BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Not snowing at the moment, checked BBC weather and it looks like there will be no more snow. It will be bright(ish) tomorrow and unlikely to snow tomorrow. Game looks like it could go ahead. My only thought would be regarding the potential for a frozen pitch! 

Wimbledon's Chief Executive confident the game will be on 

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I would leave it an hour or so before leaving if you are driving. One of the criteria for the referee to consider will be the time that Rovers fans are leaving and the yardstick will be the official transport. The departure time for this has been taken down from the official website but I seem to recall leaving from Ewood at 1 pm.

The news will come through almost immediate on social media.

Official coaches leave at 12:30. I'd hope for an announcement, one way or the other, before then.

I have played on a near frozen pitch with moulded studs (many years ago) and to be honest i can remember it well ,not safe at all .

The refs first decission these days is the saftey of the players ,i very much doubt looking at the forecast temp wise the game will go ahead .

Even then if he decides he will still have to confront both managers ....

Not sure who the ref is but a local qualified ref should be booked in for a early inspection ...

Just now, den9112 said:

I have played on a near frozen pitch with moulded studs (many years ago) and to be honest i can remember it well ,not safe at all .

The refs first decission these days is the saftey of the players ,i very much doubt looking at the forecast temp wise the game will go ahead .

Even then if he decides he will still have to confront both managers ....

Not sure who the ref is but a local qualified ref should be booked in for a early inspection ...

You are correct about player safety being the priority be underpinning that will be several other things. 

If the game starts is he sure it would finish? This is the worst case scenario for me and hopefully he errs on the side of caution if he has any doubt.

Would the game turn into a farce due to the conditions? There have been many strange results on unfit pitches with unforced errors due to the conditions.

The approach roads and conditions inside the ground. There are several hundred Rovers fans on terracing and any snow or ice on this could lead to injury. That though is a decision for the club and police.

Whatever happens, Wimbedon need to make an early decision. Hundreds of Rovers fans will be leaving before midday, so some consideration should be shown towards them. But this is the UK, and we don't do forward planning well. 

It is likely that the decision will be taken out of the hands of the clubs and made by the Police given that the travel advice seems to be asking people in the south east to make journeys by 6pm tonight due to transport closing down later this evening with a further update for tomorrow expected by 10pm.  If the police deem the it is dangerous for people to get to the game and get away they will make the decision.

Like others have said I just hope the decision is made early tomorrow so that it stops fans from having to make wasted journey particularly given the difficult travel conditions predicted for the next 48 hours.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You are correct about player safety being the priority be underpinning that will be several other things. 

If the game starts is he sure it would finish? This is the worst case scenario for me and hopefully he errs on the side of caution if he has any doubt.

Would the game turn into a farce due to the conditions? There have been many strange results on unfit pitches with unforced errors due to the conditions.

The approach roads and conditions inside the ground. There are several hundred Rovers fans on terracing and any snow or ice on this could lead to injury. That though is a decision for the club and police.

Lots of factors there for a Ref to think off,possibly quite a lot of resposibilty ,if it was me then as you say err on the side of caution .

Unfortunately there are many considerations for decisions made in football but fans are not one of them. Whether it’s scheduling an fa cup semi in Cardiff when there’s no trains back or calling games off last minute fans are the last to be considered, if at all. 

• J*B pinned this topic

It shouldn't be Wimbledon's decision whether to hold a pitch inspection. If the referee has concerns, which with the forecast and current conditions he ought to, then he (or someone else of such standing) should be at the ground early doors tomorrow to have a look and consider the situation.

Wimbledon have no doubt done all that can be expected of them with the covers etc. but to not even have an inspection planned given the expected temperatures would be silly.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It shouldn't be Wimbledon's decision whether to hold a pitch inspection. If the referee has concerns, which with the forecast and current conditions he ought to, then he (or someone else of such standing) should be at the ground early doors tomorrow to have a look and consider the situation.

Wimbledon have no doubt done all that can be expected of them with the covers etc. but to not even have an inspection planned given the expected temperatures would be silly.

I'm sure it will be taken out of their hands and be decided by the police as Kamy says. Going off Accuweather it'll be below freezing by kick off and have an actual feel of minus six, very surprised if it isn't postponed again. 

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I find it incredible that there isn't an inspection planned. The referee is a full time official who can be there at anytime. If it was me I would insist on being be there late morning for an inspection and not leave it in the hands of the club who have a vested interest in playing the game. In these situations I am suspicious that the home club, not wanting the game off believe the later they leave it there is more chance of the referee giving it the go ahead.

A few years ago Fulham tried this and didn't alert the referee to any potential problems and he got there at the normal reporting time only to find a frozen pitch and promptly called the game off. For the rearranged game (out of embarrassment) Fulham paid for the coaches of the supporters who had travelled down. Their opponents that day were Blackburn Rovers.

Just now, arbitro said:

I find it incredible that there isn't an inspection planned. The referee is a full time official who can be there at anytime. If it was me I would insist on being be there late morning for an inspection and not leave it in the hands of the club who have a vested interest in playing the game. In these situations I am suspicious that the home club, not wanting the game off believe the later they leave it there is more chance of the referee giving it the go ahead.

A few years ago Fulham tried this and didn't alert the referee to any potential problems and he got there at the normal reporting time only to find a frozen pitch and promptly called the game off. For the rearranged game (out of embarrassment) Fulham paid for the coaches of the supporters who had travelled down. Their opponents that day were Blackburn Rovers.

If the referee is full time then there is no excuse for him not to be down at Kingsmeadow bright and early and keep an eye on it. If the referee wasn't full time I would still expect someone else qualified from the area to be on hand to advise and offer his opinion given the severity of the forecast weather.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

I thought refs where only full time in the prem and the championship

The two groups of full time officials are named Select Groups One and Two and they predominantly officiate in PL and Championship games but this doesn't preclude them from doing League One or Two matches.

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Given the sickness bug, two away games in a few days and bad weather conditions being a great leveler, perhaps Wimbledon spy an opportunity and will do everything they can to make the game go ahead.  

It's interesting that the Wimbledon Chief Executive and Manager have made contrasted statements regarding the game going ahead. Reading between the lines one is about the income from a big pay day for them and the other from a football perspective. 

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

It is likely that the decision will be taken out of the hands of the clubs and made by the Police given that the travel advice seems to be asking people in the south east to make journeys by 6pm tonight due to transport closing down later this evening with a further update for tomorrow expected by 10pm.  If the police deem the it is dangerous for people to get to the game and get away they will make the decision.

Like others have said I just hope the decision is made early tomorrow so that it stops fans from having to make wasted journey particularly given the difficult travel conditions predicted for the next 48 hours.

Agreed, I don't think the state of the pitch will be the problem.

The Met Office has also upgraded a snow warning tomorrow from Yellow to Amber for the Greater London area.

I once went to a match at Cambridge which got abandoned at half time.

For the sake of those travelling, we don't want a repeat

20 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's interesting that the Wimbledon Chief Executive and Manager have made contrasted statements regarding the game going ahead. Reading between the lines one is about the income from a big pay day for them and the other from a football perspective. 

I'd agree with that. Only thing I would say, as Crimpshire posted above, is that you'd have thought the manager would smell an opportunity against us too due to the sickness bug and having played away just 3 days previous.

I'm only travelling a few miles, so it doesn't affect me too much, but I just hope for the sake of those travelling from Lancashire that they do get the ref down as you suggest early doors to make the call.

Archived