BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya it's fantastic, I just really hope we shake off that pesky Shrewsbury team soon!

You would hope our superior squad will eventually come into play and see the likes of Shrewsbury off, but I'm sure we'll see one or two twists between now and May.

Illness was apparently running through the team today, as it was throughout December and January, so hopefully we can shake that off. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gav said:

You would hope our superior squad will eventually come into play and see the likes of Shrewsbury off, but I'm sure we'll see one or two twists between now and May.

Illness was apparently running through the team today, as it was throughout December and January, so hopefully we can shake that off. 

I thought Charlton would get a result today.

Hopefully we have everyone back for Tuesday and we go again. Shrewsbury seem to struggle when they need to play a game they have in hand as opposed to kicking off the same time as us. 6 points from the next 2 games would be monumental. 

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, Gav said:

Another one ticked off and another 3 points in the bag, you can't ask for anymore than that.

Im surprised nobody is talk about the tremendous run we're on? 1 loss since October, or since Toms Mowbray out thread, I'm think of starting another one to see us up as champions.

The support today, Fantastic, superb, a credit to the club and town and they bring home the 3 points.

Onwards and upwards.

Play fair - there was never a 'Mowbray out' thread however there was a poll as requested by others, I started it as a mod as I can create polls, there was a sway on here to have him replaced early in the season when we were performing very poorly and set up in a confused way and when we turned it around the pendulum swung back.

Football fans are nothing if not fickle, and I'm as fickle as any of them.

Mowbray has turned it around magnificently since then let's just hope it counts come May (does the season end in May?)

I've said many times I would love to look a complete mug at the end of the season, I propose a BRFCS truce and celebration evening once we are promoted, even if we are not! 

Anyway off for a curry and a few celebratory pints, will raise a glass to Tony and co tonight 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What a strange game. For 40 minutes I thought it was the best performance of the season. Like watching the Man Ciry of League 1. Then we conceded a goal on HT which I missed because I'd gone to the loo and the second half eas completely different as we seemingly lost the ability to win a tackle or pass the ball to each other.

Bennett had a very good first half but didappeared without trace in the second and our midfield was virtually non existent in the second period. Raya made a superp block on 75 mins when the Shrewsbury player was through on goal and that uLtimately made the difference.

Anyhow three points which is just about all that matters so take it and move on. Mulgrew took a nasty looking knock, hope he's ok.

Great atmosphere from the travelling fans. As at Bury two sides of the ground chocka with Rovers fans again.

12 games to go. You can start to smell it......

Can we not get Shrewsbury deducted points for one of their players coming on the pitch in our game

Don't know anything much about the game itself so will read the thread.

But

That was a massive massive win. Both Wigan and Shrewsbury won games they might have dropped points in so we just had to win this one.

Little by little, games are running out and there is less time to change positions in. Every game is now must win.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Our superior squad has already come in to play - on 21st October we were 14 points behind Shrewsbury, so have accumulated 15 more points than them in the time since. We just have to carry on as we are and we should see them off no problem. 

Just got back... overall I thought we started brilliantly and then switched off. That goal before half time changed everything.

The big issue that we now face is the goalkeeper. Raya isn’t up to in my eyes- he’s so inconsistent, it’s unreal. One minute he’ll make a point blank save- the next it’s a terrible kick. I’d like to see what our reserve keeper is like, after Raya cost us another goal today. 

5 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Just got back... overall I thought we started brilliantly and then switched off. That goal before half time changed everything.

The big issue that we now face is the goalkeeper. Raya isn’t up to in my eyes- he’s so inconsistent, it’s unreal. One minute he’ll make a point blank save- the next it’s a terrible kick. I’d like to see what our reserve keeper is like, after Raya cost us another goal today. 

Agree with this. Raya isn't the answer. Just been lucky to be in the right place when we had no goalies 

A tale of two halves. First half was as good as it gets, passing and moving, playing good football and in full control. Conceding on 45 mins was a blow but I thought we would continue in the same vein, score another in the second half and run out comfortable winners. How wrong could I be. Walsall came at us from the off, won all the first and second balls, chased and harried and all we could offer were some balls hoofed up to no one in particular. Whilst we passed the ball around with ease in the first half, now we couldn’t find a blue shirt if we tried. We somehow held on for the points though and that’s the sign of a good team. I hadn’t known about the illness/bug sweeping through some of the camp, so I suppose we need to cut them some slack.

A word on the fantastic travelling hordes. A full end and I presume half of one side. Never stopped singing from the first minute to the last and they carried the lads through the final stages of the game. The train back to Birmingham New Street was packed with Rovers fans and to say it was rocking was an understatement!

Why is it that after a good win today, I feel depressed?  Is it because it was a spawney win? Is it because Shrewsbury and Wigan won?  Is it because Rotherham won in the 120th minute.  Keep telling myself a win is a win but?

Anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

11 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

I think allot of keepers are like that except the very top ones which we cant afford anyway, just watch Butland today some great saves and throws one in .

8 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Why is it that after a good win today, I feel depressed?  Is it because it was a spawney win? Is it because Shrewsbury and Wigan won?  Is it because Rotherham won in the 120th minute.  Keep telling myself a win is a win but?

Anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

It may be just you.

Our  best player was absent through illness  and we had two starters throwing up at half time but still won.

Danny Graham was superb today. Best performance I've seen him give. Williams was also very good with a superbly timed tackle in the first half. First half Walsall where abysmal and rovers played some good football. Second half we where abysmal aimlessly hoofing it to nobody. Samuel was very poor and i don't know what's happened to bell. From step overs and surging runs, a lad who looked cool and brimming with confidence on his debut to today where he didn't look like he even wanted the ball. I think dack would of had a field day in that first half the space we were allowed. After the subs I honestly didn't know who was playing where and it looked like the players didn't.

So having highlighted what I saw as the negatives we did get three points away from home and credit to them for grinding it in the second half after a good first. Sometimes playing poorly or ugly as long as you get the points is how champions are made. Overall a good day and job done. On to Tuesday now if the bloody weather doesn't ruin it for everyone

51 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Agree with this. Raya isn't the answer. Just been lucky to be in the right place when we had no goalies 

Compare David De Gea when he first joined United and the level he's at now. He looked like a scrawny teenager, he got bullied on set pieces and made a load of errors and was slated in his first season but you could see he had ability and potential when he would pull off the odd wonder save and look at the guy now! He's filled out, he's grown up and he's arguably the best keeper in the world. That save against Sevilla the other night, wow. Listen, I'm not for a minute comparing Raya with De Gea but you've got to give young keepers time to make mistakes and learn and mature as a man and a player. If Raya had shown nothing to suggest he could develop into a good keeper then fair enough but for me, he's definitely got ability and the potential to develop so I'm not going to write the kid off yet. I think he could be a top top keeper one day. 

1 hour ago, scotchrover said:

Not unique to Raya unless comparing to De Gea (now) or Courtois...

Think we are a bit harsh - he has made many great saves to prevent goals during the season so far. Not exactly helped by shoddy defending either especially on corners. Best keeper we have had since Robbo imo although he has work to do on kicking, crosses and communication with defenders.

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chaddy says Payne was " poor ", somebodies mistaken here.

Plenty said Graham was washed up, Dack wasn't up to it and neither was Mowbray.

Its all about opinions TS as you know.

Excellent first half, abject 2nd, great 3 points.

Graham had the centre half crying for his mummy in that first half such was his dominance. Armstrong was a little subdued but contributed a touch of brilliance for the 1st goal. Payne played well, drove at the heart of Walsall and always wanted the ball. On the whole the football played was full of pace and purpose and it's fair to say we battered Walsall. 

However, that goal on HT changed all of that. From an assured composed performance we went edgy and stopped trusting our superior footballing ability. We started to bypass midfield and, where in the  first half we had plenty showing for passes to feet, the options just weren't there - a collective lack of bottle for me. Added to that we were winning virtually none of the 50-50s and so Walsall took control. Fortunately they are a very poor side and didn't really trouble us too much so the points were ours. Much needed too.

Not too much to pick over in regard to individual performances but I have to mention the contribution (or lack of) from Samuel. I fail to see what he brings to the party apart from pace. Weak with his back to goal, poor first touch and a complete lack of awareness and movement - he looks distinctly non league to me.

Anyway, 7 more wins should do it and, based on that first half performance, we should manage that.

Huge 3 points.

Brilliant first half and we should have been at least 3 up.  Some of the football we played in the opening 40 minutes was sensational.  Conceded a bad goal and the match turned.

Under the cosh during the second half and we dug deep to hold on for 3 points.  At this stage of the season it is all about results no matter how you get them.

It is going to be nip and tuck from now until the end of the season.  I really hope that the sickness bug sweeping the squad passes quickly as we Wimbledon is going to be a tough game with the more physical style.  If somehow we can get get 3 points that sets us up for the Wigan game and also puts some pressure on Shrewsbury.

Away support magnificent once again.

Archived