Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham away 17.3.18

JHRover

• Backroom

Positives:

Didn't lose

Gillingham so poor that they couldn't take advantage of how bad we were

Negatives:

Pretty much everything else. A bad performance and Mowbray's subs ensured we would get nothing out of the game. TM has done well making subs recently, but tonight he took off two of our best players and replaced them with two of his absolute worst signings in Samuel and Whittingham, guaranteeing a 0-0 at best. Payne got some more time to prove he isn't Bradley Dack (who, to be fair, didn't do much either).

We played tonight like we're already promoted. A dangerous mindset. With our performances as of late we were inevitably going to drop points sooner rather than later, but at least tonight was only two dropped points as opposed to three. It did feel like we settled for a point once Graham and Dack were hauled off though. Not sure about that. The team did try until the bitter end but without Dack or Graham on the pitch there was zero attacking quality available. 

As an aside, at this point I think I'd rather have a kid from the u11's on the bench than Samuel. He's not even getting in positions to score, let alone putting the ball in the back of the net. I understand Tony wanting to give the lad a chance but you have to know when it's time to cut your losses. We're better off without him even as an option to bring on at this point.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, barry_ said:

why play Armstrong on the wing?

why bring on Samuel when he's done absolutely nothing since coming back from injury

why not play Bell after spending 300k on him

Why only play 1 up front

my opinion of TM hasn't changed since Oldham away... he is insipid, without passion and worries too much about err 'well drilled and organised' teams.

WARNING... SARCASM

Why bring Samuel on? Because we spent 300k+ on him maybe?

Why not play bell? Perhaps because he’s done nothing since being dropped?....

Weve played the 433/451 stuff for nearly 30 games now, with Armstrong picking up goals on the wing in that time and picked up 2 points + a game, so keep it up for me, I can deal with any “insipid” managers who achieve such feats.

Point isn’t end of the world, since promotion is the only aim and @blueboy3333 is spot on about 5 points on shrews. Still well in our hands.

Just now, OJRovers said:

We've got players performing in the u23s need to freshen it up. The likes of Conway, whitt, Evans, Samuel have had plenty of chances and done next to nothing all season.

Yep, Evans has done a ‘Corry Evans’ in having one or two standout performances before turning into an effortless crab once again. Get shot. 

• Backroom

Really disappointing to potentially lose our cushion and potentially see Wigan run free.

Still much better than a loss and that point could see goal difference being crucial at the end of the season.

If my maths is right I’m sure we can draw one and win the rest and be all but guaranteed of promotion on goal difference 

Just now, OJRovers said:

We've got players performing in the u23s need to freshen it up. The likes of Conway, whitt, Evans, Samuel have had plenty of chances and done next to nothing all season.

Not going to happen on Mowbray’s watch.

I was watching that game thinking, I wonder how Johnson would set our team up. Because last night and tonight were the complete opposite approach and almost opposite end results.

We are going to have to do this the hard way. Mowbray will not trust the youth and is more happy to play the likes of Whittingham and Samuel as we limp over the line.

He’d better bloody well get over it is all I can say.

Just now, Stuart said:

Well that was utter garbage.

I await the line up of people to tell us all about our precious unbeaten.

A good night for Shrewsbury.

Could have put season ending pressure on the Shrews but we bottled it.

I recall we all thought the fixture congestion would haunt Wigan. Seems to be hurting us more, based on recent performances. When our plan A team becomes fatigued, there's not much threat to change it up at present. 

Big test on Saturday. They will need to dig very very deep. 

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Dire just doesn't cut it. It was like a team of talentless strangers

Knackered talentless strangers.

Just now, Tom said:

Really disappointing to potentially lose our cushion and potentially see Wigan run free.

Still much better than a loss and that point could see goal difference being crucial at the end of the season.

If my maths is right I’m sure we can draw one and win the rest and be guaranteed of promotion 

No guarantees we will win four out of the next 5.

Very worried after Saturday and tonight.

Terrible game to watch, the only two players who did anything positive were Raya with a cracking save and a very alert 1-on-1 closing down and Charlie with two good free kicks.

4th clean sheet in 5 games, keep that up and we’ll go up. None of the forwards were at the races tonight which won’t happen very often, if at all in the next 5.

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Knackered talentless strangers.

No guarantees we will win four out of the next 5.

Very worried after Saturday and tonight.

I’m trying to console myself here, said last week if we won the next 2 we were halfway there, disappointing not to do so as the chance was there to turn the screw 

1 minute ago, AdamRochina said:

Dire performance and dosent bode well for the future games ..really don't think we are gonna get over the line 

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

If they win on Thursday though it’s squeaky bum time again. I know we’ve been near faultless for some time but we really, really need to pick the performances back up if we’re going to go up automatically. Pretty pathetic now for 2.5 games.

6 minutes ago, barry_ said:

why play Armstrong on the wing?

why bring on Samuel when he's done absolutely nothing since coming back from injury

why not play Bell after spending 300k on him

Why only play 1 up front

my opinion of TM hasn't changed since Oldham away... he is insipid, without passion and worries too much about err 'well drilled and organised' teams.

Important not to exaggerate in terms of the overall picture. Weve won 8 and drawn 3 of the last 11. 

That said, horrendous result tonight, and from the sound of it, performance. 

Subs were a mess, Samuel hasnt scored since November in the league, the guy is a joke and I cant believe anyone would keep him next season.

Why bring off Graham when we need a goal? And why play Whittingham on the wing? Makes no sense. And didnt sound like Dack was fully fit, so why risk him?

Cant see us winning the league at all now, GD and a game in hand means that Wigan need 2 slip ups assuming we win all 5, dont see that happening.

That said, still favourites for 2nd.

Just now, Biz said:

Why bring Samuel on? Because we spent 300k+ on him maybe?

Why not play bell? Perhaps because he’s done nothing since being dropped?....

Weve played the 433/451 stuff for nearly 30 games now, with Armstrong picking up goals on the wing in that time and picked up 2 points + a game, so keep it up for me, I can deal with any “insipid” managers who achieve such feats.

Point isn’t end of the world, since promotion is the only aim and @blueboy3333 is spot on about 5 points on shrews. Still well in our hands.

So, bring Samuel on because he cost 300k +  but don't bring Bell on even though he cost us roughly the same?

Strange logic there.

Just now, Stuart said:

Not going to happen on Mowbray’s watch.

I was watching that game thinking, I wonder how Johnson would set our team up. Because last night and tonight were the complete opposite approach and almost opposite end results.

We are going to have to do this the hard way. Mowbray will not trust the youth and is more happy to play the likes of Whittingham and Samuel as we limp over the line.

He’d better bloody well get over it is all I can say.

Which youngsters would you have brought on that could have changed the game in an attacking sense?

Just now, LDRover said:

So, bring Samuel on because he cost 300k +  but don't bring Bell on even though he cost us roughly the same?

Strange logic there.

Sarcasm doesn’t always translate well.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Terrible game to watch, the only two players who did anything positive were Raya with a cracking save and a very alert 1-on-1 closing down and Charlie with two good free kicks.

4th clean sheet in 5 games, keep that up and we’ll go up. None of the forwards were at the races tonight which won’t happen very often, if at all in the next 5.

It was awful.

To quote SK, we will respect the point!

• Moderation Lead
55 minutes ago, The Big Picture said:

And the moaning starts...

Breaking records left, right and centre and 45 mins without a goal and the usual suspects start their tirade.

Well thank goodness you’re here to show us the way and tell us how to think.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

If they win on Thursday though it’s squeaky bum time again. I know we’ve been near faultless for some time but we really, really need to pick the performances back up if we’re going to go up automatically. Pretty pathetic now for 2.5 games.

It was never going to be straightforward, as much as we all want it to be.

Archived