32 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Local pies for local people

As I was born and bred in Rossendale I know all about 'local' stuff!! :D

As to local pies my Grandad was a baker for Cordeys and taught me this rhyme:

"Hollands Pies, full of flies

Concrete bottom, rubber sides

Rusty meat and iron jelly

All to go inside your belly"

Back on topic(ish) I guess it will be Pukka pies at the Bescot - not up to northern pie standards despite their reputation down here

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DraytonRover said:

Back on topic(ish) I guess it will be Pukka pies at the Bescot - not up to northern pie standards despite their reputation down here

Welcome aboard DR.  How did you fare for getting a ticket?  After being a season ticket holder for many years till a couple of years ago I haven't been to any games at Ewood this season.  Did a few aways last season but none this season so far.  Am one of the Not A Penny to Venkys brigade but am balancing that against deteriorating health.  So whilst I'd like to do one or two aways before the end of the season am wondering if I'll be able to get tickets.  Did you get a ticket for the Rovers section?

it's against my principles but I might have to go to a home game.

Just now, Neil Weaver said:

Welcome aboard DR.  How did you fare for getting a ticket?  After being a season ticket holder for many years till a couple of years ago I haven't been to any games at Ewood this season.  Did a few aways last season but none this season so far.  Am one of the Not A Penny to Venkys brigade but am balancing that against deteriorating health.  So whilst I'd like to do one or two aways before the end of the season am wondering if I'll be able to get tickets.  Did you get a ticket for the Rovers section?

it's against my principles but I might have to go to a home game.

Cheers Neil.

For the Walsall game got one of the last ones of the extra 500 that went on sale. Also got one for Wimbledon - was surprised to get that one tbh as new ground for Rovers and near London.

Enjoying the away games as better atmosphere - also fit better with work/home balance as down south during the week so southern night matches work well for me.

Was boycotting home games for a while but with the (apparently) more sensible approach by the owners my stance has softened a bit. It's hard when you've invested so much over the years (my first game was Oct 74) to stop. I admire those of you who have stayed firm.

Totally understand  the health situation. I used to go with my Dad who died when only 66 - makes you think about what you might miss and never get back.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There's a lot to complain about with Mowbray. I am aware you can't attend games as living abroad but if you attended every week you'd know about what was being spoken about at the time people called for his head. Our performances up until late October simply weren't good enough.

Mowbray did right in rectifying it and deserves credit for turning things around. Still less than convinced with his philosophy of not having a set in stone system though - think this will lead us to being unstuck by the better teams in higher divisions.

I visit 8 game so far, no Tony out? only good support so questions motivations on here. Peterborough United FC I will listen for dreams boooo tony (joke) 

36 minutes ago, Mark45 said:

I visit 8 game so far, no Tony out? only good support so questions motivations on here. Peterborough United FC I will listen for dreams boooo tony (joke) 

You clearly weren't at the Oldham away game then. Or heard the boos on Monday night.

I'd like to point out that I haven't booed the team at all this season, even after that shambolic start. I did say that Mowbray wasn't the manager to take us up though but I'll happily eat my words on that one providing he does it.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Winning team formation? We picked 7 points in 3 games by playing 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 in games. 

Travis isnt good enough? You are joking arent you. Will be very good player for us. 

I would say Mulgrew and Smallwood would be in the best 4 players at the club with Dack and Graham. Then Armstrong and Payne

I said "attacking" players. 

42 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You clearly weren't at the Oldham away game then. Or heard the boos on Monday night.

I'd like to point out that I haven't booed the team at all this season, even after that shambolic start. I did say that Mowbray wasn't the manager to take us up though but I'll happily eat my words on that one providing he does it.

Should that not read you'll happily eat humble pie, following some recent posts?

I'll get mi coat.

1 hour ago, DraytonRover said:

Somebody once told me there are no cats in Baxenden. Just saying.

19 hours ago,  chaddyrovers said: 

Winning team formation? We picked 7 points in 3 games by playing 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 in games. 

Travis isnt good enough? You are joking arent you. Will be very good player for us. 

I would say Mulgrew and Smallwood would be in the best 4 players at the club with Dack and Graham. Then Armstrong and Payne

Graham one of best 4 players? Didn't you advocate getting rid of him?

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Also what kind of electrical witchcraft are they using to get the commentary to run alongside it, ifollow said it is not possible !

Good move by the club though to get a few extra quid in via blues bar.

Would I be correct in saying if Smallwood gets booked tomorrow or Tuesday he will miss the Wigan game? Pretty strong possibility that will happen I reckon. Can't help but feel he should have taken a booking earlier. Be great if he goes the next 2 matches without getting one and then takes it in the Wigan game. He would be a huge loss if we have to play them without him 

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would I be correct in saying if Smallwood gets booked tomorrow or Tuesday he will miss the Wigan game? Pretty strong possibility that will happen I reckon. Can't help but feel he should have taken a booking earlier. Be great if he goes the next 2 matches without getting one and then takes it in the Wigan game. He would be a huge loss if we have to play them without him 

Yes he needs to get through 37 games then it goes to 15 bookings

I would like a settled system and don't think 3 at the back suits us at all, but I do sympathize (a bit) with TM with regards formation changes as I think he is facing the challenges below:

-Finding a spot for the returning Lenihan in the 11 (one of the best performers last season).

-Trying to get Armstrong playing more centrally without dropping Graham who's scoring regularly.

-Introducing Amari Bell into the 11 without dropping Williams, who has his failings but still seems to merit a place in TM's eyes.

-Having to accommodate our best player in Dack who can't play in a 2 in midfield.

With that said, in my view is he needs to be a bit more ruthless and have confidence in this squads ability to be beat anybody in this league, without overcomplicating the selection to compensate for the opposition's strengths.

Forget the back 3, it hasn't worked and whilst Bell seems to have the attributes, on paper, to be a decent wing back it clearly doesn't work on grass.  IMO he'd be more effective attacking from deep, overlapping an advanced left sided attacker.  Neither Nyambe or Bennett are capable of playing right wing back either.  He was delighted with Mulgrew and Lenihan in as the central defensive pairing last season (evidenced here > https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/may/they-give-us-a-solid-base-to-work-from/)  ... so why not just go with them as the pairing again now?  Downing has proved capable but he was only ever signed as Lenihan cover and Williams doesn't merit a start at CB. 

My team, therefore would be:

(4-2-3-1)

Raya

Nyambe     Lenihan    Mulgrew     Bell

Bennett    Smallwood

Payne        Dack        Armstong

Graham

Antonsson off the bench for Graham and move Armstrong up top for a different dynamic should the game need it.

I'll go for a 2-1 win on Saturday.  Armstrong and Dack to score.

5 minutes ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

I would like a settled system and don't think 3 at the back suits us at all, but I do sympathize (a bit) with TM with regards formation changes as I think he is facing the challenges below:

-Finding a spot for the returning Lenihan in the 11 (one of the best performers last season).

-Trying to get Armstrong playing more centrally without dropping Graham who's scoring regularly.

-Introducing Amari Bell into the 11 without dropping Williams, who has his failings but still seems to merit a place in TM's eyes.

-Having to accommodate our best player in Dack who can't play in a 2 in midfield.

With that said, in my view is he needs to be a bit more ruthless and have confidence in this squads ability to be beat anybody in this league, without overcomplicating the selection to compensate for the opposition's strengths.

Forget the back 3, it hasn't worked and whilst Bell seems to have the attributes, on paper, to be a decent wing back it clearly doesn't work on grass.  IMO be more effective attacking from deep, overlapping an advanced left sided attacker.  Neither Nyambe or Bennett are capable of playing right wing back either.  He was delighted with Mulgrew and Lenihan in as the central pairing last season (evidenced here > https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/may/they-give-us-a-solid-base-to-work-from/)  ... so why not just go with them as the pairing again now?  Downing has proved capable but he was only ever signed as Lenihan cover and Williams doesn't merit a start at CB. 

(4-2-3-1)

Raya

Bennett    Smallwood

Graham

Antonsson off the bench for Graham and move Armstrong up top for a different dynamic should the game need it.

That should be our starting 11

Armstrong cannot play from the left. He is a goalscorer and needs to play centrally. He showed at Plymouth away especially he is not a wide man and that is the reason he cut short his stay at Bolton. Trying to put him on the left is not the answer. Either up front or on the bench.

1 hour ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

(4-2-3-1)

Raya

Bennett    Smallwood

Graham

I think most are in agreement that this should be our side, and it certainly deserves a crack against Walsall tomorrow. The only thing I would say, is it's the same system and midfield 5 that was utilised against Portsmouth and it didn't look very convincing in the first half at all there. For me, it wasn't until we went to 3-5-2 in the second half that we got a grip on that game, and you would imagine we'll be facing a similar threat tomorrow in Walsall. Hopefully Lenihan, Bell and most importantly Graham, in for Downing, Williams and Samuel can give us a little more protection, structure and attacking impetus than we saw in the first half against Pompey.

Archived