BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

35 minutes ago, AAK said:

Well its wrong lol, those are the proper words mate, although suppose you could use those words. Weve sang it many times, started at Preston under lambert, its a sheff weds song. 

Ah! That explains it. The Wednesday supporters have always been the best in making up songs, even back in the 1960s.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
16 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

While we're solving the song lyrics and the tunes to which they're sung, can someone please put me out of my misery? What is the inspiration for the Richie Smallwood song?

I thought it was a terrace original until I heard it in a shop a few weeks ago.

First time I heard it it was sung by Chelsea fans about Bakayoko

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I think that because he has been around for so long that we forget just how young Raya is and inexperience tends to go with mistakes in terms of goalkeepers.  Outfield players can often get away with mistakes whereas 'keepers are usually punished.  However, over the course of this season Raya has saved us more points than he's lost with some terrific goalkeeping.  I agree that he needs to work on dealing with crosses but this seems to be a problem with many goalkeepers these days.  They either stand rooted to the line - as Steele did on so many occasions - and are powerless when the ball flies past them or they try to come and claim it with mixed results.  There were times when he came and cleared or caught the ball yesterday and there were times when he came and failed to do either.  I totally agree that fisting the ball clear seems the better option, particularly when surrounded by players, but I suspect the "modern" coaching manuals will no doubt say something different.  

I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought Raya would benefit from a coach who has been around and got the scars to prove it, a Bobby Mimms type.

Would be interested in your views on that, no offence to Mr Benson as I don't know much about him but he's mid twenties and never been a professional footballer I'm not sure he can fully guide a young lad in the arts of goalkeeping 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry but dont know you were impress by Payne. Barely did owt all game. 

I would sign him up as he a talent. But alot of developing needed. 

Raya will be good keeper

Payne ran the first half with his movement, very clever footballer.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

What formation did we play first half? I missed the game and intrigued what we were playing when performing well.

Did Mowbray change it second half?

First half 4-2-3-1 and the second half until Bell came on in 79 mins then went 3-4-2-1 for rest of the game

18 hours ago, Butty said:

Compare David De Gea when he first joined United and the level he's at now. He looked like a scrawny teenager, he got bullied on set pieces and made a load of errors and was slated in his first season but you could see he had ability and potential when he would pull off the odd wonder save and look at the guy now! He's filled out, he's grown up and he's arguably the best keeper in the world. That save against Sevilla the other night, wow. Listen, I'm not for a minute comparing Raya with De Gea but you've got to give young keepers time to make mistakes and learn and mature as a man and a player. If Raya had shown nothing to suggest he could develop into a good keeper then fair enough but for me, he's definitely got ability and the potential to develop so I'm not going to write the kid off yet. I think he could be a top top keeper one day. 

Not sure how thats irrelevant, De Gea is a one of a kind example, not sure you can use it as an example.

Raya has made too many mistakes this season, more than anyone else in our team that have directly lead to goals. Im not saying hes not got talent, but hes too raw to put a run together without a major mistake, occasional ones are acceptable but not the amount that he makes. If we go up, Id suggest us getting a steady keeper and loaning him out, hes very raw and we could do with him making these mistakes but not on our watch, if he continues to make these mistakes at a higher level we will struggle to pick up points in spite of it around higher opposition. 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? Dont think so Jim. 

The talent there deffo and Mowbray would develop him into a good player. But the way you talking you think he was Messi or something.He aint. 

But he isnt Dack and not strong enough. Better wide Right for me. 

Lucky to have him? I would say not really, players like Mulgrew, Graham, Dack, Bennett are players we lucky to have. 

How is Bennett in that list :lol: Mulgrew, a dozen goals from defence, captain and leader, best left foot in the league, set piece taker. Dack, again numerous goals and assists, runs most games, Graham, regular goalscorer, focal point in our attacks. Bennett no goals, a couple of assists, tries his best, good on twitter, throws his shirt to the fans.

I'll mention it again, mentally weak.  We are not winners in our heads.  It will be our undoing in the run in.  Shrewsbury seem to have it.  All is rosy when we are in top it seems like we lose it when we are under threat, wenneed to be able to dig in.  That said we did get the job done now we have to di it again against Wimbledon no easy task.  Fingers crossed but I think we will drop points.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How is Bennett in that list :lol: Mulgrew, a dozen goals from defence, captain and leader, best left foot in the league, set piece taker. Dack, again numerous goals and assists, runs most games, Graham, regular goalscorer, focal point in our attacks. Bennett no goals, a couple of assists, tries his best, good on twitter, throws his shirt to the fans.

Bennett does a lot more than that. He drives the team on, does some superb defensive work and gets a grip of the game which allows the likes of Dack to shine.

34 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I'll mention it again, mentally weak.  We are not winners in our heads.  It will be our undoing in the run in.  Shrewsbury seem to have it.  All is rosy when we are in top it seems like we lose it when we are under threat, wenneed to be able to dig in.  That said we did get the job done now we have to di it again against Wimbledon no easy task.  Fingers crossed but I think we will drop points.

Not sure what you base that on. We've got better and better on that front as the season has gone on.

The only game this year where we have conceded late on was Rotherham away which, in hindsight, was a good point.

So far this year we have fought back against Oldham, fought back against Northampton, hung on for win against Walsall, scored late winners at Pompey and Fleetwood and won a 'must win' game against Shrewsbury who did seemed to bottle it on the day.

That we concede sloppy goals is the problem.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Bennett does a lot more than that. He drives the team on, does some superb defensive work and gets a grip of the game which allows the likes of Dack to shine.

Theres no way hes up with the other 3.

Im not saying hes not got his uses, but surely Im not the only one who, considering some of the goals he scored last year, that hes not posed an attacking threat all season, in a lower league, baring in mind hes played most of it wide right?

Smallwoods primary role in the team is to be the main defensive midfielder, hes had a much better season at doing his job compared to Bennett.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Jack Payne 7 - Impressed in the first-half, claiming an assist, and filled the big shoes of Bradley Dack well before drifting out of the game

Rich Sharpe's assessment of Payne.

Sounds from most sources like he did well all round. Good to know we have cover for Dack if we have to miss him for any spell. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Theres no way hes up with the other 3.

Im not saying hes not got his uses, but surely Im not the only one who, considering some of the goals he scored last year, that hes not posed an attacking threat all season, in a lower league, baring in mind hes played most of it wide right?

Smallwoods primary role in the team is to be the main defensive midfielder, hes had a much better season at doing his job compared to Bennett.

It's a bit like criticising Savage for not scoring and for not creating. Like Savage, Bennett brings different qualities to the team.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's a bit like criticising Savage for not scoring and for not creating. Like Savage, Bennett brings different qualities to the team.

No its not, he played most games on the wing, so as one of the attacking 4. He scored 4 screamers in the second half of last season when we were playing much better opposition. 

I appreciate he has other attributes, my stand alone point is that you can appreciate that whilst still wanting something going forward.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11266375/walsall-1-2-blackburn

Payne looks pretty good from those highlights. Good ball out wide to Bennett to cross back in which Payne then puts on a plate for Graham, and then a great ball that puts Armstrong clean through and he hits the bar. That ball to AA was Sellars-esque.  

I'm not sure of Parsons assertion that Raya has saved us more points than he's cost us. He' must be nearing double figures for the number of goals he's given away due to flapping at or dropping crosses. All the oppo do is surround him on corners and then let him flap away. He obliges every time.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/february/the-fans-were-the-stars-and-we-got-there-together/

Backed by 2,779 supporters in the Midlands, it was the biggest ever away following for a competitive fixture at Walsall's home ground.

Now, how's about that free coach travel to an away game or two as a thank you to those that have filled the away ends all season?

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/february/the-fans-were-the-stars-and-we-got-there-together/

Backed by 2,779 supporters in the Midlands, it was the biggest ever away following for a competitive fixture at Walsall's home ground.

Now, how's about that free coach travel to an away game or two as a thank you to those that have filled the away ends all season?

Charlton last game of the season would be good 

38 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11266375/walsall-1-2-blackburn

Payne looks pretty good from those highlights. Good ball out wide to Bennett to cross back in which Payne then puts on a plate for Graham, and then a great ball that puts Armstrong clean through and he hits the bar. That ball to AA was Sellars-esque.  

I'm not sure of Parsons assertion that Raya has saved us more points than he's cost us. He' must be nearing double figures for the number of goals he's given away due to flapping at or dropping crosses. All the oppo do is surround him on corners and then let him flap away. He obliges every time.

Which still leaves me wondering as to why our defenders aren't protecting him? Put Nelsen and Samba in front of him and he'd instantly look like a better keeper... ?

Archived