BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster Rovers 24th March

arbitro

I'm not starting an early preview but I wanted to warn anybody thinking of booking transport to this fixture that there is an international break over the weekend of 24th March. With Scotland, Northern Ireland, Canada and ROI playing there is a strong possibility the game will be rescheduled.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm not starting an early preview but I wanted to warn anybody thinking of booking transport to this fixture that there is an international break over the weekend of 24th March. With Scotland, Northern Ireland, Canada and ROI playing there is a strong possibility the game will be rescheduled.

We are so fortunate to have a full international keeper on the books. :wacko:

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Now Lenihan is fit potentially he could be called up for ROI.

Lenihan is miles away from an international call up I'd suggest.

1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

Are there not international games mid week as well we are due to play on the Thursday

Scotland play on the Saturday and the Tuesday, with us playing Bradford on the Thursday is could open up a dilemma for Mulgrew.

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Lenihan is miles away from an international call up I'd suggest.

Scotland play on the Saturday and the Tuesday, with us playing Bradford on the Thursday is could open up a dilemma for Mulgrew.

I think O'Neill might want to look at younger players with a view to the Euro's in 2020.

Just now, arbitro said:

I think O'Neill might want to look at younger players with a view to the Euro's in 2020.

Isn't Alex Mcleish Scotland manager now?

I reckon unless him and Mowbray can agree something then he is a definite for a call up.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Having the required number of international call ups only gives you the option to postpone a game, it is not compulsory. I would have thought at this stage of the season a fixture pile-up would be the last thing we need.

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Having the required number of international call ups only gives you the option to postpone a game, it is not compulsory. I would have thought at this stage of the season a fixture pile-up would be the last thing we need.

Hardly a pile up though is it? It will be one midweek in April.

If theres a chance to call it off I'm pretty sure we will, as we have done earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I think you are right but on the previous occasions this season we have opted to postpone the scheduled match.

32 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think you are right but on the previous occasions this season we have opted to postpone the scheduled match.

Was Leutwiller signed purely for that reason do you think ? Seems so to me

50 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Was Leutwiller signed purely for that reason do you think ? Seems so to me

To make up the numbers to qualify for a postponement do you mean? The transfer fee was undisclosed but the fact we paid a fee tells me no.

It sounds fanciful but you never know.

Just now, arbitro said:

To make up the numbers to qualify for a postponement do you mean? The transfer fee was undisclosed but the fact we paid a fee tells me no.

It sounds fanciful but you never know.

Yes thats what i meant. 

What would the fee have been from a relegation threatened L1 club at that time though, not much i would hazard. Do not even think he was first choice judging by their boards.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Yes thats what i meant. 

What would the fee have been from a relegation threatened L1 club at that time though, not much i would hazard. Do not even think he was first choice judging by their boards.

This is exactly what I think. Losing Mulgrew is massive for us. Evans less so. There aren’t many internationals (current call ups) that you can afford and sign for League One. This one was a very convenient signing if it wasn’t deliberate. My only gripe is that he’s not very good and appears to be blocking Andrew Fisher’s progress. Meanwhile the U23s have more goalkeepers that strikers!

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

This is exactly what I think. Losing Mulgrew is massive for us. Evans less so. There aren’t many internationals (current call ups) that you can afford and sign for League One. This one was a very convenient signing if it wasn’t deliberate. My only gripe is that he’s not very good and appears to be blocking Andrew Fisher’s progress. Meanwhile the U23s have more goalkeepers that strikers!

Exactly, I would imagine that that the thought process was that we might have been without Mulgrew, Evans and possibly Lenihan at some stages of the season. Evans has obviously proved to not be missed but many would have expected him to be a good player in this division (such a disappointment). Leutwiler (sorry i know its spelt wrong but i cant be assed to google lol) was a second string keeper in L1 that happened to be an international - very convenient signing if you ask me.

16 hours ago, arbitro said:

If you're referring to Lenihan he's Irish.

Quite clearly I was referring to Mulgrew.

I have to agree with the claim that the ex Shrews keeper was bought here for that reason alone.

The only person we miss for these internationals is Mulgrew, surely for pointless friendlys Mowbray and Mcleish could strike up a deal?

Doncaster could potentially see our biggest away following of the season if it stayed on the Saturday, going to a Tuesday night would probably halve it.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Quite clearly I was referring to Mulgrew.

I have to agree with the claim that the ex Shrews keeper was bought here for that reason alone.

The only person we miss for these internationals is Mulgrew, surely for pointless friendlys Mowbray and Mcleish could strike up a deal? Doncaster could potentially see our biggest away following of the season if it stayed on the Saturday, going to a Tuesday night would probably halve it.

You responded to his post about Martin O'Neill, so no, that clear at all. I didn't know what you meant.

On Lenihan, he won't be called up. We have plenty of Center halves playing at a higher level that League 1. Plus he has had little opportunity to give O'neill any reason to pick him as he has been injured most of the season. If O'Neill does something like have an initial 40 man squad, then I doubt he would even get a look in there. I would say even Lenihan himself knows he won't be called up at this stage. 

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Unless the club thanked the superb away support with free coach travel?

Yeah, me neither.

I'm not on twitter but that is something that should be put to the new social media guy. Rovers fans who travel will have spent a fortune this season. Other clubs do it, no reason why Rovers shouldn't. Instead of platitudes on the official twitter feed they should do something tangible.

Ofiicial twitter for anyone who wants to ask  https://twitter.com/rovers

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not on twitter but that is something that should be put to the new social media guy. Rovers fans who travel will have spent a fortune this season. Other clubs do it, no reason why Rovers shouldn't. Instead of platitudes on the official twitter feed they should do something tangible.

Ofiicial twitter for anyone who wants to ask  https://twitter.com/rovers

It would be a much better shout if there was a lobby for free coach travel to Charlton.

11 hours ago, darrenrover said:

It would be a much better shout if there was a lobby for free coach travel to Charlton.

MK Dons on Easter Monday should be the Big One. Trains are already expensive, so transport would be great. I think we could take over 5,000.

Archived