BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Protest @ EFL HQ

Neal

Hello all. Hope you're enjoying the season. The Blackpool fans have arranged a protest at EFL HQ in Preston on Friday 2nd of March at 3pm. I've been asked by some Blackpool fans to put the feelers out. I'll be attending in blue and white colours. 

Hope to see you there. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Neal said:

Hello all. Hope you're enjoying the season. The Blackpool fans have arranged a protest at EFL HQ in Preston on Friday 2nd of March at 3pm. I've been asked by some Blackpool fans to put the feelers out. I'll be attending in blue and white colours. 

Hope to see you there. 

I can understand Blackpool fans doing it,but I feel Rovers fans should put it on the backburner until the summer at least... 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can understand Blackpool fans doing it,but I feel Rovers fans should put it on the backburner until the summer at least... 

All due respect BDS why does our league position have any bearing on a Rovers fan attending a protest aimed at the EFL and its rules around club ownership?

The protest is for a change in rules for ALL clubs, not just ours. It's something all fans should get behind to stop a Coventry, Blackpool, Blackburn etc happening to another club.

26 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

All due respect BDS why does our league position have any bearing on a Rovers fan attending a protest aimed at the EFL and its rules around club ownership?

The protest is for a change in rules for ALL clubs, not just ours. It's something all fans should get behind to stop a Coventry, Blackpool, Blackburn etc happening to another club.

Exactly.

It's not a Venky's out protest, it won't disrupt a match it won't put the players off. What's the problem ?

Fans of all clubs are invited to attend and it's for football fans around the country. If folk are happy with the way EFL run the game then fair enough - stay away. Otherwise I would encourage all fans to attend. 

Not just a question of our league position, it is how the club is currently being run. All indicators seem to show that the club is now on a more stable footing. We can all dislike our owners, but over the past 10 months they have put up and shut up. They're paying the bills, they've backed the manager and allowed him to get on with things, and they've invested in the team. What more do you want in league one? 

We can continue to complain about how they directly caused our demise and current plight, but perhaps it is better than protests consist of clubs who are currently being mismanaged; otherwise, it just looks like a bunch of supporters who are unhappy that they aren't as big as they once were. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Not just a question of our league position, it is how the club is currently being run. All indicators seem to show that the club is now on a more stable footing. We can all dislike our owners, but over the past 10 months they have put up and shut up. They're paying the bills, they've backed the manager and allowed him to get on with things, and they've invested in the team. What more do you want in league one? 

We can continue to complain about how they directly caused our demise and current plight, but perhaps it is better than protests consist of clubs who are currently being mismanaged; otherwise, it just looks like a bunch of supporters who are unhappy that they aren't as big as they once were. 

You, like BDS, seemed to have completely missed the point.

The truth behind it is the "fit & proper test" isn't fit and proper. It needs real change to ensure clubs don't go through a scenario like the clubs mentioned - I'm sure Portsmouth fans are currently quite happy with how their club is being handled but it hasn't stopped them fighting for change.

I wouldn't be so quick to try and make this into a Venkys out protest. It isn't and never has been. It's organised by Blackpool's supporters club and its aim is to push the EFL to put more stringent regulations in place for owners that, clearly, aren't fit and proper. Fan representation at board level like in Germany is a big part of that.

I haven't missed the point. My point is, that for the past 10 months our owners have been fit and proper. 

I'm slightly reluctant to see our supporters poke the bear again. We can provide all the documents they need (as we already have done), make our case heard (as we already have done), and make sure that we can get as much publicity for what has gone on as we possibly can do (as we already have done). 

So actually, I guess I am missing the point: what's the point? These protests do nothing, they get 2 hours of coverage and most see them as fans who are unhappy that the club that they support isn't City. 

Just now, Eddie said:

I haven't missed the point. My point is, that for the past 10 months our owners have been fit and proper. 

I'm slightly reluctant to see our supporters poke the bear again. We can provide all the documents they need (as we already have done), make our case heard (as we already have done), and make sure that we can get as much publicity for what has gone on as we possibly can do (as we already have done). 

So actually, I guess I am missing the point: what's the point? These protests do nothing, they get 2 hours of coverage and most see them as fans who are unhappy that the club that they support isn't City. 

You really are missing the point. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There might well be glimpses that they are acting in a way which could, barely, describe them as fit and proper. However when they took over the club, 7 years ago, they passed the test that was meant to protect us as a club when they clearly weren't fit and proper to run a bath, let alone a football club.

Therein lies the issue. The system is failing clubs. It needs to change. Despite your apathetic view to protesting if fans believe a jaunt down to the EFL HQ on a Friday afternoon is going to further their cause then all respect to them.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So actually, I guess I am missing the point: what's the point? These protests do nothing, they get 2 hours of coverage and most see them as fans who are unhappy that the club that they support isn't City

The administration of football is not fit for purpose. This protest will not just be about owners but those who are charged with protecting our game and failing miserably in doing so. That is exactly the limp wristed white feather approach that allows the ruination of many football clubs up and down the country.

So what about Leyton Orient fans. Don't they deserve something in place so that they don't get owners like the last lot. Even if you believe venkys are doing right by us nothing stops them selling to people who could be corrupt and worse than them. Surly you can see the bigger picture than venkys are funding the club

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Did you join in any of the previous protests or boycotts?

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I assume that if our owners have been fit and proper for 10 months, then they have had 6 plus years, of not being so. So far, I haven't heard anyone of the owners, or even a spokesperson come out and explain, some of the extraordinary events, at our club over the last seven years. A few months of normal behaviour, can hardly paper over this can it?

24 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wouldn't put our ownership in the same category of either of those 2 personally. Our owners were naive by and large, the two other clubs you mention were owned by very different animals. I would support tighter restrictions on who can buy and run football clubs, but realistically nothing will change while the amount of money in football remains the same. Cash is king. 

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You, like BDS, seemed to have completely missed the point.

The truth behind it is the "fit & proper test" isn't fit and proper. It needs real change to ensure clubs don't go through a scenario like the clubs mentioned - I'm sure Portsmouth fans are currently quite happy with how their club is being handled but it hasn't stopped them fighting for change.

I wouldn't be so quick to try and make this into a Venkys out protest. It isn't and never has been. It's organised by Blackpool's supporters club and its aim is to push the EFL to put more stringent regulations in place for owners that, clearly, aren't fit and proper. Fan representation at board level like in Germany is a big part of that.

I didn't miss the point. I have highlighted you seconding my point. 

• Backroom

People said the club was being "run properly" when GB was in charge, then Coyle happened. The truth is our club still has a skeleton structure, a manager who has more on his plate than is necessary, debt that continues to rise and a fanbase still very much divided.

Every time we have a period of "stability" this strange perception seems to appear that Venky's have learned the error of their ways, they're actually really nice people who were just conned, etc etc. Totally ignoring history and their repeated middle fingers to to the entire fanbase. Suhail Pasha refused and refuses to attend a single fan meeting as the owners' representative, and it was only a year or so ago that Coar was threatening to take people to court for questioning his role at the club.

It's nice that the owners have employed somebody credible and aren't selling off our best players yet - but do I trust them? No. I will never trust them. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't put our ownership in the same category of either of those 2 personally. Our owners were naive by and large, the two other clubs you mention were owned by very different animals. I would support tighter restrictions on who can buy and run football clubs, but realistically nothing will change while the amount of money in football remains the same. Cash is king. 

I didn't miss the point. I have highlighted you seconding my point. 

Would you not? How strange. Why do you say that? Surely the category "bad owners" is exactly where we fit in, regardless of them fulfilling their obligations as business owners and paying the bills. Truth about that is they probably couldn't afford us to fold just as much as we don't want us too. They are hardly doing anything beyond their minimum duty.

I'm slightly confused how I seconded your point there. I was telling Eddie to not misunderstand this as a Venkys out protest; it's not that at all. Merely a bunch of concerned supporters protesting what is wrong with how the EFL is both ran and oversees club ownership around the country. Venkys, Oystons, SISU are all symptoms of a much, much bigger problem.

If Venkys really are fit and proper they would have no concerns with us, as fans, attending a protest to tighten the rules and ensure the safety of clubs around the country. Surely...

As a footnote though...what you are essentially saying in your final line is "I will support the aims of those supporters' groups but I won't commit myself to doing much about it because they don't have a winning chance"

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Paying the bills or building up more debt?

Investing in the team?  after flogging every player of any worth over the last 7 years.

Never trust a Venky

Just now, DE. said:

People said the club was being "run properly" when GB was in charge, then Coyle happened. The truth is our club still has a skeleton structure, a manager who has more on his plate than is necessary, debt that continues to rise and a fanbase still very much divided.

Every time we have a period of "stability" this strange perception seems to appear that Venky's have learned the error of their ways, they're actually really nice people who were just conned, etc etc. Totally ignoring history and their repeated middle fingers to to the entire fanbase. Suhail Pasha refused and refuses to attend a single fan meeting as the owners' representative, and it was only a year or so ago that Coar was threatening to take people to court for questioning his role at the club.

It's nice that the owners have employed somebody credible and aren't selling off our best players yet - but do I trust them? No. I will never trust them. 

I guess they could become unfit and unproper again, any time soon.

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Would you not? How strange. Why do you say that? Surely the category "bad owners" is exactly where we fit in, regardless of them fulfilling their obligations as business owners and paying the bills. Truth about that is they probably couldn't afford us to fold just as much as we don't want us too. They are hardly doing anything beyond their minimum duty.

I'm slightly confused how I seconded your point there. I was telling Eddie to not misunderstand this as a Venkys out protest; it's not that at all. Merely a bunch of concerned supporters protesting what is wrong with how the EFL is both ran and oversees club ownership around the country. Venkys, Oystons, SISU are all symptoms of a much, much bigger problem.

If Venkys really are fit and proper they would have no concerns with us, as fans, attending a protest to tighten the rules and ensure the safety of clubs around the country. Surely...

As a footnote though...what you are essentially saying in your final line is "I will support the aims of those supporters' groups but I won't commit myself to doing much about it because they don't have a winning chance"

My point was also not to misunderstand it is a Venkys out protest. Pretty simple really. 

I don't really see how a Rovers fan could square going without making it that mind 

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My point was also not to misunderstand it is a Venkys out protest. Pretty simple really. 

I don't really see how a Rovers fan could square going without making it that mind 

That's double dutch to me.

Obviously it's a protest against the EFL.

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The last 2 transfer windows 

And how were they significantly different to Bowyer's first 2 transfer windows? Remember signing Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, Conway and getting rid of Best, Etuhu and Campbell?

Archived