BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

We really are a Jekyll and Hyde of a football team this season. To be on top, cruising and in absolute control against a poor team and nearly throw it away would have been criminal but we almost contrived to do it. So many plusses in the first 40 minutes and the concession of a corner after giving possession up cheaply lead to a goal that was almost a game changer. That goal changed both managers half time team talk I guess as we had a desperate look about us for long periods in the second half as the good ball retention we showed earlier disappeared and at times we just played percentage football. I firmly believe that against a better team than Walsall that second half performance would have seen us lose.

Substance over style anytime for me in the quest for wins but that second half no show should give Mowbray plenty to ponder over before a tough match on Tuesday.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Butty said:

Compare David De Gea when he first joined United and the level he's at now. He looked like a scrawny teenager, he got bullied on set pieces and made a load of errors and was slated in his first season but you could see he had ability and potential when he would pull off the odd wonder save and look at the guy now! He's filled out, he's grown up and he's arguably the best keeper in the world. That save against Sevilla the other night, wow. Listen, I'm not for a minute comparing Raya with De Gea but you've got to give young keepers time to make mistakes and learn and mature as a man and a player. If Raya had shown nothing to suggest he could develop into a good keeper then fair enough but for me, he's definitely got ability and the potential to develop so I'm not going to write the kid off yet. I think he could be a top top keeper one day. 

These weak punch clearances from Raya can be improved on not only from himself but the rest of the team should be coached into clearing the next phase through positional and anticipational play.

Great day today even if it was a little nervy in the 2nd half. Really enjoyed the first 44 minutes.

Not sure why Graham has to come off after 60 minutes in most matches. He didn't look tired. Today he was the focal point of everything good about our first half.

He was winning headers, holding the ball up , laying it off and bringing others in to play and scored 2 goals. He was brilliant.

When he went off we had no target when in possession and nobody was showing for the ball. we lost our composure and shape and started to panic.

I'm sure he can manage a full game sometimes and I think we would have been more comfortable in the later stages with him on the pitch.  

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Great day today even if it was a little nervy in the 2nd half. Really enjoyed the first 44 minutes.

Not sure why Graham has to come off after 60 minutes in most matches. He didn't look tired. Today he was the focal point of everything good about our first half.

He was winning headers, holding the ball up , laying it off and bringing others in to play and scored 2 goals. He was brilliant.

When he went off we had no target when in possession and nobody was showing for the ball. we lost our composure and shape and started to panic.

I'm sure he can manage a full game sometimes and I think we would have been more comfortable in the later stages with him on the pitch.  

Mowbray has said both Bennett and Graham were being violently sick at half time, that's bound to take its toll on any athlete 

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

Mowbray has said both Bennett and Graham were being violently sick at half time, that's bound to take its toll on any athlete 

Oh ok, didn't hear about that. Best game  I've seen Graham play for a long time. Maybe he should be ill more often!

However, there does seem to be some unwritten rule that he never plays more than 60 minutes. 

Thought he was awesome today and looked really relaxed, just a class act.

!

5 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

He spent all 15 minutes t half time throwing up.

There is a bug going through the Rovers squad.

My nerves will be shot to buggery by the end of this season. On the pattern of play at 2-0 up I was half thinking it was going to be the day we finally massacre a team. A clanger before half time and boy that changed. Barely got out of our half in the second half. 

Was an 8 hours round trip on the train. Or 15 hrs 30 mins door to door with a 07:30 depart and home by 23:00. But with 3 points and still top was all worth it. 

Although I wasn’t exactly flavour of the month when got home. “You said it’s 2 hours to Walsall from here. I could have been home quicker if I went to Warsaw, etc.” Technically it is 2hrs in a car must have left the train and all dayer bit out. Ooops. No doubt there’s plans afoot to make Sunday as difficult as possible for me.

Still all worth it. 

What a day. 

Can't actually remember the last time following rovers felt this good and the appreciation from the team every time is just brilliant. 

Must admit I didn't even realise they'd scored as I'd looked away for a minute and didn't hear a cheer just some daft music. 

I wasn't really worried about conceding second half, they are a terrible team. If we had I think we could have raised our game to get another quite easily. 

11 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

I think Raya will develop into an excellent keeper as he matures! Really impressed with Payne, I hope we can sign him!

Sorry but dont know you were impress by Payne. Barely did owt all game. 

I would sign him up as he a talent. But alot of developing needed. 

Raya will be good keeper

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry but dont know you were impress by Payne. Barely did owt all game. 

I would sign him up as he a talent. But alot of developing needed. 

Raya will be good keeper

He ran the first half. Great movement, passing and his cushioned header set up the winning goal. Second half went missing but so did a few! 

Just now, Biz said:

He ran the first half. Great movement, passing and his cushioned header set up the winning goal. Second half went missing but so did a few! 

Not for me, Poor, lightweight. 

We should have took him off soon in Second Half.

We badly missed Dack

Bennett put a couple of good crosses first half. 

But we won and thats all that matters right now

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I really hope we can confine this sickness bug to a few members of the squad....wrong time for this to be happening!

Like most of the country we've had a bug running through the camp since December SG, Mulgrew missed the Northampton game through illness which signalled the start of it, but we seem to have coped well enough so far.

We call players soft, pampered etc and often with good reason, but it takes a certain type to be ill and play, if anyone's had this illness they'll know how rotten it makes you feel, so all credit to them.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

You've had a downer on Payne since we signed him. The lad's a real talent. We're lucky to have him. 

I've had a " downer " on a few players in the past but before every game I tried to give them a clean sheet. It's foolish to try and evaluate a players performance when you have preconceived prejudices. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

You've had a downer on Payne since we signed him. The lad's a real talent. We're lucky to have him. 

Really? Dont think so Jim. 

The talent there deffo and Mowbray would develop him into a good player. But the way you talking you think he was Messi or something.He aint. 

But he isnt Dack and not strong enough. Better wide Right for me. 

Lucky to have him? I would say not really, players like Mulgrew, Graham, Dack, Bennett are players we lucky to have. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Payne was our best player when we were on top in the first half. Lots of the better things we did involved him. When we were under the cosh he didn't get on the ball as much but in fairness a lot of the ball flew over his head.

He will be an asset over the next twelve games if we are on the front foot.

Just now, yeti-dog said:

I was with you Chaddy until you mentioned Bennett - I thought he was really poor against Bury - summed up by that atrocious throw-in.

Just watched the goals on the Sky highlights. That first cross from Bennett, what was that all about  ? It was massively over hit and we did well to keep the ball in play. The second cross was much better.

Archived