesco. 

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Would'nt that have been Fellows Park back in 1973? Their new(ish) ground is the Bescot Stadium - a different venue.

Don't want you turning up at the old ground and finding it's now a Tesco. 

When it was opened in 1990, their new ground was called the Bescot Stadium but has since changed its name to the Banks’s Stadium following sponsorship by Banks’s Brewery. The railway station outside the ground is called Bescot Stadium. Yep, my last visit, circa 1973 was to Fellows Park.

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

When it was opened in 1990, their new ground was called the Bescot Stadium but has since changed its name to the Banks’s Stadium following sponsorship by Banks’s Brewery. The railway station outside the ground is called Bescot Stadium. Yep, my last visit, circa 1973 was to Fellows Park.

Was that the game where Stuart Metcalfe lobbed Sir Roger from 25-yards?

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Was that the game where Stuart Metcalfe lobbed Sir Roger from 25-yards?

Can’t remember that John but I do seem to remember Meccy turning, just inside our box, and hitting a hard shot-come-back pass past a bemused keeper, probably Sir Roger. It was at Ewood and Tranmere rings a bell. Will have to get the Jackman book out!

20 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Good stop off for what darrenrover? I live down the road from Cannock and it would not be my choice for a drink/meal, although the local scenery is fantastic. If you are driving, I can suggest you get off at M6 junctions 14 or 13 as there are pubs just off (Shire Horse and the Redhill at 14 and Catch Corner at 13). They all serve standard pub food although the Shire Horse is better quality imo but pricier. There is also a Chinese buffet opposite which is good. Stafford is a nice town to visit, is pedestrianised and we have decent pubs if you're not in a hurry. Walsall is a further 17 miles down the motorway. I will be going by train from Rugeley as it's on the direct line to the Bescot. I know that service starts in Crewe which may interest anyone wanting to avoid having to change at Birmingham. 

I have also been given the name of a pub that welcomes away fans near the ground and will post it tomorrow when I find the note I wrote it on!

Happy to assist with any other travel questions as I'm pretty much a local.

I'll be travelling from Tamworth by train. Going straight to Bescot. How far is nearest pub mate. 1st visit for me

Archived