BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon v Rovers

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Got an email from Rovers within two minutes of the final whistle. Offering home shirt for £20 to celebrate tonight’s win:

“Get your shirt now and wear your colours with pride this weekends game vs Wigan”

Someone’s on the ball

Bastards! I bought mine after last home game with 30% off!!

Will wear with pride in Sunday! Great win tonight. Chuffed to bits! COYB

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from a chilly sarf London but very little snow - what was the weather fuss all about ???

Well, that was a strange experience. Had full roast dinner before the match in the entertainment "suite" (former Wimbledon favourites Dickie Guy and Dave Bassett were on the next table), then walked out into what is clearly a non-league ground to watch the match in a tiny shed of a "stand" right behind the dugout. 

To say watching the match was very difficult is putting it mildly but well done to the Rovers fans for making plenty of noise and a big thumbs down to the jobsworth Wimbledon stewards who tried to bar me from returning to my place after a half time visit to the loo. 

We were very average first half but played much better in the second. Wimbledon were poor and rarely threatened - I can't remember Raya making a save and at no time was I ever concerned we might not win the match. 

Pluses were Lenihan, who had a superb game at the back, and Graham, who worked his socks off and played very well. The disinterested player of early season has gone. Bennett's goal was a peach and the third goal a touch of class from Dack after a nice pass from Graham.

Minus was Mowbray sticking Payne out on the right wing, and another iffy performance from Williams. 

On to the big one on Sunday. If we can beat Wigan I think the title will be ours. 

Raya 6 - did not have much to do, misskicked a few balls
Williams 7 solid in defence not so good in attack
Mulgrew 8 a rock
Lenihan 9 even better than mulgrew
Nyambe 6 looked a bit shaky in defence
Payne 6 not his best game,tried hard but was wasted on the wing
Smallwood 7 an avarage game for him
Bennett 8 good goal other than that nothing special just a typical bennett performance
Dack 9 scored two goals cant really ask for much more
Graham 7 kept the ball well a couple of times, good pass for dackys goal but had no chances to score today
Armstrong 8 looked a threat every time the ball was in his feet, crackin little player

Evans 6 did not give the ball away but did not created anything either
Nuttall 6 won 4 headers straigh away when he came in but that was it, he tried thou, he did not look lazy today (aka Samuel)
Antonsson had no time to do whatever

One word from Mowbray post match summed the performance up for me - professional. The ground was like going back in time with a low level, restricted view for many of us. In fairness to Wimbledon though they were correct about not seeing any problem with the pitch.

Another three points, Wigans superior goal difference reduced, clean sheet and a centre back in Lenihan who was by far the best player on the pitch tonight. He will be key over the coming weeks.

12 hours ago, gazsimm said:

Wimbledon really don't want this game to be called off. Lets hope they get this right and it's not a wasted day for the rovers fans travelling down there.

Tremendous win, outstanding support from Solid gold fans who deserve every ounce of those three points in their back pockets. A win against Wigan would be something very special. 

5 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Comfortably the worst away experience I’ve ever had. Dreadful. Didn’t see a thing all game. Joke of a ground. Waste of time.

very poor viewing angles for the majority of fans... small terrace not fit for purpose.

Waste of time, though?!? ?

9 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Comfortably the worst away experience I’ve ever had. Dreadful. Didn’t see a thing all game. Joke of a ground. Waste of time.

And that in a nutshell is why a famous old club of our stature and our great fans deserve so much better than this league....that's not arrogance,it's the damn well honest truth Ruth!

Another great result,the manager and players can do no more,the Club feels like it is breathing once more,the heartbeat is there again.

Let's go up as Champions.:brfc:

Echo comments about Lenihan's performance, I thought he was superb last night. Probably my MOM if Dack hadn't got his second. Though he was holding his groin at the end when he sliced a clearance so hopefully it's just nothing and he's available for Sunday.

Just about thawed out from last night. Fantastic win; that was a real banana skin in terrible weather against a side at an extremely tight ground (less said about the view the better - have neck ache today!) who play a little like the Dons of old as another poster said.

First half was more than forgettable, we just couldn’t get going but they were no better. After ten or so mins in the second half we got a grip on the game and thanks to a stunner from Bennett and a majestic Dack finish we saw it out worthy winners. You felt it we had really wanted to we could have gone on to score a couple more. The pace that we were breaking was frightening and they couldn’t cope.

Lenihan and Mulgrew were immense. Darragh really is like a new signing; far too good for this league. Dack was Dack, again, a class above.

Onto Sunday; I do hope TM is drilling into the players that it’s one we need to win as opposed to a ‘must not lose’. You really do get the feeling if we win that then we can go on to not only get automatic, but go up as Champions.

8 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Scrappy game, but yet again, a ruthless win in the bag.

The first half was dire, and I'm not sure how we went in at the break a goal up. It didn't look like it crossed the line from the camera angle, but there's no way to tell from that, other than to trust the kind officials.

The second half was much better from us. An unexpected strike from Bennett,, and the standout moment of the match, with Graham's unusual trickery down the left (the guy has it all and has dug himself into great form), and a sweet finish from Dack for our third to wrap it up.

Dack was MotM with his brace, but Lenihan was outstanding at the back; the guy is absolute class and quality, and should be playing for a Championship promotion contender. Let's hope that's us next season.

Nyambe made a few mistakes that put us under pressure, and I heard Mowbray shouting "@#/? pass it Ryan!" after he lost the ball in the second half and allowed Wimbledon to counter. Nyambe is on a learning curve, but a very promising player. In fact, I heard a number of expletives from Tony! The benefit of listening in on a tiny ground...

Smallwood has become less of an impact than he was earlier in the season. He's a steady eddy, which is fine, but he's definitely dried up a bit.

Raya had nothing to do, but his distribution was awful. He seems to get the timing all wrong with his kicks.

I can see why Wimbledon have done reasonably well this season - they work really hard, and grind you down with their determination - somewhat like the Wimbledon of old. But, without really stepping into gear, we somehow brushed them aside comfortably in the end.

Time to sit back and watch for Shrewsbury's result on Saturday. Let's hope a new manager bounce at The Posh can ease some pressure on us!

6 hours ago, skous18 said:

Raya 6 - did not have much to do, misskicked a few balls
Williams 7 solid in defence not so good in attack
Mulgrew 8 a rock
Lenihan 9 even better than mulgrew
Nyambe 6 looked a bit shaky in defence
Payne 6 not his best game,tried hard but was wasted on the wing
Smallwood 7 an avarage game for him
Bennett 8 good goal other than that nothing special just a typical bennett performance
Dack 9 scored two goals cant really ask for much more
Graham 7 kept the ball well a couple of times, good pass for dackys goal but had no chances to score today
Armstrong 8 looked a threat every time the ball was in his feet, crackin little player

Evans 6 did not give the ball away but did not created anything either
Nuttall 6 won 4 headers straigh away when he came in but that was it, he tried thou, he did not look lazy today (aka Samuel)
Antonsson had no time to do whatever

Cheers skous !

Great win ..lovely goals..Everyone though from six or under though shouldnt have too much of a long term future at Rovers if they cant do it now in a champion chasing team they aint going to do much when if we start to struggle. 

A very professional performance from all concerned.  We looked quite comfortable, particularly in the second half when Evans replaced Payne.  The defence looked sound, with Lenihan beginning to really look the part in the centre.  Dack and Graham have a great understanding up front and seem to intuitively know where each other is going to be and Bennett gave another excellent performance in midfield.  Ironic that despite all the warnings about the weather the only real snow we saw was in Blackburn before we left and in Blackburn when we got back!

The best four performances away from home in my opinion have been at Bradford, Scunthorpe, Wigan and last night. Aside from winning the common denominator has been clean sheets backed up by hard work and no frills. I have always said we can score in most games so keeping clean sheets means results. It was good to see the changes Mowbray made last night were pretty much like for like and didn't necessitate positional changes for players. 

Simple is best and often most effective.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The best four performances away from home in my opinion have been at Bradford, Scunthorpe, Wigan and last night. Aside from winning the common denominator has been clean sheets backed up by hard work and no frills. I have always said we can score in most games so keeping clean sheets means results. It was good to see the changes Mowbray made last night were pretty much like for like and didn't necessitate positional changes for players. 

Simple is best and often most effective.

Totally agree that the like-for-like substitutions helped last night. Game was going ok so why change.

Thought Evans has looked much better in the last two games - having 3/4 creative players in front of him allows him to sit, pick up the loose balls and quickly move it onto the front players.

Good professional performance after a shaky first half - wouldn't it be great to put two good halves together in one game on Sunday!

Worse view I've had at a professional clubs ground since the Baseball Ground for a cup-tie in 1975(?)!! The view at places like Welling and Kidderminster in the cup was miles better ;-)

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I don't know whether its been said already, but.... The atmosphere and event in Blues Bar last night was excellent.

Credit to the club for putting it on. Will be hoping some more away games are being shown 'on beamback' between now and May.

Is there a limit of how many they can show per season?

Great result last night and on Saturday. We ground 6 points out, as was required.

Mowbray and the team deserve great credit for that.

I just hope and pray Tony isn't tempted to tinker with the 4-2-3-1 formation on Sunday that has served us well.

Archived