BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

I think you're all being a bit soft and senstationalist, it's cold, not the end of the bloomin world. The pitch at Wombledon is dry and covered which are the two main issues, I'm sure we've all been at Ewood on winter tuesday evenings when it's easily been in the negative figures. The complete overreaction in the media/social media to any form of 'extreme' weather is laughable.

At minus 2 degrees how hard do you think the pitch is going to be? What would you think if our Bradley did his ankle on said hard pitch? 

What about if there is any snow in the non seating stands?

Its not about being 'soft' it's not wanting a wasted journey for our fans in truth. 

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hasta said:

We've also been due to go to Ewood when the undersoil heating has broken and the game has been called off.

That's different though isn't it, Rovers never cover the pitch as it's got undersoil heating. So the few occasions it has stopped working there has been no contingency.

The few games I remember being called off for poor weather at Ewood were due to the footprint rather than the pitch, Sunderland in between christmas and new year being the stand out. I remember getting to the Havelock to be told it was called off.

I think you're all being a bit soft and senstationalist, it's cold, not the end of the bloomin world. The pitch at Wombledon is dry and covered which are the two main issues, I'm sure we've all been at Ewood on winter tuesday evenings when it's easily been in the negative figures. The complete overreaction in the media/social media to any form of 'extreme' weather is laughable.

My thoughts exactly when I read the thread earlier, then I bloody well joined in......

Rest assured Wimbledon will not be as bad as Cambridge away on a Tuesday night abandoned at H/T, now that was a long way home.

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

At minus 2 degrees how hard do you think the pitch is going to be? What would you think if our Bradley did his ankle on said hard pitch? 

What about if there is any snow in the non seating stands?

Its not about being 'soft' it's not wanting a wasted journey for our fans in truth. 

Its currently -2 in lancaster, I've just been for a run on my lunch around the pitches at the University and the ground is lovely and soft, perfect for a stud to be honest. 

That's different though isn't it, Rovers never cover the pitch as it's got undersoil heating. So the few occasions it has stopped working there has been no contingency.

The few games I remember being called off for poor weather at Ewood were due to the footprint rather than the pitch, Sunderland in between christmas and new year being the stand out. I remember getting to the Havelock to be told it was called off.

No. The Sunderland game is on the link on my post (which I edited and added probably after you had seen it).

The undersoil heating was turned on. They thought it was working and the pitch was playable when officials arrived (similar to taking the covers off). However it hadn't been working properly and the temperatures then dropped sufficient that the pitch was deemed frozen.

Regardless of if it's covered, if it is cold enough when the covers come off it will freeze pretty quickly.  I hope not for the sake of the travelling fans and because it would be a huge boost if we ended up 4 points clear tonight.

edit - see den's post above !

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Gav said:

My thoughts exactly when I read the thread earlier, then I bloody well joined in......

Rest assured Wimbledon will not be as bad as Cambridge away on a Tuesday night abandoned at H/T, now that was a long way home.

As long as it's not abandoned mid match - that would be worst case scenario - unless we are losing that is, in that case call it off ref!

I didn't know that, I always thought it was for the footprint.

I remember getting out of the car to walk to Ewood dreading sitting there for 90 minutes, at the time I left the car it was something like -7

I think the League Cup Semi against Villa was abandoned because of the surrounding snow rather than the condition of the playing surface.

May not be any indicator at all because I doubt the pitch is covered but Hampton and Richmond's match in the national league tonight has already been called off. Frozen pitch

Similar standard of ground to Kingsmeadow and about 2 or 3 miles away.

sorry, I see this has been posted already

Just now, Hasta said:

I think the League Cup Semi against Villa was abandoned because of the surrounding snow rather than the condition of the playing surface.

I seem to remember a league cup game against Villa (or maybe Sunderland) that went to ET and Penalties and it was -3 when I got back to the car, that was unpleasant.

Lets hope the rovers get the 3 points if the game goes ahead. 

I am surprised it's still on to be honest it's not just the safety of the players, but what about the Rovers fans travelling back after the game in the freezing temperatures that are being forecast.

Just now, gazsimm said:

Lets hope the rovers get the 3 points if the game goes ahead. 

I am surprised it's still on to be honest it's not just the safety of the players, but what about the Rovers fans travelling back after the game in the freezing temperatures that are being forecast.

This is my concern more than anything else. If this game becomes a wasted journey for those brave enough to go - or if it is allowed to carry on and our supporters suffer a horrid trek back, wont be happy.

2 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Shrewsbury called theirs off based on when they take the covers off and a -4 temp forecast at kick off it would just freeze up,weather at Kingston is for -3 around kick off .

Current temperature in Shrewsbury is 1 and in Reading and Southampton 0 (a better guide than central London). Met forecast now is for a small band of snow in London before kick-off.

Archived