BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

The pitch yesterday. https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2018/february/covers-laid-down-to-protect-pitch-for-blackburn-game/

'Perfectly playable' before the covers were laid.

'If anything changes due to the weather, we will keep supporters updated via the official website, along with the club's official Twitter and Facebook accounts'

Wimbledon twitter https://twitter.com/afcwimbledon

Large

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The pitch yesterday. https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2018/february/covers-laid-down-to-protect-pitch-for-blackburn-game/

'Perfectly playable' before the covers were laid.

'If anything changes due to the weather, we will keep supporters updated via the official website, along with the club's official Twitter and Facebook accounts'

Wimbledon twitter https://twitter.com/afcwimbledon

Large

Where's the stadium ?? :P

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Friends living in central London have posted pictures of a dusting of snow that has settled.

A 'dusting'. Sounds brutal. How will they cope?

It will be 2 degrees colder out in Kingston.

I can't even imagine the horror.

High probability of this one not finishing even if it starts but let's see.

FFS! You should work for the Daily Express.

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Ha. The weight of the snow crushed it. I think that's the away end that runs along the side of the pitch.

Loving the royal box above it. Maybe the Venkys will turn up if they see where they could be sitting

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

None of this is looking good but I’m still clinging on to weather hyperbole aimed at southerners. Few years ago I was in London and in one of their papers it was predicting biblical floods, end of the world stuff. That was on a Thursday. The following day I went to the oval and watched 100 overs of cricket and got sun burnt.

Probably the most accurate assessment. The BBC now have just two areas of the country affected by snow, one being Kent and the southeast but missing London. Low temperatures from windchill will be the issue. 

Rest of it is simply to fill news time and sell newspapers. 

Is snow the issue here? I'd have thought the temperature is the bigger problem. Barely got above 0 for the last 48 hours and the forecast today is for a maximum of 2 this afternoon before reaching -1 at kick off. You can put all the covers in the world over the pitch but once they are off and the pitch exposed to those temperatures there is a risk of the surface not being fit to play on.

The referee should be there by noon to have a look what it is like. Given the forecast and weather over the last couple of days along with the lack of undersoil heating he should be working on the basis the game is likely to run into difficulties, not assume that everything is going to be ok because Wimbledon have put the covers on.

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Is snow the issue here? I'd have thought the temperature is the bigger problem. Barely got above 0 for the last 48 hours and the forecast today is for a maximum of 2 this afternoon before reaching -1 at kick off. You can put all the covers in the world over the pitch but once they are off and the pitch exposed to those temperatures there is a risk of the surface not being fit to play on.

The referee should be there by noon to have a look what it is like. Given the forecast and weather over the last couple of days along with the lack of undersoil heating he should be working on the basis the game is likely to run into difficulties, not assume that everything is going to be ok because Wimbledon have put the covers on.

It'll be -2 degrees by kick off with a real feel of -5, how do they think this will be playable?

45 minutes ago, Paul said:

Probably the most accurate assessment. The BBC now have just two areas of the country affected by snow, one being Kent and the southeast but missing London. Low temperatures from windchill will be the issue. 

Rest of it is simply to fill news time and sell newspapers. 

Shows what they know. 2" of snow in Rochdale this morning.

With this going ahead you have the feeling that it could be a real defining moment in our season. Win this and it sends out a real marker; would also put big doubt in the minds of the travelling pack, especially if Wigan’s game is called off or if they don’t win (there is a pitch inspection for this lunchtime). Whilst a draw isn’t the end of the world, we need that win tonight, IMO.

Find it bizarre that Shrewsbury's game off due to temperature predictions and fact pitch will be frozen when covers come off, yet it's a non league pitch and temp is forecast the same or worse yet fully confident

Don't get me wrong I'm hopeful it's on, but if it gets called off late I'll be fuming.

Well no word on postponement, no hint of a pitch inspection so no point in sitting around wondering, I’m off. Perhaps I’ll fall foul of a modern twist on one of Aesop's Fables by ignoring the met office who cried wolf but c’est la vie.

Time to break away from the nanny state continuously feather nesting us with warning after warning. I’m convinced we’re producing a nation of risk averse people who have lost the ability to risk assess for themselves. Hence new generations seemingly don’t know when to take care or what’s actually dangerous as all decisions have been made for them. If the pitch is frozen fine but if it’s the surrounding roads are icy-take extra care, if pavements are slippy-go steady, if you fall-dozy bugger, get up, get the yellow ball out, get the 3 points, get home safely, job done.

And if folk aren’t up for the “danger” stay home put the fire on and have relaxing drink.

Rant over. 

Come on you blues!!!!! 

Archived