BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] EFL rule changes

arbitro

If I read that correctly all teams from the 4th Thursday in March have to name the exact same team until the end of the season barring one change. I'm assuming injuries and suspensions don't count. Whilst I agree with the sentiment our game has changed alot over the years. It's more of a squad game with a much more tactical approach . Most teams make two, possibly three changes every game without necessarily weakening the team. Surly having to name at least 8 even 9 has to be fairer when you factor in squad size, form etc. What about young players. When do they get an opportunity to show they can play. With the pressure managers are under when do they get a chance to show they can cut it. For example. We have qualified for a play off place with a game to spare v Oxford. Mowbray fancies starting nuttall and giving Travis a game. Resting Graham and Smallwood on a booking. Does he have to make a choice. If mulgrew and Raya are injured would he have to make a choice between restoring the number 1 goalkeeper or his captain ? 

22 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If I read that correctly all teams from the 4th Thursday in March have to name the exact same team until the end of the season barring one change. I'm assuming injuries and suspensions don't count. Whilst I agree with the sentiment our game has changed alot over the years. It's more of a squad game with a much more tactical approach . Most teams make two, possibly three changes every game without necessarily weakening the team. Surly having to name at least 8 even 9 has to be fairer when you factor in squad size, form etc. What about young players. When do they get an opportunity to show they can play. With the pressure managers are under when do they get a chance to show they can cut it. For example. We have qualified for a play off place with a game to spare v Oxford. Mowbray fancies starting nuttall and giving Travis a game. Resting Graham and Smallwood on a booking. Does he have to make a choice. If mulgrew and Raya are injured would he have to make a choice between restoring the number 1 goalkeeper or his captain ? 

I think it means that you have to pick from the same squad

At least 10 names of the names on the teamsheet have to have been on the previous teamsheet. You don't have to select all 10 to play, only ensure they are in the squad.

If we end up missing out on automatic and have a couple of dead rubbers before the play-offs begin I'd hope Mowbray did whatever he felt was best. If that means being hypocritical and doing what Huddersfield did last season so be it. I wouldn't pay any attention to these new rules. If Huddersfield can make a mockery of the relegation battle for their own benefit then we should do the same.

Lets be honest the league have been shown up here and now they're trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted.

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think it means that you have to pick from the same squad

At least 10 names of the names on the teamsheet have to have been on the previous teamsheet. You don't have to select all 10 to play, only ensure they are in the squad.

If we end up missing out on automatic and have a couple of dead rubbers before the play-offs begin I'd hope Mowbray did whatever he felt was best. If that means being hypocritical and doing what Huddersfield did last season so be it. I wouldn't pay any attention to these new rules. If Huddersfield can make a mockery of the relegation battle for their own benefit then we should do the same.

Lets be honest the league have been shown up here and now they're trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I thought I must of got it wrong somewhere. Agree with the rest. I don't blame Huddersfield and I'd expect us to do the same

Initially thought it was an unfair and inflexible rule. 

The reality is that it's a nothing rule, another "looks like we're doing something" rule from the EFL. 

Either way it should be very surmountable. All you need is a friendly doc to say half your players you want resting have colds and hey presto, jobs a good one. 

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

I've just checked and Huddersfield would not have been in breach of that rule at Birmingham last season.

Their team sheet featured 10 outfield names from the previous league game's team sheet.

Well done to the marvellous leadership at the EFL.

They have cobbled together a 'rule' that amazingly exonerates last season's abuse, which even they queried.

Who would have thought that.

Hereafter know as the 'Hudds Con Rule'.

I see that the EFL have just accepted a token fine from Leicester for infringing FFP way back in 2013. Pathethic shitehouses.

Archived