BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster Rovers 24th March

arbitro

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proud to be a Rover last night. There’s no doubting that being in the Premier League waters down your average football supporter and with the make up of the average Rovers fan not being quite as ‘laddish’ as some of the big city boys, Rovers fans were perhaps a bit more watered down than others. 

Last night bucked that trend. With several years in the doldrums and well away from the corporate, prawn sandwiched, Sky induced bolloc*s that has become modern day, top flight football, we all stood as one, a northern, working class wall of noise that roared the lads to victory. A bit more like the support from the 70s and 80s.

I loved the first pitch invasion but not the second which denied three quarters of our support the chance to celebrate with Tony and the players. I loved the blue flares which lit up our end behind the goals, filling it with an acrid, blue smoke which lingered for ages.

Superb stuff. Have a great day, those travelling to Charlton on Saturday and let’s get a bumper crowd on Ewood for the Oxford game and, at the end of the match, celebrate in style allowing the players and manager a well deserved lap of honour.

18 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

It's a great feeling when the jobs done. 

All the dire performances, silly points we've given away, in fact everything that's been moaned about can be consigned to the bin.

Bring on celebration Saturday.

THIS Saturday!!!!!

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ironically, i hope the pitch invasions have wound Doncaster up enough that they go all out to deny Wigan on the final day. They wont want two parties in 2 games.

Anyone remember the back to back home games in 2000 when Charlton won the league and then City won promotion with a 4-1 win after Matt Jansen had hit the crossbar 4 times and we should have been 5-0 up at half time. Not an enjoyable feeling, especially after we were newly relegated and supposed to walk the league - sound familiar?

Final point from me... if chanting at 0-0 "If Rovers score, we're on the pitch" doesn't constitute "pre-planning" for a pitch invasion, what does? ;)

I remember that game, I reckon it was the journeyman Ashley Ward that couldn't score to save his life that day!

Great celebrations yesterday. Sore head this morning.

I was trying to educate a polish lass at work about how the big game of the evening wasn’t at Anfield but in Doncaster. First comment today was: “Look at the state of you. I’m guessing Rovers were promoted.”  YES THEY WERE!!!!

Seen rovers win the league, the league cup, beat the big boys of English football many times and travelled Europe watching them but none of that diminished the joy of getting out of division 3. 

• J*B unpinned this topic

I can understand some negative comments towards the pitch invaders. Must admit I didn't originally plan on partaking but emotion took over I guess. 

Almost certain however that there won't be a repeat at Ewood for the Oxford game , only time I can remember one was during the homecoming parade after winning the league so not even a game. There'll be a lap of honour and mutual appreciation I'm sure. 

Some really magnanimous and complimentary comments by the Doncaster fans on their site. They were excellent to be fair in hosting our celebrations and I will hold always hold a soft spot for them going forward.

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0

I've actually been numb since before the game and the reality of what it meant to be part of such a momentous night is only just kicking in. The massively extensive social media coverage is awesome and I wish we had this in 95 and 2001 but hey ho.

This feeling right now is what football is all about and is hopefully the beginning of a new era...

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The fact that there is another away game and then a home game means that there plenty of time for more reserved celebrations anyway.

You're greatly missing the point about how frustrating it was for the vast majority of fans still in the stands who never got the ending they had hoped for, whilst a lot of Rovers fans just went on the pitch (and tried to remove the netting for some reason) just because they were told not to.  They weren't un-reservably celebrating. They were just being knobs. 

I've yet to see anyone explain why the THIRD time the players tried to come over to the fans, after Mowbray himself had come on the tannoy and told fans to stay in the stands, people still felt the need to run past the stewards and then just stand there like lemons inside the penalty areas singing. They had already done the spontaneous final-whistle pitch invasion. They'd then also ran and mobbed the players after they came out and did their knee-slide celebration. Now they just wanted to go into and sing in the penalty area because it was probably a bit cramped when they were forced back to the side of the pitch.

3 hours ago, Darth Paul said:

I've actually been numb since before the game and the reality of what it meant to be part of such a momentous night is only just kicking in. The massively extensive social media coverage is awesome and I wish we had this in 95 and 2001 but hey ho.

The interaction between players and players / fans has been enjoyable all season. I guess you don't get it as much when you're losing but this year it's been constant. Going through twitter in the last 36 hours has been great. 

Even Rovers twitter account is getting in on the fun posting the Dack video sayings he's had a few doubles and trebles.

33 minutes ago, Hasta said:

You're greatly missing the point about how frustrating it was for the vast majority of fans still in the stands who never got the ending they had hoped for, whilst a lot of Rovers fans just went on the pitch (and tried to remove the netting for some reason) just because they were told not to.  They weren't un-reservably celebrating. They were just being knobs. 

I've yet to see anyone explain why the THIRD time the players tried to come over to the fans, after Mowbray himself had come on the tannoy and told fans to stay in the stands, people still felt the need to run past the stewards and then just stand there like lemons inside the penalty areas singing. They had already done the spontaneous final-whistle pitch invasion. They'd then also ran and mobbed the players after they came out and did their knee-slide celebration. Now they just wanted to go into and sing in the penalty area because it was probably a bit cramped when they were forced back to the side of the pitch.

My son and daughter were there on Tuesday. They are unable to be at the next 2 matches because of work commitments. They wanted to celebrate with and thank the players. Thanks to some who had to do it their own selfish way, they were unable to. They had no problems with the original pitch invasion, understanding totally that people just wanted to let off steam physically, but after that . . . .?

My daughter wouldn't go on the pitch herself, having once been reporting on the pitch when a pitch invasion happened and only the quick reactions of her cameraman saved her from being knocked to the ground. 

Whilst it was a fabulous night at Donny some fans just spoiled it for others.

i don’t knock the initial reaction with the pitch invasion but please how many times did the announcer ask fans to go back to their seats so the team could come out and celebrate?

when the fans did they just ran back on the pitch spoiling it for others and ruined some great photo opportunities !

loved the night and have now been lucky to see promotion in the 70’s 80’s 90’s naughties and now in 2018 after some real lows at the club.

finally the inconsiderate scrote who refused to move from the seat that wasn’t yours and belonged to a clearly disabled supporter you are an absolute dick!

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Firstly, vast majority is an exaggeration. The pitch was teaming with fans.

I didnt even know Mowbray came over the tannoy? Did he? If so I didnt hear it.

Even if it was frustrating, surely it is at least partially understandable that the promoted players were mobbed, even a second and third time, and surely the overriding emotion is happiness, not frustration. 

To see so many Rovers fans on the pitch mobbing their players, if the first feeling is frustration regardless of circumstances then for me I dont understand that.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Firstly, vast majority is an exaggeration. The pitch was teaming with fans.

I didnt even know Mowbray came over the tannoy? Did he? If so I didnt hear it.

Even if it was frustrating, surely it is at least partially understandable that the promoted players were mobbed, even a second and third time, and surely the overriding emotion is happiness, not frustration. 

To see so many Rovers fans on the pitch mobbing their players, if the first feeling is frustration regardless of circumstances then for me I dont understand that.

Looking at what was left in the stands then I'd say, yes, the vast majority were still in the stands.

Your also missing my point if you think the promoted players were mobbed. People just wan 10 yards on the pitch, did nothing and then gave V's to the fans shouting for them to get off.

I don't understand what your last sentence means but nobody has said the first pitch invasion was anything but joy and celebration. But the third time, 20 minutes later, was stupid.

You obviously don't see it that was, so your not going to agree, but we may well have had the Rovers players out on the pitch for another 20 minutes had it not been for the constant incursions. Instead those in the fans got to hardly see any of the players but see plenty of people pulling on the netting, trying to jump up and swing on the crossbar, give V's to other Rovers fans and take a selfie of themselves on a football pitch.

14 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Looking at what was left in the stands then I'd say, yes, the vast majority were still in the stands.

Your also missing my point if you think the promoted players were mobbed. People just wan 10 yards on the pitch, did nothing and then gave V's to the fans shouting for them to get off.

I don't understand what your last sentence means but nobody has said the first pitch invasion was anything but joy and celebration. But the third time, 20 minutes later, was stupid.

You obviously don't see it that was, so your not going to agree, but we may well have had the Rovers players out on the pitch for another 20 minutes had it not been for the constant incursions. Instead those in the fans got to hardly see any of the players but see plenty of people pulling on the netting, trying to jump up and swing on the crossbar, give V's to other Rovers fans and take a selfie of themselves on a football pitch.

To clarify, these fans that you specifically mention that you saw, giving V's to other fans etc, I do agree are idiots. However I saw both at the game and some of the most emotive images since, are of fans surrounding players, mobbing them, thanking them, carrying them, that kind of thing. 

I do appreciate that we may have got a bit more of time with the players hypothetically, but even at the time of the 2nd and 3rd invasion, it was hardly as if the moment had gone, there was obviously little in the way of structured celebration, it was still raw, the people who had returned to the stand where all in a small space at the front.

I do also appreciate that we have differing views, I just feel like it is counter productive to be over analysing the post match celebration, or to be too critical towards fellow fans. Theres 2 more matches especially Oxford where we will get plenty of time with the players and it will be far more structured. 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To clarify, these fans that you specifically mention that you saw, giving V's to other fans etc, I do agree are idiots. However I saw both at the game and some of the most emotive images since, are of fans surrounding players, mobbing them, thanking them, carrying them, that kind of thing. 

I do appreciate that we may have got a bit more of time with the players hypothetically, but even at the time of the 2nd and 3rd invasion, it was hardly as if the moment had gone, there was obviously little in the way of structured celebration, it was still raw, the people who had returned to the stand where all in a small space at the front.

I do also appreciate that we have differing views, I just feel like it is counter productive to be over analysing the post match celebration, or to be too critical towards fellow fans. Theres 2 more matches especially Oxford where we will get plenty of time with the players and it will be far more structured. 

Fair enough. Just hope there's no repeat when we are crowned Champions at Ewood :P:P

What a night! Got my tickets last minute so first half I was sat on my own :lol: second half I sat with mates as there was spare seats behind them

mental when Mulgrew scored and a fantastic atmosphere throughout the whole game. RTID

Not had time to read through the thread but the Mrs was watching on Tv as the fans swarmed the pitch at the end, she noted that the Rovers mascot led the charge, now you'd not get that in the Premiership :lol:

Great effort.

Part of me wants another 12 months in league 1, great experience was had, especially away from home. Give me Northampton, Plymouth and Walsall over Derby and Boro any day of the week.

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

Not had time to read through the thread but the Mrs was watching on Tv as the fans swarmed the pitch at the end, she noted that the Rovers mascot led the charge, now you'd not get that in the Premiership :lol:

Great effort.

Part of me wants another 12 months in league 1, great experience was had, especially away from home. Give me Northampton, Plymouth and Walsall over Derby and Boro any day of the week.

That was Mulgrew who put that Mascot head on before running onto the pitch.

Archived