BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dominic Samuel

Thought that Samuel and Antonsson worked well earlier in the season. Think he does a lot right when i have seen him as sub but obviously a tough job to come on for DG when the team is already nervous.

Decent enough return first half of season and good enough with the other bits whenever i have seen him for L1 and possibly mid championship but needs players pushing forward in support.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My first impressions of him was that he was a grafter who would make goals for the team by his work rate but wouldn't be a prolific scorer because he lacked that sharpness around goal. Well I was right about the goalscoring.

What he said

I’m not sure he is the kind of player who will do well with Mowbray’s “squad game” regime. He looks to have a bit of an ego, like most strikers, but needs a run of games. He fell out of form quite early in that campaign and Nuttall came in and stated well. Then Mowbray dropped Nuttall and brought Samuel back. Not sure this has helped either player.

Unless a player is a clear stand out (and fan favourite) like Dack, Smallwood and Graham, or an easier drop like Caddis and Gladwin, then they are on a rotation schedule. At times he can’t even decide who to drop e.g. Bell and Williams.

We have an embarrassment of riches at the moment and have to hope that Mowbray is being extremely cute in this rotation policy and that he now has a strong squad of first team regulars to cope with injuries or suspensions. However, the consequence is that the rhythm of the team changes week after week and we seem to grind out results due our ability to concede soft goals and lack of organisation at corners, in particular.

Confidence players like Samuel, who I’m not especially fond of, will struggle in this set up whereas grafting, utility players like Antonsson or, even, Bennett will do well. Besides I’m not sure any striker wants to be dropped, they usually want to be the main man.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

I’m not sure he is the kind of player who will do well with Mowbray’s “squad game” regime. He looks to have a bit of an ego, like most strikers, but needs a run of games. He fell out of form quite early in that campaign and Nuttall came in and stated well. Then Mowbray dropped Nuttall and brought Samuel back. Not sure this has helped either player.

Unless a player is a clear stand out (and fan favourite) like Dack, Smallwood and Graham, or an easier drop like Caddis and Gladwin, then they are on a rotation schedule. At times he can’t even decide who to drop e.g. Bell and Williams.

We have an embarrassment of riches at the moment and have to hope that Mowbray is being extremely cute in this rotation policy and that he now has a strong squad of first team regulars to cope with injuries or suspensions. However, the consequence is that the rhythm of the team changes week after week and we seem to grind out results due our ability to concede soft goals and lack of organisation at corners, in particular.

Confidence players like Samuel, who I’m not especially fond of, will struggle in this set up whereas grafting, utility players like Antonsson or, even, Bennett will do well. Besides I’m not sure any striker wants to be dropped, they usually want to be the main man.

I agree with a lot of that Stuart. We certainly have " an embarrassment of riches " at this level. However I don't see Antonnson as a utility player. He seems more suited to that floating left sided auxiliary striker role that he was playing before he got injured. I'd still prefer Armstrong in that role but Antonnson is handy as a back up.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with a lot of that Stuart. We certainly have " an embarrassment of riches " at this level. However I don't see Antonnson as a utility player. He seems more suited to that floating left sided auxiliary striker role that he was playing before he got injured. I'd still prefer Armstrong in that role but Antonnson is handy as a back up.

A striker who converted to a winger, no?

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Only seen Bell play once and can't say was too impressed with him thus you can see why players that aren't that good come in and out as they struggle.

• Like 1

In my opinion, we do not play passes to Samuels strengths, which for me is a quick turn and a bit of pace. Yesterday when he came on we where playing the ball to him exactly the same as we had been playing it to Graham. The main problem with that is that he hasn't got Grahams close control or aerial ability. The balls should have been played ten yards further forward to make the defenders turn and give Samuel a chance 

• Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's not really a winger though is he ?  He just occupies that area of the pitch sniffing out goalscoring opportunities. Being fair to the lad when they come along he puts them away.

Agreed. But he plays out wide and gives it his all without complaining. Looks to have a good attitude. That’s the point I was originally trying to make.

Just now, rigger said:

In my opinion, we do not play passes to Samuels strengths, which for me is a quick turn and a bit of pace. Yesterday when he came on we where playing the ball to him exactly the same as we had been playing it to Graham. The main problem with that is that he hasn't got Grahams close control or aerial ability. The balls should have been played ten yards further forward to make the defenders turn and give Samuel a chance 

Spot on. Graham is no good unless you play the ball right up to him with his back to goal and Samuel is no good unless you play balls in front of him to try to run on to. If you reverse it Graham hasn't got the pace to get onto anything, and Samuel hasn't got the close control to play with his back to goal.

We played to Graham's strengths perfectly when he was on yesterday but played exactly the same when Samuel came on as well.

He's looked poor for a long time now. However in October people were saying Graham was lazy, didn't care and should be sold and that Samuel should start. Graham actually needed a run of games rather than a few cameos here and there to get his confidence and form back. Similar applies here.

I'm not saying he is great, and if he went I wouldn't be sorry, but it's unfair to think this is a good as he is based on Twenty minutes here and there and a couple of starts on the wing, especially when he has looked quite handy earlier in the season.

• Like 1

Mentioned in a conversation with @chaddyrovers in another thread. Albeit my loose comparison to Loon Best was taken out of context and got peoples backs up.

Hes got certain attributes but he came with previous managers having given up on his poor attitude, he never threatens to do anything noteworthy, the application isnt there,  hes not got the ability either, even at this level and hopefully he will move on in the summer. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Mentioned in a conversation with @chaddyrovers in another thread. Albeit my loose comparison to Loon Best was taken out of context and got peoples backs up.

Hes got certain attributes but he came with previous managers having given up on his poor attitude, he never threatens to do anything noteworthy, the application isnt there,  hes not got the ability either, even at this level and hopefully he will move on in the summer. 

You make the comparison to Leon Best which was completely unjustified. No wonder it got people back up. 

Previous managers? Mowbray signed him here after having him at Coventry on loan, so Mowbray hadnt giving up on him tho. 

Look yesterday, the service to him was poor and attacking wise we were poor second half. Still chasing the ball down and look to work hard. So very unfair to say Application not there. Samuel isnt a target man like Graham is. He needs a run of games just like Graham did back in November. 

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You make the comparison to Leon Best which was completely unjustified. No wonder it got people back up. 

Previous managers? Mowbray signed him here after having him at Coventry on loan, so Mowbray hadnt giving up on him tho. 

Look yesterday, the service to him was poor and attacking wise we were poor second half. Still chasing the ball down and look to work hard. So very unfair to say Application not there. Samuel isnt a target man like Graham is. He needs a run of games just like Graham did back in November. 

Only because you either ignored my point or didnt understand, the point was they both have attributes that are useful, power and pace, enough for managers to take a chance of, and I suggested that I hope that Samuel doesnt have a similar career, ie many clubs but never really finding a home due to a poor attitude.

I know, but he clearly isnt convinced, hence him being dropped.

Samuel doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the team, in his chances hes looked ineffective and disinterested, the opposite of Graham, he doesnt deserve a run of games.

Where is this poor attitude assertion about Samuel coming from? He was excellent for us earlier in the season and simply hasn't been given much game time for most of this year due to Graham's form.

He's worked hard when he's come on and gotten into good goalscoring positions, but has been missing too many lately. I can't believe people are already writing him off and wanting to get shut. 

• Like 1