BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

So instead of taking responsibility he passes the ball, and the buck, to somebody in a worse position than he was.

No. 1 minute 25 secs. If anyone should have played the %'s it was Mulgrew.

And in the match thread I found this in you blamed Mulgrew and Williams.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've had my few hours sleep after work and am psyched for this one.

Wondering what formation we'll see today and if he'll play Evans, again.

Safe journey to everyone coming along!

as always... COYB!!!!

22 hours ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

I would like a settled system and don't think 3 at the back suits us at all, but I do sympathize (a bit) with TM with regards formation changes as I think he is facing the challenges below:

-Finding a spot for the returning Lenihan in the 11 (one of the best performers last season).

-Trying to get Armstrong playing more centrally without dropping Graham who's scoring regularly.

-Introducing Amari Bell into the 11 without dropping Williams, who has his failings but still seems to merit a place in TM's eyes.

-Having to accommodate our best player in Dack who can't play in a 2 in midfield.

With that said, in my view is he needs to be a bit more ruthless and have confidence in this squads ability to be beat anybody in this league, without overcomplicating the selection to compensate for the opposition's strengths.

Forget the back 3, it hasn't worked and whilst Bell seems to have the attributes, on paper, to be a decent wing back it clearly doesn't work on grass.  IMO he'd be more effective attacking from deep, overlapping an advanced left sided attacker.  Neither Nyambe or Bennett are capable of playing right wing back either.  He was delighted with Mulgrew and Lenihan in as the central defensive pairing last season (evidenced here > https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/may/they-give-us-a-solid-base-to-work-from/)  ... so why not just go with them as the pairing again now?  Downing has proved capable but he was only ever signed as Lenihan cover and Williams doesn't merit a start at CB. 

My team, therefore would be:

(4-2-3-1)

Raya

Nyambe     Lenihan    Mulgrew     Bell

Bennett    Smallwood

Payne        Dack        Armstong

Graham

Antonsson off the bench for Graham and move Armstrong up top for a different dynamic should the game need it.

I'll go for a 2-1 win on Saturday.  Armstrong and Dack to score.

I like that line up.

On the way to the match...has to rest Smallwood for me, way too risky losing him for the Wigan game. Would be tempted to go with Bennett and Lenihan central, with Graham, Dack, and then any 2 of Payne, Armstrong or Antonsson to make up the other attacking spots.

Just hope we go for it from kick off and Evans is nowhere near the starting lineup!

Having watched the 2nd half against Bury, my feeling is that Payne should be played in a central midfield partnership with Smallwood, rather than on the right. The entire time he was on the pitch he was almost always roaming the space in the centre of the pitch and all his best plays came through the middle. He was so central that we were pretty much playing with no one on the right wing. I could also see him sitting quite deep most of the time, often in line with Smallwood. He looks like a natural playmaker to me due to his movement and passing ability, and think he's absolutely wasted out wide.

Dack injured? What Evans did to warrant a start today is beyond me. That goes for Williams too. Bell for Williams and Antonsson for Evans and I would be happy. Dont think we will create much with no wingers and zero creativity from Smallwood/Evans._

Big challenges for Payne to fill the Dack role, Williams to be rock steady keeping Bell out, and Smallwood not getting booked given he will have to cover for Evans.

Surprised at neither Whittingham nor Tomlinson even making the bench in the absence of Dack.

Just now, philipl said:

Big challenges for Payne to fill the Dack role, Williams to be rock steady keeping Bell out, and Smallwood not getting booked given he will have to cover for Evans.

Surprised at neither Whittingham nor Tomlinson even making the bench in the absence of Dack.

Whittingham is still injured 

Archived