BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham away 17.3.18

JHRover

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gillingham left this decision far too late.  The fact that they were asking fans on their website last night to come and help clear the snow suggests they knew there might have been a problem.  We didn't hear until leaving the services at Watford Gap at around 11.30am so clearly they didn't make much effort before then to clear the snow.  This really was a shocking effort on their part.  

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

If there's no snow outside then there wouldn't be inside. Add the sickness bug and claims of those photos being from 2 weeks ago and we are down the rabbit hole.

It's Boro 96 all over again. 

Just now, DE. said:

It's Boro 96 all over again. 

At least Middlesbrough didn't hide behind their real reason or come up with pathetic weather excuses. Gillingham should be deducted points though I can't really say without being biased that Rovers should be awarded them. After all its based on what Gillingham have done not anything Rovers have earned. 1996 type of punishment seems fair though Rovers should ask for the points as well. Of course they won't because that would require competence and effort.

37 minutes ago, mrsusan said:

Just now, AllRoverAsia said: I cannot see any attempt to clear the snow no disrespect but I would take the word of a professional football club over that of some guy in sukumvit beer garden.

I take exception to your description of "professional" unless you mean the professional decision made because of sickness and injuries in the Gills dressing room.

57 minutes ago, Stuart said:

There’s something distinctly unprofessional about a club with an open stand who have to call of a football league match due to a bit of snow.

Snowflakes afraid of snowflakes!

To be fair as well as the world record snowfall and the scarcity of yard brushes in Kent, just seen a picture of a coke can blown over down there, so obviously a tornado present as well. Also sightings of Jadis the white witch on the not so temporary away stand , and Dorothy flying over the ground. Both of which featured in stories a lot more believable than Gillinghams reason for the postponement :)

What a shambles. I spent all that money on travel only for it to be called off. It would have been my 31st away ground too, meaning I was over the 1/3 barrier. 

I think the Football League should request the minutes of the safety meeting, which took place, with the appropriate sanction being put in place, should anything unsportsmanlike have taken place. 

What really annoys me is that Gillingham are the only team in the whole English league to have called their game off. What makes it worse is that they requested volunteers to clear the pitch on Friday. Why weren’t these volunteers requested for the stand? 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

That would be on Mowbray, absolutely no need for that to happen, chance to rest up and be fighting fit!

Wise to call it off if safety is a concern but could and should have been earlier 

Wise!

scandalous more like

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Final score now put it down to a frozen pitch.

Odd that literally no other pitch in the UK froze :huh: they could at least try and make their excuse plausible.

Well I've just got back home after an aborted trip.

16 intrepid Rovers fans were on the M25 approaching the Dartford Crossing when we received the news the game was off. It wasn't a surprise given the forecast but wtf didn't they call it off last night given the weather forecast? The best bet amongst us all was that we'd be 2 up at half time and then Trevor Kettle would call it off.

Joking aside, I'm seriously pi55ed off at the apparent disregard we have as fans, not just Rovers but in general.

Today's bus ride cost £498 for f*uck all but still has to be paid, there will be other independents either by train, bus or car that will have suffered similarly today when anyone with half a brain and with the weather forecast and where WE were housed, the game was likely to be off last night. 

Today's inconvenience and lack of consideration of proper fans, aligned to the reorganisation of the Peterborough home game without a by your leave, says it all for me.

I'm one pi55ed off fan who's significantly out of pocket.

Just now, darrenrover said:

Well I've just got back home after an aborted trip.

16 intrepid Rovers fans were on the M25 approaching the Dartford Crossing when we received the news the game was off. It wasn't a surprise given the forecast but wtf didn't they call it off last night given the weather forecast? The best bet amongst us all was that we'd be 2 up at half time and then Trevor Kettle would call it off.

Joking aside, I'm seriously pi55ed off at the apparent disregard we have as fans, not just Rovers but in general.

Today's bus ride cost £498 for f*uck all but still has to be paid, there will be other independents either by train, bus or car that will have suffered similarly today when anyone with half a brain and with the weather forecast and where WE were housed, the game was likely to be off last night. 

Today's inconvenience and lack of consideration of proper fans, aligned to the reorganisation of the Peterborough home game without a by your leave, says it all for me.

I'm one pi55ed off fan who's significantly out of pocket.

I feel for you darrenrover. You would hope that someone from the club speaks out and maybe registers a complaint with the ELF.

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

I feel for you darrenrover. You would hope that someone from the club speaks out and maybe registers a complain with the ELF.

Thanks Cherry Blue but sadly I won't hold my breath.

We all pay our dosh and have to suck it up when something adverse occurs.

It's not how it should be!!!

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Annoyed that BBC don't have the balls to tell the truth!

If this was Gillingham v Man United it would never have happened. 

I'm intrigued because we were informed that Rovers staff looked at the stand where Rovers' fans were due to be seated in and said it wasn't fit either initially or as weather deteriorated during the afternoon. That was the reason for the postponement, Is that correct?

That stand and an amber weather warning for snow issued by the Metoffice last night should have been sufficient to call the game off last night and save us all unnecessary expense. 

Somebody, somewhere should be accountable.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

If there's no snow outside then there wouldn't be inside. Add the sickness bug and claims of those photos being from 2 weeks ago and we are down the rabbit hole.

It's easy to check the age of a digital photo. I hope for their sake they haven't been telling porkies in order to profit off having the stomach bug going around.

44 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Thanks Cherry Blue but sadly I won't hold my breath.

We all pay our dosh and have to suck it up when something adverse occurs.

It's not how it should be!!!

The only good news is my advance payment for  dartford crossing charge is valid for 12 months.

Just now, den9112 said:

The only good news is my advance payment for  dartford crossing charge is valid for 12 months.

bully for you den9112.

If I'd have been in the car I wouldn't have paid either way either because it's on French plates, that's not the point.

People scoffing at today's situation are so out of touch:

I'm sure I speak for all that was in our party, it's not the fact the game was called off but when and what will be done to recompense everyone for their inconvenience and cost?

It's understandable games occasionally get postponed because of the weather but today is an absolute piss take.

Why was the game postponed?

The pitch didn't freeze after the couple of Gillingham fans turned up at 8am to take the covers off, did it?

Archived