BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster Rovers 24th March

arbitro

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and Wigan Athletic's Will Grigg also misses out despite his form of seven goals in the last eight club games.

O'Neill explained that following discussions with Wigan boss Paul Cook, he would skip the friendly as they are in action on the same date.

Thought this was an interesting snippet from an article about Northern Irelands squad selection for the upcoming friendlies.

I wonder if we will do anything like that with Mulgrew for Scotlands second game against Hungary?

Mulgrew (Scotland) 23/3/18 - Costa Rica (h) and 27/3/18 - Hungary (a)

Williams and Lenihan (Republic of Ireland) 23/3/18 - Turkey (a)

Evans (Northern Ireland) 24/3/18 - South Korea (h)

Leutweiler (Canada) 24/3/18 - New Zealand (n) 

Rovers due to play Saturday 24th March AND Thursday 29th March

Mulgrew must be a doubt for Bradford at home! 2 games in 2 days, including a trip back from Budapest

45 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Thought this was an interesting snippet from an article about Northern Irelands squad selection for the upcoming friendlies.

I wonder if we will do anything like that with Mulgrew for Scotlands second game against Hungary?

Given that Grigg has not played for Ireland since 2016 and Mulgrew is an ever present for Scotland I cant see it

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He is more of a right back than downing 

Hardly a great argument.

Mowbray’s recruitment in defence has been his weakness this season. The one defender he’s brought in keeps being played on the wing.

Option when Nyambe went off:

Williams - Mulgrew - Downing - Lenihan

If Downing isn’t good enough then he should have had Travis on the bench instead as we had better on-field cover for CB in Williams and Nyambe.

If he is that bad, he should have been replaced in January and/or we should have brought in a proper RB. We’ve had sticking plasters there for a good while until the Nyambe promotion.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Hardly a great argument.

Mowbray’s recruitment in defence has been his weakness this season. The one defender he’s brought in keeps being played on the wing.

If Downing isn’t good enough then he should have had Travis on the bench instead as we had better on-field cover for CB in Williams and Nyambe.

If he is that bad, he should have been replaced in January and/or we should have brought in a proper RB. We’ve had sticking plasters there for a good while until the Nyambe promotion.

It's not an argument. Bennett has far more attributes to play right back and has played there far more than downing. It's pretty simple really. 

48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not an argument. Bennett has far more attributes to play right back and has played there far more than downing. It's pretty simple really. 

I’ve not suggested playing Downing at RB.

Defenders should play in defence. It’s pretty simple really.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ve not suggested playing Downing at RB.

Defenders should play in defence. It’s pretty simple really.

You said we don't have much defensive cover, referencing Bennett "being favoured over Downing". My point was that's it wasn't a slight on Downing, more a testament to Bennetts adaptability. Personally, I would prefer to see Travis start right back with Bennett centrally or on the right. 

We will need to sign another centre half during the summer alright rhough, unless Wharton is deemed ready.  Actually we could do with both 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Hardly a great argument.

Knowing that Nyambe was a doubt, I did think at the time it was a bit short sighted to not have Caddis (or Travis) on the bench.

That said, I was happy enough with Bennett going there, at nil nil at home to Blackpool I thought it was the obvious decision. I'd argue that Bennett is less of a square peg in a round hole than Lenihan at right back, and you also have to be mindful that there has to be a certain degree of flexibility considering that you dont get 11 subs, you only get 7.

I agree with @Bigdoggsteel on this, and wasnt worried with Bennett at right back. (Bar his horrendous throw ins)

I'd also be very reluctant to break up them 2 at centre back at any point.

2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Mulgrew (Scotland) 23/3/18 - Costa Rica (h) and 27/3/18 - Hungary (a)

Williams and Lenihan (Republic of Ireland) 23/3/18 - Turkey (a)

Evans (Northern Ireland) 24/3/18 - South Korea (h)

Leutweiler (Canada) 24/3/18 - New Zealand (n) 

Rovers due to play Saturday 24th March AND Thursday 29th March

Mulgrew must be a doubt for Bradford at home! 2 games in 2 days, including a trip back from Budapest

I'd suggest, considering the inevitability of Mulgrews call up, that Rovers really should have refused to change the Bradford game from the Friday.

With Scotland having a new manager I would expect him to want to have a look at his squad.  Might be able to get Mulgrew back after the first game with a bit of luck.  Can't imagine he can play against Bradford if not, especially as there is another game on Monday.

6 hours ago, hobbes said:

Canada left Junior Hoilett with Cardiff City for the break, but Leutwiler has been named to the squad for New Zealand.

Good point. Hoilett has played in goal about as many times as Leutweiler. Must have been a close call.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Good point. Hoilett has played in goal about as many times as Leutweiler. Must have been a close call.

I was referencing Warnock's moaning about international call-ups. Seeing as Canada left a starter at his club, but called up our second/third choice keeper. And just confirming that Leutwiler was called up.

1 hour ago, MGPensioner said:

IF we go up, we will need to sign almost a complete Championship team if we are to compete.

So then it becomes 46 games to save our club I guess?

Genuinely convinced you’re a closet dingle. 

I really worry about your health when you get old @Biz. A young man like you shouldn’t get so confused so often. Let me know when your birthday is and I’ll buy you a puzzle compendium. Got to keep that brain sharp. ??

Shrewsbury will have caught up with us by the international weekend now if there game goes ahead.

We will then have played one more game than them on 7th April as they are in the checkatrade trophy, but they will have caught up by that midweek.

I think Wigan play every midweek now until 24th April, so yeah could be one hell of a night that.

Archived