BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

If Raya is going to come out for crosses where the ball is being vigorously contested, why doesn't he punch it with his fist as hard as possible? Either that or stay on his line.

He has no hope of catching it.

Its not lack of confidence because he does the same thing over and over again and its costing us goals.He doesn't exactly "flap" because the ball just seems to brush the ends of his fingers and continues on its way with him effectively out of the game. If he can't see that for himself why isn't somebody on his case?

Great shot-stopper but this aspect of his game has to change if he's to make it.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 47er said:

If Raya is going to come out for crosses where the ball is being vigorously contested, why doesn't he punch it with his fist as hard as possible? Either that or stay on his line.

Its not lack of confidence because he does the same thing over and over again and its costing us goals.He doesn't exactly "flap" because the ball just seems to brush the ends of his fingers and continues on its way with him effectively out of the game. If he can't see that for himself why isn't somebody on his case?

Great shot-stopper but this aspect of his game has to change if he's to make it.

I think that because he has been around for so long that we forget just how young Raya is and inexperience tends to go with mistakes in terms of goalkeepers.  Outfield players can often get away with mistakes whereas 'keepers are usually punished.  However, over the course of this season Raya has saved us more points than he's lost with some terrific goalkeeping.  I agree that he needs to work on dealing with crosses but this seems to be a problem with many goalkeepers these days.  They either stand rooted to the line - as Steele did on so many occasions - and are powerless when the ball flies past them or they try to come and claim it with mixed results.  There were times when he came and cleared or caught the ball yesterday and there were times when he came and failed to do either.  I totally agree that fisting the ball clear seems the better option, particularly when surrounded by players, but I suspect the "modern" coaching manuals will no doubt say something different.  

Any away win is a great win.  

We will get some thumping (pleasing wins) but we have to accept most will be a real scrap.  Our brilliant away support makes it a big match for the home team so they will be up for it. 

If we win all games 2-1, I’d take that!  We just need to get up!

So proud of the wonderful Rovers fans yesterday.

Can anyone help me out with the missing line in this great song?

Mowbray had a dream

To build a football team

??????????????????

Mulgrew at the back

Dack in attack,

We're Blackburn Rovers

And we're on our way back.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

In yesterday's match he was overstretched and watching it closely on a replay it was more fingertips than palm and therefore didn't get any purchase on it. Dealing with balls into the box is a real problem area for him and I have little faith in him in this respect. His kicking is suspect too but not as much an area for concern as dealing with crosses. It's a shame really because his shot stopping is up there with the best. Another area I have had a concern about was coming off his line to deal with balls in behind the centre backs. In the second half yesterday he was really good at this as demonstrated on several occasions.

I would still term him as promising with lots to learn.

42 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Mowbray had a dream

To build a football team

We didn’t have anyone so signed some players on loan

Mulgrew at the back

Dack in attack,

We're Blackburn Rovers

That’s what it sounded like in the bit of the ground where I was sat, not 100% though!

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In yesterday's match he was overstretched and watching it closely on a replay it was more fingertips than palm and therefore didn't get any purchase on it. Dealing with balls into the box is a real problem area for him and I have little faith in him in this respect. His kicking is suspect too but not as much an area for concern as dealing with crosses. It's a shame really because his shot stopping is up there with the best. Another area I have had a concern about was coming off his line to deal with balls in behind the centre backs. In the second half yesterday he was really good at this as demonstrated on several occasions.

I would still term him as promising with lots to learn.

Not sure either just how "commanding" our defenders are on crosses. Easier to stay on the line IF our defenders were a little more dominant in the air.

49 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Mowbray had a dream

To build a football team

??????????????????

Mulgrew at the back

Dack in attack,

We're Blackburn Rovers

When I first heard it I thought the words were with three at the back instead of Mulgrew at the back.

I wondered then if the song was copyright Chaddy and Mowbray. ?

Just now, Roverthechimp said:

Not sure either just how "commanding" our defenders are on crosses. Easier to stay on the line IF our defenders were a little more dominant in the air.

Most defenders would expect a keeper to catch the ball or get purchase on it once they come. He must think he can do either when he leaves his line.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Mowbray had a dream

To build a football team

??????????????????

Mulgrew at the back

Dack in attack,

We're Blackburn Rovers

Mowbray had a dream

To build our football team 

He had no money so he signed some players on loooooan 

He plays from the back

With dack in attack

Were blackburn rovers were on our way back

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

"Mulgrew at the back" was definitely in there yesterday....in the St Francis stand anyway

Well its wrong lol, those are the proper words mate, although suppose you could use those words. Weve sang it many times, started at Preston under lambert, its a sheff weds song. 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Payne was our best player when we were on top in the first half. Lots of the better things we did involved him. When we were under the cosh he didn't get on the ball as much but in fairness a lot of the ball flew over his head.

He will be an asset over the next twelve games if we are on the front foot.

Totally agree, I thought he was excellent finding space and driving at the Walsall defence.

Also think Raya is getting a bad press on their goal. He isn't the main issue at our weakness from set pieces, it's the fact we have no dominant ball winner in the air. He obviously felt he needed to come for the ball yesterday but , for me, it'd have been better dealt with by one of the defenders with him staying at home.

24 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Most defenders would expect a keeper to catch the ball or get purchase on it once they come. He must think he can do either when he leaves his line.

Agreed but does he feel obliged to come as our defenders aren't dominant in the air :P 

To quote a famous (fictitious) politician "faults on both sides" :D

Archived