BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JHRover said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc-wimbledon-v-blackburn-rovers-update-dons-chief-executive-confident-that-league-one-match-will-be-played/

Wimbledon Chief Exec's views on the game. Think he's being a bit optimistic/delusional myself and I'd hope the referee was there early doors tomorrow to have a look at the pitch regardless of how many covers there are.

If the pitch inspection does not go ahead, as this guy doesn't consider their to be a "severe doubt" about it going ahead, then I hope he pays the cost of the travel, for those who go and find it postponed. I am not going, but would be gutted of I was and that happened. I can't see this going ahead and think a pitch inspection as soon as possible tomorrow morning, is a must.

Yes, I was also at the Cambridge game that got abandoned at half time. They didn’t tell us for ages, the players just didn’t come back out. Eventually the announcement “all fans turning upto the rearranged fixture shall upon showing their ticket for the abandoned game receive a free programme! 

I think my words were along the lines of mmm very generous and considerate.?

I was also at Newport soaked thru

At this point I wud like to stres ive been to many that have been played!

9 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Where will be best to get a bite to eat and drink before hand for away fans?

There was a Wetherspoons just up the road at New Malden when I went a few years ago. About 15 minutes walk to the ground.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I find it incredible that there isn't an inspection planned. The referee is a full time official who can be there at anytime. If it was me I would insist on being be there late morning for an inspection and not leave it in the hands of the club who have a vested interest in playing the game. In these situations I am suspicious that the home club, not wanting the game off believe the later they leave it there is more chance of the referee giving it the go ahead.

A few years ago Fulham tried this and didn't alert the referee to any potential problems and he got there at the normal reporting time only to find a frozen pitch and promptly called the game off. For the rearranged game (out of embarrassment) Fulham paid for the coaches of the supporters who had travelled down. Their opponents that day were Blackburn Rovers.

I went to that and it was a 3pm kick off on a Saturday afternoon !

Just now, martonrover said:

Once again, I would say that the pitch is unlikely to be the issue.

If conditions in the surrounding area are poor, the Police may ask for a postponement.

It will all come down to the amount of snowfall.

There was no snowfall at Fulham , it was just a bloody cold day !!!

Just now, martonrover said:

Yes, same at Cambridge, but Wimbledon appear confident about their pitch covers.

If the pitch does turn out to be unplayable following the media releases today, they are going to look very silly.

True , looking at the forecast , I would be surprised if it was passed fit , certainly wont be at 2130...

The days of playing on frozen have almost disappeared ... 

Just now, Waggy76 said:

True , looking at the forecast , I would be surprised if it was passed fit , certainly wont be at 2130...

The days of playing on frozen have almost disappeared ... 

A late postponement would be unforgivable.

Any doubt whatsoever, it should be called off early tomorrow morning.

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

In reality, there's bound to be much debate regarding the weather.

Surely common sense should prevail and the fact that The Rovers have a bug going through the club should be sufficient to call the game off. ;-)

As long we don't do a Middlesboro !!!!

If the  ref declares the pitch fit , we play !

9 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

As long we don't do a Middlesboro !!!!

If the  ref declares the pitch fit , we play !

I'm sure we won't Waggy but I know what you mean.

If it's fit to play, let's tear the Wombles a new one, something our illustrious, six fingered East Lancashire neighbours couldn't do many years ago.

Remember you're a Womble still resonates with me but Glad all over still is a catalyst for nightmares!

Some at Wimbledon obviously desperately want this game to go ahead. Good time t play us with illness, the pitch might suit them better in that condition or whatnot.

The pitch is not really the issue though, it's the dangerous pavements, roads and everything else. 

Better it's just called off as early as possible  - would suit us actually.

42 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Absolute nationwide pandemonium at the prospect of a bit of Snow.....:wacko:

1-1 tomorrow night,the sickness bug has me slightly worried....absolute pandemonium I tells thee.

I agree about a general over reaction to any winter weather, particularly in the South.

However, a late postponement (or abandonment) of a match where the away fans have a 200+ mile trip is another matter.

Archived