BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I find it incredible that there isn't an inspection planned. The referee is a full time official who can be there at anytime. If it was me I would insist on being be there late morning for an inspection and not leave it in the hands of the club who have a vested interest in playing the game. In these situations I am suspicious that the home club, not wanting the game off believe the later they leave it there is more chance of the referee giving it the go ahead.

A few years ago Fulham tried this and didn't alert the referee to any potential problems and he got there at the normal reporting time only to find a frozen pitch and promptly called the game off. For the rearranged game (out of embarrassment) Fulham paid for the coaches of the supporters who had travelled down. Their opponents that day were Blackburn Rovers.

I went to that one! My wife got me the ticket as a birthday present (30th too!), and I hadn’t been to a game in ages. You can imagine I was slightly miffed! Ended up spending the whole day shopping in West London :angry: Bloody bar stewards!

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, arbitro said:

I find it incredible that there isn't an inspection planned. The referee is a full time official who can be there at anytime. If it was me I would insist on being be there late morning for an inspection and not leave it in the hands of the club who have a vested interest in playing the game. In these situations I am suspicious that the home club, not wanting the game off believe the later they leave it there is more chance of the referee giving it the go ahead.

A few years ago Fulham tried this and didn't alert the referee to any potential problems and he got there at the normal reporting time only to find a frozen pitch and promptly called the game off. For the rearranged game (out of embarrassment) Fulham paid for the coaches of the supporters who had travelled down. Their opponents that day were Blackburn Rovers.

I was walking between Charing cross and Embankment when I was told the game was off by a rover walking in the other direction. Mind you, I did live in south London at the time, so can't grumble too much.

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

It was snowing here in Tenerife yesterday but this morning mt teide is covered!

Well it's high enough to be covered isn't it.

3 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

As long we don't do a Middlesboro !!!!

If the  ref declares the pitch fit , we play !

Yeah. If we send down the under 23s we should murder 'em.

Seriously though, this game should be postponed once again to be played in warmer, better weather.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

When men were men, and so were many of the women

I'm sure there's plenty of similar footage at Ewood blueboy. I can recall many times where the pitch was covered in snow, the lines swept about a foot either side but marked out in blue and playing with an orange ball.

As you say, when men were men and women were grateful. Nobody dared wear gloves or dive in those days!

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Great post. None of them wearing gloves, none of them contesting any of the free kicks, just letting the ref get on with it and probably all wanted the game to go ahead without question. Imagine all the current Premier League Latinos having to play in such conditions and also the hissy fits that Guardiola etc would throw!

I’m in South East London but know Kingston well. It’s currently very cold but no snow in sight as of yet. Suspect the game will be fine unless London is covered in a light dusting of snow tomorrow morning, in which case London snow panic will kick in!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Brilliant footage....thanks for that.

Some great old players mentioned in the commentary.....Maurice Setters, Don Howe, Arthur Ellis (referee) just a few I recognised.

Never played on ice like that but plenty of times on light dustings of snow. Loved it. 

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bulgaria played an official match on a similar if not worst pitch against Malta in 2013

okay not really but still

btw I remember it much worse i might be thinkin of a diffirent game.. whatever

Friends living in central London have posted pictures of a dusting of snow that has settled.

It will be 2 degrees colder out in Kingston.

High probability of this one not finishing even if it starts but let's see.

Needs a high tempo approach to win. I fear we will come unstuck with a keep it tight and nick one game plan. 

6 hours ago, skous18 said:

Bulgaria played an official match on a similar if not worst pitch against Malta in 2013

okay not really but still

btw I remember it much wore i might be think of a diffirent game.. whatever

Hogg is a much better keeper than that but I don't think he can blame his porosity on the ice!

WESTMINSTER WEATHER: ❄❄⛄ It’s going to be even colder than yesterday, with temperatures barely creeping above freezing all day and a brutal windchill factor making it feel like its -7C to -4C. Heavy snow showers are forecast in London during the middle of the day, though there should be spells of sunshine too. Naturally, travel chaos is also predicted — rail commuters are advised to check live updates before they travel.

None of this is looking good but I’m still clinging on to weather hyperbole aimed at southerners. Few years ago I was in London and in one of their papers it was predicting biblical floods, end of the world stuff. That was on a Thursday. The following day I went to the oval and watched 100 overs of cricket and got sun burnt.

I live and work in the Wimbledon area and there’s no snow whatsoever this morn though it could change.Yes it’s cold but not on the scale some media outlets are reporting eg the Standard etc. The  Kingstonian match just up the road was called off last night  but I’m hoping the covers on the pitch at kingsmeadow will do the business. 

It’s a ridiculously small  ground  and ive no idea how they fit 750 on the four or five steps of the away end! I’d say it’s one below  the conference.There’s a great little social club attached to the club (not on the scale of the’ Sadlers’ on Saturday though) but it does fill up.  After the match some of the players do interviews and MoM awards take place. There aren’t many pubs in the vicinity but a few in norbiton near the station or many good ones further on in Kingston and Wimbledon.

The club is due to move back to plough lane in a couple of years time so think this will definitely be the one and only experience  of kingsmeadow. It’s a proper football club and never thought we would end up playing against them when formed in 2002 on Wimbledon Common at the same time we were winning the league cup.

Safe journey down one and all. 

Just now, Muffin said:

I live and work in the Wimbledon area and there’s no snow whatsoever this morn though it could change.Yes it’s cold but not on the scale some media outlets are reporting eg the Standard etc. The  Kingstonian match just up the road was called off last night  but I’m hoping the covers on the pitch at kingsmeadow will do the business. 

It’s a ridiculously small  ground  and ive no idea how they fit 750 on the four or five steps of the away end! I’d say it’s one below  the conference.There’s a great little social club attached to the club (not on the scale of the’ Sadlers’ on Saturday though) but it does fill up.  After the match some of the players do interviews and MoM awards take place. There aren’t many pubs in the vicinity but a few in norbiton near the station or many good ones further on in Kingston and Wimbledon.

The club is due to move back to plough lane in a couple of years time so think this will definitely be the one and only experience  of kingsmeadow. It’s a proper football club and never thought we would end up playing against them when formed in 2002 on Wimbledon Common at the same time we were winning the league cup.

Safe journey down one and all. 

Don’t Kingstonian play at Leatherhead? I doubt they put the same effort into covering the pitch etc. 

Archived