BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have just had a text to say definitely ON. Wimbledon have said no issues with the pitch.

An hour ago their website updated info on buying tickets today pre match. No tickets available for purchase in the evening.

They are hopeful.... or ... simply mercenary, get the cash in now and worry later.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Well no word on postponement, no hint of a pitch inspection so no point in sitting around wondering, I’m off. Perhaps I’ll fall foul of a modern twist on one of Aesop's Fables by ignoring the met office who cried wolf but c’est la vie.

Time to break away from the nanny state continuously feather nesting us with warning after warning. I’m convinced we’re producing a nation of risk averse people who have lost the ability to risk assess for themselves. Hence new generations seemingly don’t know when to take care or what’s actually dangerous as all decisions have been made for them. If the pitch is frozen fine but if it’s the surrounding roads are icy-take extra care, if pavements are slippy-go steady, if you fall-dozy bugger, get up, get the yellow ball out, get the 3 points, get home safely, job done.

And if folk aren’t up for the “danger” stay home put the fire on and have relaxing drink.

Rant over. 

Come on you blues!!!!! 

Well said. 3 points here would be huge, particualrly with Wigan and Shrewsburys fixtures backlog filling up further. 

A good hard pitch, perfect for our quick and crisp passing which we are good at when we are on song. 

• Backroom
Just now, Gordon Gekko said:

Wigan game postponed!

Again good news, sure they may be fresher for weekend but being Sunday we have plenty of time to recover.

Win tonight and we can open a little gap and our rivals have to squeeze games in where there isn't many gaps!

Must win now for sure 

I find it very strange that both Shrewsbury and Bristol's game have been postponed but not even a hint at an inspection at ours, you would think both of them clubs have better facilitys than Kingsmeadow too. Something doesn't sit right with me here, I hope it doesn't get called off at 5pm or something when everyone is there.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I find it very strange that both Shrewsbury and Bristol's game have been postponed but not even a hint at an inspection at ours, you would think both of them clubs have better facilitys than Kingsmeadow too. Something doesn't sit right with me here, I hope it doesn't get called off at 5pm or something when everyone is there.

I'm 25 miles from Shrewsbury and not a flake of snow on the ground, 1 degree and brilliant sunshine!

Strange decision that one for me, but then again a few years ago I travelled from Nelson to Bburn with a colleague, he got out at Darwen and jumped in his car back to Bolton and was stuck at Bull Hill for 3hrs in snow!

We never saw any in Bburn...

I really hope that our fans don't end up having a wasted journey.

My (albeit very limited) understanding of covering pitches is that when the covers are lifted there are water particles and condensation that will have built up under the covers so if the temps are below freezing a playable pitch at 6pm will be completely frozen over by 8pm.  

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I still think it will be postponed or abandoned if it starts.

I don't understand what Wimbledon are playing at.They must be having a brain womble.

If the game kicks off do they have to refund the spectators ? I remember going to a game at Sporland a few years ago. It was a match were the opposition were top of the league and brought loads of fans, Rochdale as usual were desperate for cash. It was really foggy and from the terraces behind the goal you couldn't see players on the half way line. They played for about 30 minutes then called the game off. Big pay day and No refunds in those days. 

Maybe Arbitro can explain what the rules are now regarding fog. In the old days I thought the ref had to stand on the half way line and see both goals relatively clearly. In rugby league the ref had to stand half way between the posts and the half way line and see the far posts relatively clearly.

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm 25 miles from Shrewsbury and not a flake of snow on the ground, 1 degree and brilliant sunshine!

Strange decision that one for me, but then again a few years ago I travelled from Nelson to Bburn with a colleague, he got out at Darwen and jumped in his car back to Bolton and was stuck at Bull Hill for 3hrs in snow!

We never saw any in Bburn...

I live in shrewswbury (put pitch forks away please lol) it has snowed a little but it has not stuck to the ground just very cold 

i am just leaving now for tonight game i hope it will still be on :)

35 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Is the Shrewsbury game a 2 legged affair ??

35 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I still think it will be postponed or abandoned if it starts.

I don't understand what Wimbledon are playing at.They must be having a brain womble.

I understand the weather in Bristol and Shrewsbury is better than in London.

25 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I really hope that our fans don't end up having a wasted journey.

My (albeit very limited) understanding of covering pitches is that when the covers are lifted there are water particles and condensation that will have built up under the covers so if the temps are below freezing a playable pitch at 6pm will be completely frozen over by 8pm.  

Maybe Wimbledon are trying to get their own back after that time they had a match at a waterlogged Ewood called off at the last minute.

I remember Vinnie Jones and Co diving in the puddles on the pitch

I think you're all being a bit soft and senstationalist, it's cold, not the end of the bloomin world. The pitch at Wombledon is dry and covered which are the two main issues, I'm sure we've all been at Ewood on winter tuesday evenings when it's easily been in the negative figures. The complete overreaction in the media/social media to any form of 'extreme' weather is laughable.

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

I think you're all being a bit soft and senstationalist, it's cold, not the end of the bloomin world. The pitch at Wombledon is dry and covered which are the two main issues, I'm sure we've all been at Ewood on winter tuesday evenings when it's easily been in the negative figures. The complete overreaction in the media/social media to any form of 'extreme' weather is laughable.

We've also been due to go to Ewood when the undersoil heating has broken and the game has been called off.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/666971.Rovers_probe_after_game_called_off/

Archived