BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster Rovers 24th March

arbitro

I'm not an idiot and I'm not slagging off the pitch invasion, I was part of it!

However, the second pitch invasion is what stopped us all enjoying a good 10/15 minute celebration with the players and staff - something that Mowbray himself asked for on the microphone.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

aye the pitch was slippy....very poor underfoot.  No wonder we struggled to play our normal game.  It was one of those never to be forgotten nights, only for me to be reminded when I got home and switched sky sports news on and I'm there on the telly patting Dominic on the head.  Fantastic scenes and the fans deserved it

I did comment we should have changed our studs for a longer variety for the second invasion.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What a brilliant night, well done to everyone.

Cant believe some idiots are slagging off fans for running on the pitch, I personally didnt even hear any tannoy message but the fans were jubilant and it was 100% well natured.

Have you really read the posts which are criticising the pitch incursions? The only idiots were the selfish ones who went on for a second and third time.

Agreed, nobody is critical of the fans for going on at FT, I personally had my good shoes on and didn't fancy the cold shower via sprinkler, otherwise i might well have joined.

However, after finally clearing the pitch of spectators (to a round of applause i might add), common sense has to take over whereby: Fans on Pitch = Players not on pitch. 

You all had your moment at FT and beyond, but by going on a second time, those fans denied 3,000 other fans in attendance and 30+ players and staff the opportunity to have theirs... not to mention all the photos and interviews that never happened.

First pitch invasion: Good, fun, behaved, amusing, justified, rewarded.

Second pitch invasion: Selfish. 

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I did comment we should have changed our studs for a longer variety for the second invasion.

Contains harrowing scenes of tactical weapon deployment involving "Weapons of Mass Wetting"

Actually a good Vlog by a Doncaster fan, excellent of the Rovers fans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_V2WZbvr1g

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Have you really read the posts which are criticising the pitch incursions? The only idiots were the selfish ones who went on for a second and third time.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Agreed, nobody is critical of the fans for going on at FT, I personally had my good shoes on and didn't fancy the cold shower via sprinkler, otherwise i might well have joined.

However, after finally clearing the pitch of spectators (to a round of applause i might add), common sense has to take over whereby: Fans on Pitch = Players not on pitch. 

You all had your moment at FT and beyond, but by going on a second time, those fans denied 3,000 other fans in attendance and 30+ players and staff the opportunity to have theirs... not to mention all the photos and interviews that never happened.

First pitch invasion: Good, fun, behaved, amusing, justified, rewarded.

Second pitch invasion: Selfish. 

I have yeah, but the players were on the pitch for ages even on the second occasion.

I didnt even hear the message saying to go back to our seats, I doubt im on my own.

I just think, there were so many fans, so happy, it was hardly a couple of dozen who went on again, seems like splitting hairs to suggest that the fans who went on a second night ruined everything.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I have yeah, but the players were on the pitch for ages even on the second occasion.

True, but those players were surrounded by 50 fans, or near the half way line out of the way. If the fans had stayed still the players would have come to them. The second invasion actually did ruin a team "Klinsmann" that was occurring, a good few players simply turned around and went back to the changing rooms.

All i'm saying is there was two sides, the ones who invaded the pitch, and the ones who wanted to celebrate in the stands with the players on the pitch. The pitch invaders had their moment, twice, the second time taking away an experience the other 3,000 were desperate for. 

Once was plenty.

True, but those players were surrounded by 50 fans, or near the half way line out of the way. If the fans had stayed still the players would have come to them. The second invasion actually did ruin a team "Klinsmann" that was occurring, a good few players simply turned around and went back to the changing rooms.

All i'm saying is there was two sides, the ones who invaded the pitch, and the ones who wanted to celebrate in the stands with the players on the pitch. The pitch invaders had their moment, twice, the second time taking away an experience the other 3,000 were desperate for. 

Once was plenty.

But there were loads of fans on the pitch even on the second occasion. Both sets of fans had the same motive, to celebrate promotion, people didnt know what to do with themselves such was the pure adulation, and to suggest that the night was ruined and for  that to be prominent in your mind is for me a massive exaggeration.

19 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I went over and crashed into the bouncer at the end of the players tunnel, my very smooth trainers wouldn't keep me up.....the old Levi's are struggling with that grass stain.....Vanish is in the machine now....

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But there were loads of fans on the pitch even on the second occasion. Both sets of fans had the same motive, to celebrate promotion, people didnt know what to do with themselves such was the pure adulation, and to suggest that the night was ruined and for  that to be prominent in your mind is for me a massive exaggeration.

You didnt know what to do? How about listen to the stewards, the tannoy, the 3k rovers fans booing you chanting off off off. Or failing all that listen to your manager TM telling you to stay off. But hey I bet you got some cool selfies

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Okay so I've checked, and nowhere in my three messages has the word "ruined" been said or implied. We won the game, secured promotion, now have a great chance at the league title and everybody enjoyed themselves. 

My "suggestion" is that the night would have been even better (for the majority) if "loads of fans" could have stayed off the pitch a second time.

I stand by it being selfish and I'm sure thousands would agree. However after the first 20-50 fans have ran on again, the next 400+ doesn't really matter does it? I'm sure there were people in the second invasion who were planning to stay where requested but then thought "Ah f*** it, they're all back on, lets go." 

Think back to the promotion at Preston where fans didn't invade the pitch, and the celebrations and video memories from that night.

At least Snapchat stories are "Lit" for 24 hours, that's the important thing.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

You didnt know what to do? How about listen to the stewards, the tannoy, the 3k rovers fans booing you chanting off off off. Or failing all that listen to your manager TM telling you to stay off. But hey I bet you got some cool selfies

Did I say that I did that personally?

Just frustrates me how throughout our success this seasons some of our fans are desperate to slag off other fans.

Okay so I've checked, and nowhere in my three messages has the word "ruined" been said or implied. We won the game, secured promotion, now have a great chance at the league title and everybody enjoyed themselves. 

My "suggestion" is that the night would have been even better (for the majority) if "loads of fans" could have stayed off the pitch a second time.

I stand by it being selfish and I'm sure thousands would agree. However after the first 20-50 fans have ran on again, the next 400+ doesn't really matter does it? I'm sure there were people in the second invasion who were planning to stay where requested but then thought "Ah f*** it, there all back on, lets go." 

Think back to the promotion at Preston where fans didn't invade the pitch, and the celebrations and video memories from that night.

At least Snapchat stories are "Lit" for 24 hours, that's the important thing.

Reason I think that selfish is harsh is people clearly did it out of instinctive joy and adulation and it was all good natured.

Basically the key is your line "We won the game, secured promotion, now have a great chance at the league title and everybody enjoyed themselves."

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I didnt even hear the message saying to go back to our seats, I doubt im on my own.

I just think, there were so many fans, so happy, it was hardly a couple of dozen who went on again, seems like splitting hairs to suggest that the fans who went on a second night ruined everything.

But the players wanted to celebrate with all the supporters and Mowbray spoke on the PA system asking for the fans to leave the field and even ushered some away himself. I'm not sure why not hearing the message shouldn't have stopped them from leaving the field, common sense should have told you to go back to the stands. I get the happiness, exuberance and the emotions of the first incursion and don't have a problem with it.

Reason I think that selfish is harsh is people clearly did it out of instinctive joy and adulation and it was all good natured.

Basically the key is your line "We won the game, secured promotion, now have a great chance at the league title and everybody enjoyed themselves."

The 1st invasion was istinctive joy and adulation. Nobody has an issue with that.

But countless tannoy announcements, 3k rovers fans booing and chanting off off off. A announcement from Mowbray himself. That isnt instinctive joy, thats being a selfish prat

Did I say that I did that personally?

Just frustrates me how throughout our success this seasons some of our fans are desperate to slag off other fans.

Some irony there when you referred to some as idiots.

Fair, but I was equally as full of joy and adulation, yet somehow managed to not pitch invade the pitch the second time. 

To justify the second pitch invasion - 30 minutes after the win, i'm finding difficult.

NB: Great away support all season. I wonder how our average away attendance and # of sold out allocations compares to the likes of Burnley, WBA, Southampton etc. Be nice if there was some sort of league table to highlight just how excellent Blackburn Rovers fans have been this season... and why we deserve the title over 2 man and a dog Wigan.

31 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Once was plenty.

You know what these things aren't pre planned it's called emotion and we can't all have it the way we want you can't please everybody it just enjoy it for what it was / is. To be honest a lot of those fans have earned the right to be a little bit selfish with their commitment this season and at the end of the day they weren't looking for bother.

Just pity poor Doncaster who might have to witness similar again v Wigan :lol:

Ironically, i hope the pitch invasions have wound Doncaster up enough that they go all out to deny Wigan on the final day. They wont want two parties in 2 games.

Anyone remember the back to back home games in 2000 when Charlton won the league and then City won promotion with a 4-1 win after Matt Jansen had hit the crossbar 4 times and we should have been 5-0 up at half time. Not an enjoyable feeling, especially after we were newly relegated and supposed to walk the league - sound familiar?

Final point from me... if chanting at 0-0 "If Rovers score, we're on the pitch" doesn't constitute "pre-planning" for a pitch invasion, what does? ;)

Ironically, i hope the pitch invasions have wound Doncaster up enough that they go all out to deny Wigan on the final day. They wont want two parties in 2 games.

Anyone remember the back to back home games in 2000 when Charlton won the league and then City won promotion with a 4-1 win after Matt Jansen had hit the crossbar 4 times and we should have been 5-0 up at half time. Not an enjoyable feeling, especially after we were newly relegated and supposed to walk the league - sound familiar?

Final point from me... if chanting at 0-0 "If Rovers score, we're on the pitch" doesn't constitute "pre-planning" for a pitch invasion, what does? ;)

Fair point although how many times do people actually carry out the old 'on the pitch' threat hell we have a lot of the most restrained fans in the league.

As for the Charlton effort in 2000 they only brought around 800 and I remember thinking it was a bit pathetic their celebrations rather than being offended.

Little did we know what lay around the corner with City :o

Just now, tomphil said:

Fair point although how many times do people actually carry out the old 'on the pitch' threat hell we have a lot of the most restrained fans in the league.

As for the Charlton effort in 2000 they only brought around 800 and I remember thinking it was a bit pathetic their celebrations rather than being offended.

Little did we know what lay around the corner with City :o

Having spent most of yesterday afternoon in Doncaster Centre, I can't speak highly enough of the locals. It was great banter and debate with handshakes all round as we left each pub. The Doncaster locals really helped to make it a great day out.

With regards Wigan and Charlton compared to us? There is no comparison, it's not even worth a debate.

Two pertinent points: Springfield Park and Wembley '87, where were Ya and do you remember? 

Despite all, never forget that Blackburn Rovers are the most successful town club in the WORLD!

Cookie, read it and weep!

Well I’ve been a bit bleary at work today but what a quality night. From a great atmosphere, to tension as the shrews went ahead, and then finally Euphoria. I’m not going to comment on any negative performances as it was a case of getting the job done on a playing surface which was worryingly wet from kick off. However I thought Bennett was once again immense in work rate and commitment, especially that first half clearance from within our 6 yard box that would have put any attackers out of the penalty area as well had they been challenging. When you watch the replay for the goal, its a quality header from the skipper. The whole night made the car park carnage before the game fully worthwhile !  Questions about budgets and improvements etc.. can wait for other threads throughout the summer. This week is just about enjoying the achievements.

On the pitch invasion, what annoyed me was at the end (the second and third pitch invasions) people were charging on the pitch with no intention of getting to the players. They just ran 12 yard on the pitch, laughed at the stewards and then danced around giving V’s to the Rovers fans booing and calling them to go off. It wasn’t a case of celebrating with the team. It was little shitty kids who weren’t going to be told what to do by stewards, the announcer and the police because they could get away with it as there were so many of them. They ignored the pleas from Tony Mowbray. It really was a case of “We’re Blackburn Rovers , we do what we want”. Meanwhile supporters, young and old, waited in the stands and were denied a special five minute celebration with the night's heroes. It was selfishness by idiots. 

Archived