BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster Rovers 24th March

arbitro

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Echo what most have said, great night to be a part of.

From where I was it seemed the goal went in in slow motion, absolute madness on the terraces, I ended up several rows down to where my seat was and didn't bother going back.

I didn't go on the pitch but it was an incredible sight watching everyone pour on at the final whistle, I figured that it would take a while for that to clear and was up against it time wise so made an exit.

Another great memory to go along with Wembley 92, Anfield 95, Deepdale 2001 & Cardiff 2002 that I have been privileged to be at following this wonderful football club

Looking forward to an all dayer in the capital on Saturday to celebrate properly.

Still letting it sink in. Its been a long, hard, stressful few months and we've the finishing line has suddenly come round. I don't think it will properly sink in until later in the week or even Saturday. Can't wait for a day out in London in celebration frame of mind knowing we can enjoy the last couple of games without any serious pressure. I've been convinced this was going down to the final day so to get it done with 2 to spare is a relief.

I would have liked to have shown my appreciation to the players and staff after the game last night but after hanging around for 20 minutes realised that we weren't going to get a proper opportunity to celebrate with the players due to the multiple pitch invasions. After that I left. Shame, hopefully there will be a celebration on Saturday and people are able to enjoy it from the stands.

Still delighted - and more than ever for you fans who stuck with it. Delighted also for the players who have done a massive job. Albeit in a totally crap league, to go 33 games with just the 1 defeat is absolutely outstanding. You don’t do that with a side full of individuals with no heart, you do it with pro’s who know what the games about, how to apply that understanding and also with sheer hard work. Give credit to Mowbray as well for making that happen. Don’t forget that these guys also performed from the pretty dire position the club was in when most of them joined. It really is a remarkable achievement.

so, onwards to next season. Another big task awaits. At least now, we must have a better chance of keeping hold of Dack. He’s a bit special. Can he do it again one league higher? Well yes he can, but only if he stays fit, stays focussed and continues to work hard and learn. He needs to keep his feet on the ground. The rest of the squad will need strengthening we all know that - and that’s where Mowbray will succeed or fail. That’s next season though. There’s still the rest of this season to enjoy.

Great point made on the Doncaster MB about the chants all being pro Blackburn (some anti B*rnley... obvs ;) ). It literally felt like we were the only fans there and its great to support a team and just support them. Fantastic night.

Just to echo other points on the second pitch invasion, there were 3,000+ fans who remained in their seats desperate to finally celebrate with the players - which we were denied by some very selfish individuals - those memories and photos would have lasted a lot longer than a selfie with the back of Bradley Dack's head from 7 people away. Small gripe, but the majority of fans wanted to celebrate with Blackburn Rovers, not watch 500-1,000 fans plod around the pitch for 35 mins. 

11 hours ago, Shrimper said:

Congratulations on promotion Rovers.

Two tough games to come for you's, but I'll be quietly willing you on, hoping you go on to nick the title away from Wigan. 

After what must feel like an eternity of rubbish dumped on you, it's good to see this great club finally enjoying some good times. Revel in this moment, you deserve it. 

Hopefully it won't be too long before we meet again (albeit hopefully at a higher level). 

Good luck for the future

Thanks shrimper, enjoyed your posts stay in touch, seems a long long time since that first day at yours.

11 hours ago, Shrimper said:

Congratulations on promotion Rovers.

Two tough games to come for you's, but I'll be quietly willing you on, hoping you go on to nick the title away from Wigan. 

After what must feel like an eternity of rubbish dumped on you, it's good to see this great club finally enjoying some good times. Revel in this moment, you deserve it. 

Hopefully it won't be too long before we meet again (albeit hopefully at a higher level). 

Good luck for the future

Nice one Shrimper. Thanks. Good luck to Fleetwood next season.

• Backroom
Just now, bob fleming said:

Nice one Shrimper. Thanks. Good luck to Fleetwood next season.

He’s probably more concerned about Southend - being a Southend fan :P

Unless this is a brilliantly subtle post with reference to Jim’s post in another thread 

in which case ‘you ain’t seen me, right!’

18 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Great point made on the Doncaster MB about the chants all being pro Blackburn (some anti B*rnley... obvs ;) ). It literally felt like we were the only fans there and its great to support a team and just support them. Fantastic night.

Just to echo other points on the second pitch invasion, there were 3,000+ fans who remained in their seats desperate to finally celebrate with the players - which we were denied by some very selfish individuals - those memories and photos would have lasted a lot longer than a selfie with the back of Bradley Dack's head for 7 people away. Small gripe, but the majority of fans wanted to celebrate with Blackburn Rovers, not watch 500-1,000 fans plod around the pitch for 35 mins. 

I have to say I agree with you, to a point.

I was on the pitch at the final whistle euphorically, I don't apologise for that in honesty, it was an act of spontaneity but we retreated behind the barriers after a couple of minutes.

I too would have liked the team and Mowbray to have come and taken the plaudits but won't stand in judgement of those that were too chuffed to bits not to think that they may have ruined it for others. I sincerely hope there's a repeat performance in May 2019, when we can all moan about folk on the pitch again.

(Meant in the spirit that it's written)

WE ARE The Rovers!!

The second pitch invasion was the one that was most frustrating!

I just hope those that 'had to get it out of their system' did so last night and we can all enjoy the Oxford game from the stands!

Some laughable attempts too....I saw one couple run on, slip, get soaked by a sprinkler, mud everywhere....only to be ushered off the pitch by a policeman! :D

That said it shouldn't take anything away from what was a memorable night! 

My main feeling......RELIEF!!! Getting back at the 1st attempt was so important.

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

Some laughable attempts too....I saw one couple run on, slip, get soaked by a sprinkler, mud everywhere....

aye the pitch was slippy....very poor underfoot.  No wonder we struggled to play our normal game.  It was one of those never to be forgotten nights, only for me to be reminded when I got home and switched sky sports news on and I'm there on the telly patting Dominic on the head.  Fantastic scenes and the fans deserved it

I’m glad one of those corners FINALLY came to a goal, I thought we could go on all night  taking corners and not score.

I bet the guy in the Rover suit had a great time, love it at 0:20 at that video he’s doing the fist pump with Benno :) seems to be genuinely jumping around, not just being in character!

When we scored that goal some rovers fans were jumping up and down in the donny end, one guy had blood all over his face he'd been scrapping by the looks of it, steward went to chuck him out, but some of us picked him up, chucked him over barrier and he came in with us.

what a great game and a great atmosphere.

I must admit if I could have got to the pitch the first time I would have gone on but would have stayed in the stands when the players came back out hopefully we can have a full on party at ewood for the oxford game and allow the players to celebrate with us.

there was one steward there last night I am yet to decide if he was either a wimp or a perv he watched loads of men get passed him but stopped a woman and was grappling with her on the floor pushed her back to the stand went back to his position watched a load more men walk passed then again stopped a woman and started to push her back to the stand

Really hungover, really tired, lost my voice, but damm what a night and atmosphere. Typical rovers to make things difficult, but wow what scenes when mulgrew scored.

Glad it was Charlie that scored the winner, a real captain and top bloke. At the end when everyone was going mental I saw he took the time to go over to a young fan and give them his shirt. Top bloke.

To the fans that did the 2nd pitch invasion, you are all idiots who ruined the moment for a lot of fans and the manager and players to. Buy hey you got your selfie on the pitch looking hard in your brand new stone island top looking hard as nails. #Plantpots

Onwards and upwards now, job done...We are on our way back!!

Also fair play to Doncaster, great little ground, some good banter with their fans who were all really freindly and complimentary of rovers.

Apart from 1 steward who loved tackiling women who invaded the pitch the rest all realised they had no chance.

Only negative is they have rave on from pheonix nights doing their tannoy announcements. WTF was that all about

12 minutes ago, Peteb2014 said:

there was one steward there last night I am yet to decide if he was either a wimp or a perv he watched loads of men get passed him but stopped a woman and was grappling with her on the floor pushed her back to the stand went back to his position watched a load more men walk passed then again stopped a woman and started to push her back to the stand

Might have been the same one who tried to stop my 13 year old son and my lad wasn't having it.  He just barged past him like he wasn't there.....I don't think anything would have stopped that last night.....

Another outstanding night to add to the collection of memories following this glorious club.

Tbf Donny defending very well especially from our corners, was beginning to think it just wasn't going to end up in the net.  But when it did my god, what absolute scenes.

Can't wait to board that train on Saturday now to continue the celebrations, was driving last night so slightly more civil.  In fact that was the only slight downside last night it took an eternity to park, they're obviously not used to 4K followings on a Tuesday night though I guess so it didn't dampen the mood.

Archived