Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Smallwood

Payne             Dack          Antonsson

Armstrong

Subs:- Downing Bell Tomlinson Conway Samuel Graham Luetwiler

Decide to play 4-2-3-1 after Payne performance and Travis not being available otherwise it would have been 3 at back for me. Very comfortable with either formation tbh. 

My team would have been otherwise

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett   Travis  Smallwood   Bell

Dack

Armstrong Graham

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, david brent said:

The Old Joint Stock is a cracking pub. It also handily backs onto the Wellington which is a very good real ale pub. The respective beer gardens adjoin each other; you can just walk through. 

I am part of a convey of 3 full coaches going from Darwen (Craven and Spinners pubs). Stopping off on the way down. Haven’t seen numbers travelling like this since the old Darwen Blues days! 

Would have loved to be in one of those coaches pal. I remember us taking two full coaches of Darwen Blues from the Britannia to Stoke City when we had a nice session in Sandbach on the way there and also on the way back. I’ve still got the Darwen Blues t-shirt from the day. Seems like yesterday but realistically about ten years ago I think. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Bennett Smallwood

Armstrong

Decide to play 4-2-3-1 after Payne performance and Travis not being available otherwise it would have been 3 at back for me. Very comfortable with either formation tbh. 

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Dack

Armstrong Graham

So you would change the winning team formation just to accomodate a young lad who's probably not good enough and hasn't played all season. ??

Payne can slot into any formation 

Our best attacking players are Dack, Payne, Graham and Armstrong..

Any manager in this league who knew they were first choice starters for Rovers would be quaking in their boots.

Those 4 should be first on the team sheet with the rest of the team built around them.

Let other clubs worry about us. 

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

So you would change the winning team formation just to accomodate a young lad who's probably not good enough and hasn't played all season. ??

Payne can slot into any formation 

Winning team formation? We picked 7 points in 3 games by playing 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 in games. 

Travis isnt good enough? You are joking arent you. Will be very good player for us. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Our best attacking players are Dack, Payne, Graham and Armstrong..

Any manager in this league who knew they were first choice starters for Rovers would be quaking in their boots.

Those 4 should be first on the team sheet with the rest of the team built around them.

Let other clubs worry about us. 

I would say Mulgrew and Smallwood would be in the best 4 players at the club with Dack and Graham. Then Armstrong and Payne

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Winning team formation? We picked 7 points in 3 games by playing 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 in games. 

Travis isnt good enough? You are joking arent you. Will be very good player for us. 

I would say Mulgrew and Smallwood would be in the best 4 players at the club with Dack and Graham. Then Armstrong and Payne

He said best four attacking players - do keep up.

We don't really have any natural width in our midfield and front line so its imperative our full backs are allowed to get forward and stay wide. They are the only ones with a bit of pace other than Armstrong. Bennett out wide is workman like but too defensive. Hes better in the middle closing down opponents with Smallwood. Williams needs dropping forever with Evans. 

I'm sure this team will have already been posted earlier by someone. 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Bennett Dack Smallwood

Payne

Graham Armstrong

Antonsson on in second half

25 minutes ago, benhben said:

Raya

Bennett Smallwood

Dack

Graham Armstrong

Antonsson and Payne on in second half. 

I’d get one of them on in the first half then we’ll have eleven on at kick off :-)

27 minutes ago, benhben said:

We don't really have any natural width in our midfield and front line so its imperative our full backs are allowed to get forward and stay wide. They are the only ones with a bit of pace other than Armstrong. Bennett out wide is workman like but too defensive. Hes better in the middle closing down opponents with Smallwood. Williams needs dropping forever with Evans. 

I'm sure this team will have already been posted earlier by someone. 

Raya

Bennett Smallwood

Dack

Graham Armstrong

Antonsson and Payne on in second half. 

Why are so many fans on here suggesting starting line-ups with less than 11 players?

And people criticize Tonys selections 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You could stick Payne in beside Dack and it might do a job on a narrow pitch like Wimbledons 

No matter who we play in the front line they wont stay wide, hence why we need the full backs to push on. Against Bury we tried 3-5-2 for more width but it ended up 5 at the back for long spells. 

New poster on here after dipping in and out the site for a while! Remember going to Fellowes Park in, I guess, late 70's / early 80's. Looking forward to being in a big following on my 2nd visit to the Bescot (nearly a home game for me as just down the road from Shropshire). I guess I'm a bit like ParsonBlue in that I grew up watching us at this sort of level so maybe the pain isn't as great as it is for the younger fans? However at least back then you knew the owners were trying to do their best for the club.

Anyway good to be able to get behind a team that finally looks like it cares.

Think on Saturday we should go on all out attack - best form of defence and all that!

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Bennett Smallwood

Armstrong

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Dack

Armstrong Graham

good line up apart from getting points deducted for playing an intelligible player in travis

1 hour ago, DraytonRover said:

New poster on here after dipping in and out the site for a while! Remember going to Fellowes Park in, I guess, late 70's / early 80's. Looking forward to being in a big following on my 2nd visit to the Bescot (nearly a home game for me as just down the road from Shropshire). I guess I'm a bit like ParsonBlue in that I grew up watching us at this sort of level so maybe the pain isn't as great as it is for the younger fans? However at least back then you knew the owners were trying to do their best for the club.

Anyway good to be able to get behind a team that finally looks like it cares.

Think on Saturday we should go on all out attack - best form of defence and all that!

What's your opinion on the pies? Do they match up to the pies during Howard Kendall's time as manager?

51 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What's your opinion on the pies? Do they match up to the pies during Howard Kendall's time as manager?

Very little matches up to how it was in Howard's time as manager - then again I was only 14/15 then!

Hollands meat pies - with the juice so hot it scalded your mouth - those were the days.

Trying to keep off them now though - difficult enough to fit into modern stand seats as it is!!

5 minutes ago, DraytonRover said:

Very little matches up to how it was in Howard's time as manager - then again I was only 14/15 then!

Hollands meat pies - with the juice so hot it scalded your mouth - those were the days.

Trying to keep off them now though - difficult enough to fit into modern stand seats as it is!!

It's good that you do. We don't like people complaining about the pies round here.

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's good that you do. We don't like people complaining about the pies round here.

You complaining Tony though, sack him you say to myself, maybe better for you keep talking pies. cannot go UK for game,Nuttall may play? Hope for win.

Just now, Mark45 said:

You complaining Tony though, sack him you say to myself, maybe better for you keep talking pies. cannot go UK for game,Nuttall may play? Hope for win.

There's a lot to complain about with Mowbray. I am aware you can't attend games as living abroad but if you attended every week you'd know about what was being spoken about at the time people called for his head. Our performances up until late October simply weren't good enough.

Mowbray did right in rectifying it and deserves credit for turning things around. Still less than convinced with his philosophy of not having a set in stone system though - think this will lead us to being unstuck by the better teams in higher divisions.

Archived