BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

27 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/february/the-fans-were-the-stars-and-we-got-there-together/

Backed by 2,779 supporters in the Midlands, it was the biggest ever away following for a competitive fixture at Walsall's home ground.

Now, how's about that free coach travel to an away game or two as a thank you to those that have filled the away ends all season?

With those kinds of numbers, supply and demand says they don’t need to. But it would be a great gesture if the club did reward the away following.

Wonder how many of them are ‘away only’ or even NAPM? It’s a great way for them to get their football fix but it’s certainly been at the expense of a cavernous hole in the home atmosphere. Seemingly the away fans didn’t stop singing all game yesterday. We can barely muster a note at home.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Sounds from most sources like he did well all round. Good to know we have cover for Dack if we have to miss him for any spell. 

Only one 'source' has said Payne didn't play well. He'll be in all sorts of trouble if Parson comes on and says he played well too...could be looking at a record time for a U turn.

34 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Which still leaves me wondering as to why our defenders aren't protecting him? Put Nelsen and Samba in front of him and he'd instantly look like a better keeper... ?

Cos aerially, we haven't got defenders of that ilk. The whole defence isnt great on high balls. 

Easter Monday, April 2nd when we play MK Dons away should be interesting. We could receive anything from 5-10k tickets if the demand is there. Could/should be one of our biggest away followings ever for a league fixture. The club should be marketing this one well in advance and may be discounting coach travel or having some sort of offer on the price of match day tickets. 

Hi guys just a quick one from me..

First of all I would like to say I thought your fans were excellent in terms of noise and numbers..best seen down here for a while so fair play to you on that!

As for the game I thought you deserved to win overall and were the better side for about 60-70 minutes..we were so poor in the first half even by our standards that we pretty much gave you a 2 goal head start before we even attempted to play..I thought we had the better of the second half but you visibly dropped off...good luck for the rest of the season,head and shoulders above anything in this league in my opinion! Have a good one.

2 minutes ago, Saddler27 said:

Hi guys just a quick one from me..

First of all I would like to say I thought your fans were excellent in terms of noise and numbers..best seen down here for a while so fair play to you on that!

As for the game I thought you deserved to win overall and were the better side for about 60-70 minutes..we were so poor in the first half even by our standards that we pretty much gave you a 2 goal head start before we even attempted to play..I thought we had the better of the second half but you visibly dropped off...good luck for the rest of the season,head and shoulders above anything in this league in my opinion! Have a good one.

Much classier than those Shrews down the road. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Wonder how many of them are ‘away only’ or even NAPM? It’s a great way for them to get their football fix but it’s certainly been at the expense of a cavernous hole in the home atmosphere. Seemingly the away fans didn’t stop singing all game yesterday. We can barely muster a note at home.

Your right Stuart,these raucous,vociferous away fans surely can't be attending the Ewood Morgue can they?

As Delia would crow 'WHERE ARE YOU! WHERE ARE YOU!!' :huh:

7 minutes ago, Saddler27 said:

As for the game I thought you deserved to win overall and were the better side for about 60-70 minutes..

You’re being very kind there pal. We were the better side for 45 minutes but not a minute more. How we held on, I’ll never know. However, if you’ve read through the thread, you will see that two of our players were throwing up at half time after a bout of sickness swept through part of the camp. Good luck for the rest of the season.

12 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Your right Stuart,these raucous,vociferous away fans surely can't be attending the Ewood Morgue can they?

As Delia would crow 'WHERE ARE YOU! WHERE ARE YOU!!' :huh:

We'd been on the ale since 9am yesterday and suspect many were in the same boat, always adds to the atmosphere without a doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

We'd been on the ale since 9am yesterday and suspect many were in the same boat, always adds to the atmosphere without a doubt. 

There are still a few pubs left in Blackburn. ;) 

While crosses are the weakest part of Raya’s game, I think it’s a tad unfair to pin their goal entirely on him; it’s not like he dropped it on the goal line. Better if he’d have caught it obviously but there were a lot of bodies there and he did get something on it, taking it out of the penalty area. Whoever was out back wasn’t alive to it, giving their guy a free cross, and the defending of the ball in was pathetic. Graham idly flicking his leg up backwards in his own six-yard box is a bit of a contrast with Hendry heading one rolling on the ground or stopping a pile-driver with his nads. Weak all-round.

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Aye but it's highly doubtful they'll be full at 9am

Dunno. The Postal Order has a dawn chorus! :lol: 

Although, it’s self-defeating to say that pubs aren’t full. If the away crowds fuelled up and went to Ewood they would be. They might even reinvigorate the pub scene.

(Tongue firmly in cheek btw)

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11266375/walsall-1-2-blackburn

Payne looks pretty good from those highlights. Good ball out wide to Bennett to cross back in which Payne then puts on a plate for Graham, and then a great ball that puts Armstrong clean through and he hits the bar. That ball to AA was Sellars-esque.  

I'm not sure of Parsons assertion that Raya has saved us more points than he's cost us. He' must be nearing double figures for the number of goals he's given away due to flapping at or dropping crosses. All the oppo do is surround him on corners and then let him flap away. He obliges every time.

I’m sorry blueboy but Raya made many more saves yesterday than I’ve seen on any highlight reel. In the second half he made three saves that you cannot expect your keeper to make.

He is not the finished article yet but I’ll be amazed if in 3 yrs time he isn’t plying his trade in a top division either in England or abroad.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I have never had so much fun since the seventies my throught  is still sore but I will go into work tomorrow with such a big smile on my face

So did i ...i have been to nearly every away ground in all the divisions following just one team Blackburn Rovers in my 43 years of supporting them .

I am 57 now and i dont stop singing at away games just as i dont when the signing starts at home games ,in my opinion yesterday the support got the team over the line in that second half  ,there was a heartbeat in the support yesterday that only those that have been there in the previous promotion charges will know ,lets just hope that the great away support we have had this season proves to be a major factor in us going up be it the automatic spot  or via the play offs....

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Easter Monday, April 2nd when we play MK Dons away should be interesting. We could receive anything from 5-10k tickets if the demand is there. Could/should be one of our biggest away followings ever for a league fixture. The club should be marketing this one well in advance and may be discounting coach travel or having some sort of offer on the price of match day tickets. 

Couldn't agree more CLB, depending on results this could be a massive following and another great day out.

2 minutes ago, den9112 said:

So did i ...i have been to nearly every away ground in all the divisions following just one team Blackburn Rovers in my 43 years of supporting them .

I am 57 now and i dont stop singing at away games just as i dont when the signing starts at home games ,in my opinion yesterday the support got the team over the line in that second half  ,there was a heartbeat in the support yesterday that only those that have been there in the previous promotion charges will know ,lets just hope that the great away support we have had this season proves to be a major factor in us going up be it the automatic spot  or via the play offs....

Been following your posts on here den and you're a credit to the club.

The away support has been phenomenal this season and I have nothing but the upmost respect for everyone that has followed the club up and down the country over the past 8yrs.

Just goes to show the rats in Pune will never win, the clubs much bigger that. 

On 24/02/2018 at 21:44, Butty said:

Compare David De Gea when he first joined United and the level he's at now. He looked like a scrawny teenager, he got bullied on set pieces and made a load of errors and was slated in his first season but you could see he had ability and potential when he would pull off the odd wonder save and look at the guy now! He's filled out, he's grown up and he's arguably the best keeper in the world. That save against Sevilla the other night, wow. Listen, I'm not for a minute comparing Raya with De Gea but you've got to give young keepers time to make mistakes and learn and mature as a man and a player. If Raya had shown nothing to suggest he could develop into a good keeper then fair enough but for me, he's definitely got ability and the potential to develop so I'm not going to write the kid off yet. I think he could be a top top keeper one day. 

David and Spanish are where the similarities end mate 

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

While crosses are the weakest part of Raya’s game, I think it’s a tad unfair to pin their goal entirely on him; it’s not like he dropped it on the goal line. Better if he’d have caught it obviously but there were a lot of bodies there and he did get something on it, taking it out of the penalty area. Whoever was out back wasn’t alive to it, giving their guy a free cross, and the defending of the ball in was pathetic. Graham idly flicking his leg up backwards in his own six-yard box is a bit of a contrast with Hendry heading one rolling on the ground or stopping a pile-driver with his nads. Weak all-round.

Just watched it again. Didn’t go out of the area but Payne was much slower in reacting to the second ball than the player he was supposedly marking. Three sloppy moments one after another.

55 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

David and Spanish are where the similarities end mate 

I wasn't saying there was any similarities between the two. I was more making the point that you've got to give young keepers time to mature and develop and Raya for me has shown enough to be given that time, if we were to drop him now think how much that would effect his confidence. Jake Kean once looked like being a good keeper, then he was dropped and never recovered from it and his confidence was shot. He's now at Grimsby on loan. 

17 minutes ago, Butty said:

I wasn't saying there was any similarities between the two. I was more making the point that you've got to give young keepers time to mature and develop and Raya for me has shown enough to be given that time, if we were to drop him now think how much that would effect his confidence. Jake Kean once looked like being a good keeper, then he was dropped and never recovered from it and his confidence was shot. He's now at Grimsby on loan. 

He needs a mixture of time AND coaching.

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I like Briggsyboy, he's quite posh.

Very good Vlogger and the lad had it posted quite soon after the game. Impressed.

At 7.50 mins a behind the goal view of the Walsall goal and Raya's error. His jump barely gets him off the ground and he reaches the ball with a hand that is no higher than the Walsall players head.

There can only be one result and he palms it a few yards direct to a Walsall player.

Awful goalkeeping and a reason why I do not want the playoffs.

It's L1 and there will be crosses into the box and we are poor at defending them, and not just Raya.

I know he's a very good shot stopper, that is not the point at issue.

He is a professional keeper and whilst still young has been coached for years already. I think it is down to poor coaching and decision making.

His decison making will improve with experience, I hope the coaching quality does too.

10 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Just watched it again. Didn’t go out of the area but Payne was much slower in reacting to the second ball than the player he was supposedly marking. Three sloppy moments one after another.

A bit harsh on Payne. The ball was going at speed away from Payne and direct to the Walsall player.

However our defenders should have done better, it's not the first time this scenario has happended.

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How is Bennett in that list :lol: Mulgrew, a dozen goals from defence, captain and leader, best left foot in the league, set piece taker. Dack, again numerous goals and assists, runs most games, Graham, regular goalscorer, focal point in our attacks. Bennett no goals, a couple of assists, tries his best, good on twitter, throws his shirt to the fans.

Bennett's work rate is excellent, leadership, defensively positional is good, offer plenty going forward tbf but assist stats are misleading. Yes he might not scored this season but its like we lack goals in the team is it? 

Archived