BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

On 2/24/2018 at 14:41, OnePhilT said:

It's not even in Wimbledon. It's in Kingston/Norbiton/Surbiton area. Maybe they weren't allowed to set up in Wimbledon, or maybe it was the only suitable ground they could find nearby.

Bit of the back story on AFC Wimbledon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon

I can’t believe Rovers are playing In Kingston. I grew up there and Kingstonian were in the Isthmian League I believe. Anyway potential banana skin at a small ground with big blokes. Glad Vinny Jones isn’t playing.

Best of luck to those going down. Used to be a few pubs on the river between Kingston and Richmond worth checking out. 

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be surprised if this game was on given the forecast and facilities at Wimbledon.

Hopefully the referee is there early tomorrow and makes a decision. If its frozen tomorrow morning and forecast to go sub-zero tomorrow night then there's no point waiting on it. The last thing I/we need is half a day off work and to get near London before making a decision that could be made early doors.

32 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I wonder if they have underground heating for their pitch? If they don't and given the forecast I can't see this game being on.

Would be amazed if they did have undersoil heating given size of stadium etc.

Ardley, their gaffer, commented this morning ‘it would be a huge effort to get this to go ahead’.

Not looking good. As others have said, for the sake of our fans they need to make a decision early doors tomorrow.

Well, we’ve had a proper snowfall this morning in Woking, which is less than 20 miles from Kingston. It has now stopped, and started to melt a little. 

As much as I would be gutted to have to wait for this one again, with a heavy heart, I wholeheartedly agree with FGS.

I’m thinking of setting off about midday. So if pitch is frozen with the best will in the world can’t see it being called off then.

I can easily envisage arriving in London 4ish, grabbing a bite to eat, game getting called 5pm then driving straight home after it’s postponed. Potentially 9+ hours and 500 mile round trip for an overpriced feed in Kingston-upon-Thames.

But if I decided not to go I guarantee it will be on. Sod’s law. 

Just now, matt83 said:

I’m thinking of setting off about midday. So if pitch is frozen with the best will in the world can’t see it being called off then.

I can easily envisage arriving in London 4ish, grabbing a bite to eat, game getting called 5pm then driving straight home after it’s postponed. Potentially 9+ hours and 500 mile round trip for an overpriced feed in Kingston-upon-Thames.

Jesus ,that is rough. You would think a decision could be made earlier to cut down on people needlessly travelling in such dangerous conditions 

You’re right about the over-priced feed. You’ll have to forego a program and a beer at the game, with the food prices around there :lol: Although Maccie D’s prices are pretty homogenous I think, notwithstanding Services and stations. Meanwhile, a regular whopper meal at Waterloo station will set you back about £9.50, no exaggeration. :(

• Backroom
1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

Would be a huge bonus for us if this is called off. Get clear of this sickness bug in the squad and have everyone fresh for sunday

Not sure really, the dynamic changes game by game.

If it's on then it's in our hands to guarantee that at kick off on Sunday we are top of the league.

If it's off then Wigan could go above us Tuesday night and Shrewsbury could go above us on Saturday meaning we start the game in third place which changes the feeling a little.

Just now, philipl said:

London train services stopping at 11 and starting late: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/snow-flurries-fall-in-london-and-met-office-warns-of-travel-disruption-as-freezing-siberian-blast-a3775386.html

Best to think of this one as being off and being surprised if it is on.

Their chairman "expects" it to go ahead(10.47)

I smell BS from him!

14 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I would leave it an hour or so before leaving if you are driving. One of the criteria for the referee to consider will be the time that Rovers fans are leaving and the yardstick will be the official transport. The departure time for this has been taken down from the official website but I seem to recall leaving from Ewood at 1 pm.

The news will come through almost immediate on social media.

Just now, Tom said:

Not sure really, the dynamic changes game by game.

If it's on then it's in our hands to guarantee that at kick off on Sunday we are top of the league.

If it's off then Wigan could go above us Tuesday night and Shrewsbury could go above us on Saturday meaning we start the game in third place which changes the feeling a little.

The Memorial Ground doesn't have under soil heating but crucially the weather forecast for Bristol is no snow until after Tuesday and temperatures holding at 1 degree so above freezing. So the Wigan game could go ahead even if our's doesn't.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc-wimbledon-v-blackburn-rovers-update-dons-chief-executive-confident-that-league-one-match-will-be-played/

Wimbledon Chief Exec's views on the game. Think he's being a bit optimistic/delusional myself and I'd hope the referee was there early doors tomorrow to have a look at the pitch regardless of how many covers there are.

Just now, JHRover said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc-wimbledon-v-blackburn-rovers-update-dons-chief-executive-confident-that-league-one-match-will-be-played/

Wimbledon Chief Exec's views on the game. Think he's being a bit optimistic/delusional myself and I'd hope the referee was there early doors tomorrow to have a look at the pitch regardless of how many covers there are.

The real issue with using covers is that during the day when the temperature rises the pitch will condensate and once they are removed (assuming zero or minus temperature) there is a strong possibility the pitch will freeze, exacerbated by the extra moisture. The referee will hopefully consider this when he does his inspection and get an up to date hourly forecast from the Met Office. And I speak from experience having called Mansfield v Torquay off (a night match too) at 7.10 pm, not long after the covers were removed. I was as popular as a rattle snake in a lucky dip that night and had total sympathy with the fans, particularly those from Torquay.

Archived